Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pump for high temperature liquids.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 24-2-2005 at 20:24
Pump for high temperature liquids.

Recently I was considering some reactions that require the use of catalyst tubes. And many of these tubes require somewhat high temperatures 100 < T < 250C I was considering just using one of my existing Liebig condensers for this job. Pack it with the catalyst material, use my existing glassware, etc.

The problem is of course the heat. Solved if I could find a pump that I could drop in a pan that could pump hot oil through the condenser. High temperature hoses are widely avalible for the automotive industry, some radiator hoses rated for over 375C, so I can just run the oil or whatever with that. But the pump, I was thinking maybe some sort of fuel injector but I'm welcoming any other suggestions.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 24-2-2005 at 20:39
Peristaltic Pump

If you have a high temp resistant hose, you could I guess make yourself a peristaltic pump, using silicone tubing or something. I have one back at home, and find them very efficient, and easy to make.
All it needs is a slow electric motor, a wheel with small rolling weels on the perimeter, and the tubing. You could either suck up the cold oil and heat it after the pump (continuously, requires good heater), or you could simply suck up the hot oil, which then goes through the peristaltic pump and straight into the condenser.

[Edited on 2-3-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 24-2-2005 at 22:21

I wouldnt use a Liebig for this. A glass or whenever feasible a metaltube, some NiCr wire and a dimmer I would say.

Lightubes are ok . the thin glass makes an excellent heattransfer, metal is better of course.

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 24-2-2005 at 22:27

That was actually my origional plan, I can buy burets cheap so I was just going to use a 50 ml buret as my catalyst tube and wrap in Ni-Cr and fiberglass insulation, but the Liebig seemed easier, no dimmer or Ni-Cr wire to buy. I mean, as always it's going to be awhile before I get anything done, but it still didn't seem like a bad idea to me. What would make you prefer the dimmer to the Liebig anyway, except the possibility of a hose flying off and spraying 200C oil everywhere without mercy and possibly leading to a fire?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
frogfot
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 24-2-2005 at 23:17

Wire heater sure sounds cleaner.. maby a layer of heat leading material around the wire would help to keep even temp and make it possible to measure it..

The simplest solution with oil pump would be to connect both hoses from condenser to a vertical metallic pipe. Top hose should be connected to the metal pipe through a T connection an thereby make a hole in the system (to prevent overpressurising). The metallic pipe should be heated.. Hopefully this will circulate the oil.. This should give better heat control than the wire heating.
bio2
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2005 at 02:02
tube heater

If you are set on a fluid type heating system I think frogfoot is on the right track here but you will probably need some sort of small expansion tank not just a hole which will possibly fume out the lab. Even Therminol high temp transfer oil has to be in a sealed system as degradation occurs from air contact at the higher temps and the vapor pressure is high enough that it will fume somewhat (smells like burning brake fluid). Silicone oil not so much but since you have to heat the oil anyway I would go with Organikums suggestion.

Using oil a pump probably isn't needed as a strategically located expansion tank with correct tubing sizing will circulate effectively by convection for this application. Take a look at the Aldrich catalog as they have a convection condensor cooler that will show you the concept.

One thing to keep in mind is that oil not only has a large thermal lag compared to just a coil
it also stores considerable heat. You may want this but if you need to lower the temp in a hurry due to an exotherm etc. you ain't gonna be able to do it. A NiCr coil with the proper phase control (dimmer) will keep a steady temp even set manually provided the voltage doesn't drift. Or use the thermocouple or RTD you will measure with to control the triac. A PID control isn't cheap though.
searat
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2005 at 05:46

heat the oil up(any way), then use argon to force it throught the pipe.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 25-2-2005 at 07:33

How dows that work in a continuously circulatiung system?
BrAiNFeVeR
Harmless

Mood: busy

[*] posted on 1-3-2005 at 09:54

Perhaps you can make yourself some sort of archimedes screw-like pump ?

Not that hard to construct with limited materials, although some welding or turning skills could come in handy.

If you have pressurized inert gas you can use that injected in a vertical pipe type mammoth pump, but the gas will carry away quite a bit of heat ...

If you are going to use that you might aswell cool the oil using a heat exchanger (another liebig cooler perhaps ?) and pump it with a low temperature pump to your higher reservoir.

The only energy efficiƫnt method is buy a high temperature pump I'm afraid.
Or use the peristaltic pump idea, that good too, but harder too construct.

Visit my site => http://brainfever.2ya.com
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 1-3-2005 at 13:18

Get a used car oil pump from a wreckers yard. Add an electric motor to dive the thing and voila! a high temp electric oil pump!
BrAiNFeVeR
Harmless

Mood: busy

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 15:16

Yes, that would be ideal, but finding a proper and safe coupling to connect your motor and the wreckers oil pump is often the biggest problem.

I've been having the same problems with my pump :(

Visit my site => http://brainfever.2ya.com
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 20:02

V-belt and pulleys from engineering shop. The oil pump probably has a v-belt pulley on it already.
kyanite
Hazard to Self

Mood: lactamic

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 15:19

Hydraulic Sytems are beautiful. If you could find a mini pump or if your desparate, a piston(add flow check valves). They're designed for oil, are very sturdy, and can take alot of pressure.

Just make sure you get the right connectors and that theyre sealed... Vegie oil spills are a pain to clean and if it's not tight it can goes all over the place. :o
The oil wasnt hot but its happened to me before. This partner of mine doesn't do any checks(the manifold was the problem) and when he went to test the system, the whole area was sprayed with vegie oil and it got onto everything....
sorry for being the OT

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by kyanite]

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by kyanite]

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 10:22

Go To Top