Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zinc spray
haydz
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 16:30
Zinc spray

I found this zinc spray in the garage and was wondering if it would be suitable to dry and make into a powder for a Zn/S reaction?

It says "99% pure zinc" so i cant see why it wouldnt work?

Should i just dry it, or is there a better method of extracting the Zn?

zinc.JPG - 59kB
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 17:02

There will be some 'glue' of sorts in there. Perhaps spraying it into acetone, and filtering out the zinc and washing with more acetone would remove the glue.

[Edited on 13-3-2005 by rogue chemist]

Phel
Hazard to Self

Mood: viscous creep

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 17:36

I have succesfully done the method you mentioned, using acetone in a small glass jar.

Adding the acetone to the paint gave an oily liquid phase on top of the liquid, which was decanted after a few hours and washed again with acetone. It was then boiled down untill complete dryness. I noticed, that not all the glue was gone, since I came off with a rock hard layer of zink at the bottom.
I was able to crush it with a metal rod, and ended with a powder, that was anywhere from dust to almost coarse granules (because of the glue.)
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 17:47

Yes, I tried the same with ultrafine Al powder from Al paints. Sprays didn't work well at all, despite using acetone. Al paints were somewhat better, particularly if it is the acrylic type (water soluble), and if you have a centrifuge (filtering does not work well. Of course you can just let it settle if you are patient). However, I found that repeated washing with H2O would cause the oxidation of the Al, and you'd be left with an oxide/hydroxide mix.
Doing this with acrylic Zn sprays should work better though, as Zn won't be oxided as easily.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top