Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: So what have you been doing?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 23:27

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  

Also, when I get into university (in one week!) I plan on joining the American Chemical Society Student Affiliates. I'm especially interested in doing outreach in public schools.
I recommend this very highly.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:58

The ACSSA did some demonstrations at yesterday's chem orientation. Some HMTD was detonated and the iodine clock reaction was performed (a video is linked on the Rador Labs thread, but I didn't get the HMTD detonation). I mentioned that I'm a hobby chemist when the professor asked us why we picked chemistry as our majors and suddenly everyone wants to collaborate with me on research projects. :cool:

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 10:29

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
The ACSSA did some demonstrations at yesterday's chem orientation. Some HMTD was detonated and the iodine clock reaction was performed (a video is linked on the Rador Labs thread, but I didn't get the HMTD detonation). I mentioned that I'm a hobby chemist when the professor asked us why we picked chemistry as our majors and suddenly everyone wants to collaborate with me on research projects. :cool:

I'm so jealous. Even if we did have a ACSSA branch at my university, I'm a bioengineering major and not chemistry or chemical engineering, so I probably couldn't work with them.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 11:00

It's an informal group, actually. You just need to be interested in chemistry. But I don't know anything about starting such a group.

[Edited on 1.10.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 13:05

Prepping (early) for the ACS Chemistry Olympiad.

Argentum
Harmless

Mood: UV light

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 14:24

Wanted to fill some balloons with hydrogen gas. So I thought of building a generator with glassware. But I decided to build it with bottles instead. One of the bottles almost imploded, if i had made it with glassware I would be regreting of that. Oh, and balloons were a little loose so I did not catch any hydrogen. Anyways, I've learned something useful today.

I would upload a picture but I still cannot figure how
Jylliana92
Harmless

Mood: Eager

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 08:37

So... I have these 60L vessels with chemical waste, one of four is filled with heavy metals(aq).
It was almost full, and I read somewhere that adding a massive amount of sodium bicarbonate to the fluid will precipitate most of the metals as carbonates, the remaining fluid could be flushed down the drain.
I did as described, and then I discovered that it was a bad idea, because some giant foam slushy stuff started to slowly expand and ooze over the top of the vessel... at this point I started to slightly panic(60L is not just a little bit).

Opened all the doors and windows, put on my best protective gear and started wiping up the dense, green foam. At this point I was kinda hating myself of not thinking this through. Now my volume of heavy metal waste is even bigger than before! Darn it...

Jylliana
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bubbly ^-^

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 08:41

So... I have these 60L vessels with chemical waste, one of four is filled with heavy metals(aq).
It was almost full, and I read somewhere that adding a massive amount of sodium bicarbonate to the fluid will precipitate most of the metals as carbonates, the remaining fluid could be flushed down the drain.
I did as described, and then I discovered that it was a bad idea, because some giant foam slushy stuff started to slowly expand and ooze over the top of the vessel... at this point I started to slightly panic(60L is not just a little bit).

Opened all the doors and windows, put on my best protective gear and started wiping up the dense, green foam. At this point I was kinda hating myself for not thinking this through. Now my volume of heavy metal waste is even bigger than before! Darn it...

[Edited on 28-10-2014 by Jylliana]

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 09:39

Try adding sodium carbonate instead of bicarbonate. Ensure first that the waste is basic to litmus. (with NaOH) This will precipitate some metals as well as prevent a lot of CO2 from forming when the carbonate is added. Bicarbonate tends to release CO2 and isn't really a good choice.

Work with a smaller sample of the waste as a test. This will also help you determine how much solid you need to dispose of after settling and filtering.

What kind of metals are in the waste?

Jylliana
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 10:02

All sorts of stuff.. mostly lead, manganese and copper, I think, but the school's science program is so diverse that I think the entire periodic table is practically in there(of course, only the metals that are kind of commonly available).

I'll try it out with a small sample first, neutralize it and then add the carbonate. Should've know that..

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 10:15

I've been considering doing something similar with my toxic waste bucket (which is just about 2.5 gallons). It mainly contains copper, chromium, manganese, and barium compounds. I tried on a small scale and it worked fine using sodium carbonate to precipitate it. Bicarbonate worked too, but it was a huge pain to control the CO<sub>2</sub> off-gassing.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 10:41

I think I mentioned it in another thread somewhere, but what I usually do once I get a gallon or two of waste is to mix it with quikcrete portland cement (using the waste sludge as the water for the cement mix) until the cement is of a thick consistency, then let it solidify in a big chunk on some newspaper. The hard chunk(s) can just go out with the trash since it is expected that landfills already are full of heavy metals anyway, and the cement works to keep them from leaching.

If you are disposing of waste for the school, make sure you are in compliance with state and federal regulations or it could cost you heavy fines/jail time (if you live in the USA anyway).

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 11:34

If the waste contains copper compounds, adding sodium carbonate will still result in carbon dioxide due to the hydrolysis of copper carbonate so watch out for that.
Jylliana
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 04:16

Sodium Carbonate works much better. It still bubbles, but there's no excessive foam formation.
This could work :)

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2014 at 05:43

I have a jam jar of manganese gunk. For smaller reactions, I prefer using such containers for waste. But I always try to collect the 'waste' as it's best not to waste reagents. Especially heavy metals.

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 31-10-2014 at 18:44

I am currently toying with the idea to see if I can extract potassium chloride from barqs root beer just for the hell of it.

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 31-10-2014 at 20:37

Quote: Originally posted by gardul  
I am currently toying with the idea to see if I can extract potassium chloride from barqs root beer just for the hell of it.
Sounds very aggravating and fruitless. Good luck!

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 31-10-2014 at 20:50

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Quote: Originally posted by gardul  
Sounds very aggravating and fruitless. Good luck!

I am sure It will fail... but it could be fun? Could learn some things from doing this rather pointless experiment. who knows..

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 31-10-2014 at 20:56

It's true, you definitely could. I shouldn't be so pessimistic, as I am also prone to doing rather pointless seeming things for no particularly good reason.
The other day I boiled down a few mL of concentrated iodophor cleaner because I read that it was possible to obtain pure iodine from it that way. I set it up with a cold flask above the boiling beaker, but I wasn't able to condense any of the vapors. It seems like the amount was just too small. They were visible though. Beautiful violet iodine vapors can't be beat, even when they can't be salvaged for any purpose. I'd say that was worth it for the experience.

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 31-10-2014 at 21:26

I am sure I will wind up with some nasty goo. I have to figure out how to seperate it from the suger.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:30

Finally got some more hydrogen peroxide, so I'll be oxidizing stuff again :)
Just curious, are there any profitable reactions that involve table sugar as a reagent for the amateur chemist?

blargish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Mode Push

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:45

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

Just curious, are there any profitable reactions that involve table sugar as a reagent for the amateur chemist?

Erm, Benedict's Reagent? If you for some reason need Copper I oxide... (I believe sucrose only gives a positive test if you acidify it)

My personal main use of sugar is merely as a fuel in pyrotechnics

Anything interesting planned with the peroxide?

BLaRgISH
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 13:09

Quote: Originally posted by blargish  
Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

Erm, Benedict's Reagent? If you for some reason need Copper I oxide... (I believe sucrose only gives a positive test if you acidify it)

My personal main use of sugar is merely as a fuel in pyrotechnics

Anything interesting planned with the peroxide?

OK. I meant more or less organic reactions, as I don't need B's reagent to tell me sucrose is sugar :)

And no, no interesting plans. Any (Non-pyrotechnic) suggestions?

[Edited on 11-2-2014 by The Volatile Chemist]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 15:09

Well I ignited a sugar/potassium chlorate mix for the kids to watch over the weekend. But I am not sure that is what you mean by profitable.

As for what I have been up to... I tidied my lab. Well, kinda. My lab is a shared space with a whole lot of other things and I cleaned up the lab bit, unpacked some boxes, sorted and stacked the chemicals so I can see what is there. I still have some labelling to do so I haven't done a count on how many elements are in my collection. And I have lost a packet of stir bars. Can't find them anywhere.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 16:21

Profitable reaction using sucrose you say?

Moonshine.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top