Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mettler H10
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 23-3-2005 at 10:44
Mettler H10

I just bough an old used Mettler H10, which kinda suffered a bit from the travel, now i'm wondering how to get everything work back. Anybody had experience with Mettle Hx scale that could help me? The middle arm seem to be misplaced or something, it's hard to explain. I'll try harder if someone can actually help...
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 23-3-2005 at 10:54

too lazy to coherently type out the nature of the problem? try harder...

Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2005 at 12:08

Lol i found out the problem, the triangular piece which press the middle shaft was caught in a mirror, so i didn't saw it first and wasn't moving when i was gently shaking the balance, so the kind of U piece which hold the plate had no place to stand. After 2hours of work I finally figured it out. Now I just need to understand how to increment the weight by 0.10 since the knob only move 10.0, 1.0, 0.0010 and 0.0001. Anyone has a manual?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Z-Row
Harmless

Mood: Bemused

[*] posted on 30-3-2005 at 12:27
Manual

You may be able to download one if you register with Mettler-Toledo as a customer. I didn't register (since I'm not a customer) so I don't know. They're certainly the best place to start your search.
http://www.mt.com
You can order one from these guys. No cost posted.
http://www.testequipmentcanada.com/m.html
A quick howto for a high school honors chemistry class:
http://www.eurekacityschools.org/ehs/benzinger/analytical_ba...
and other stuff in the parent directory:
http://www.eurekacityschools.org/ehs/benzinger/
This university level document gives a bit more detail:
http://www2.mhc.ab.ca/users/pavelich/Chem201/C1L00_N.pdf
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2005 at 10:43

Analytical scales through the mail...that's like using a solid rocket booster to transport crystal glass...

I wouldn't vouch for accuracy on that thing anymore...

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2005 at 10:59

Actually I was able to test the accuracy using Calibration Weight (Gram, 2 Grams, and 5 Grams) and it give me a good reading, it seem pretty ok so. I will need to test with 0.1g, 0.01g and 0.001g now, i'll ask at school. But in overall I was surprised how in a good state it was, specialy for 50$CAN (35$CAN of shipping). These Mettler scale are sturdy as a rock.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 24-7-2006 at 16:36
Mettler H10T/H20T

Thought that I'd scan this even though it is rather late-than-never, since not many of these old manuals are available on the net. It cost me $5 at a local auction. The scale was included with it for free, fully locked down for transport and with only superficial cosmetic wear (on the pan and corners) despite being at least 33 years old. I also got at the same auction a Sartorius top-loading that was tossed out by the lab because it gave no indication of working. A meter revealed that this was due to a burned-out light bulb. Like the Mettler, there was a working spare in the spare holder, and the full range of calibration weights showed perfection. No one wants the old non-LCD scales, even with the prices for new analytical scales, so they're practically giving them away.

http://rapidshare.de/files/26900560/mettler_h10t_h20t_manual...
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 24-7-2006 at 16:58

I also have a Mettler analytical balance; seems very accurate thusfar in its use though the Vernier dial is annoying to read. I need to check what model this is that way I can scan the manual.

Both of my scales took transport pretty well, contrary to Vulture's statement (though I transported it myself from where I picked up with lots of TLC). S.C. Wack is right about everyone hating the old analytical balances: all about digital now.
tod
Harmless

Mood: bliss

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 06:29

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack
Thought that I'd scan this even though it is rather late-than-never, since not many of these old manuals are available on the net. It cost me $5 at a local auction. The scale was included with it for free, fully locked down for transport and with only superficial cosmetic wear (on the pan and corners) despite being at least 33 years old. I also got at the same auction a Sartorius top-loading that was tossed out by the lab because it gave no indication of working. A meter revealed that this was due to a burned-out light bulb. Like the Mettler, there was a working spare in the spare holder, and the full range of calibration weights showed perfection. No one wants the old non-LCD scales, even with the prices for new analytical scales, so they're practically giving them away.

http://rapidshare.de/files/26900560/mettler_h10t_h20t_manual...

May I request that you reup this file? I also aquired an H10 because it was so much cheaper than its digital counterpart. I am having trouble finding a downloadable manual, though.

ie, I did email testequipmentcanada.com, and have received no reply.

Back to topic, if you could reup your manual file to rapidshare, I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you for your time.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 09:37

I second, i couldn't dwl it when you posted it, sorry.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 15:42

Well now, it is different than the plain H10 that you two have, but its certainly very close; as are many others of that era. I also have an older working Mettler (from their green color scheme era, also priced at $5) and its somewhat different in several aspects, so I know what close is.

Since the pictures are so important, its pretty big for 14 pages, 27MB. But I won't upload it to rapidshare this time, since someone always says "I can't..." when I do.

http://d.turboupload.com/d/974268/mettler_h10t_h20t_manual.p...
tod
Harmless

Mood: bliss

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 18:05

S.C. Wack, thank you very much for reposting the directions. As I read through them, I realized that these are the instructions for the H10t and the H20t (only one knob difference, being that knob 25 is not present on the H10 [as the H10 only reads to 0.1mg]).

You have helped me to save quite a bit of cash, as I really wanted a 0.1mg scale but did not want to shell out the dough for a Mettler AE ***.

Again, thank you for your time.

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by tod]
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 18:37

Thanks you too. :)

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 16:03

After being MIA for 2 years, I am back! Its nice to see how so many of you guys are still here :D

Sooo... I have an H20T coming in sometime, and I was wondering if anyone still has the manual? Of course, I'm gonna take the challenge of trying to figure it out without the manual, but incase I fail, the manual would be nice. Anyone? :D

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 20-3-2008 at 01:27

http://www.4shared.com/file/41343472/b420a38c/mettler_h10t_h...
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2008 at 22:19

Awesome! Thanks :D Can't wait for the scale to get here now :D

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 01:31

Vulture, if I wanted an analytical scale how do you propose I obtain one without using the mail? Also, isn't mostly every product of commerce or industry carried by truck (most likely) or train at some point? Surely they don't have people delivering scales on foot?!

[Edited on 22-3-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 05:47

Analytical scales should not go through normal mail. You either need to pick upthe thing yourself, or you should use a special transportation company, who know how to handle VERY delicate things like analytical balances. Normal mail personnel like to play soccer with the parcels :P

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 06:43

I did receive mine by mail though, standard express mail. As it happen it came with pieces not at their place but I ended up putting it back together nicely. Using standard weight i found out that I had 0.3mg of innacuracy, which is good for me anyway. But a friend of mine did the same thing and received his completely broken. So i guess it's a lucky shot, really depend on how much you pay.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 08:00

Thing is, the old mechanical scales need to be transported in at least upright position, which is already too much for most parcel services. I've had UPS & DHL deliver boxes marked "this side up" upside down or sideways without blinking an eye. Nevermind the kind of abuse they get through in the back of a van.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 13:09

So, my H20T came in pieces, as expected. I managed to put all the weights back where they are supposed to be, but I cant seem to get the balance beam to remain on the knife edges. It always ends up falling off at some point when I'm turning the knobs :(

It also doesnt help that the lever to arrest the pan is missing, so i I have turn the remaining post to accomplish that. I still havent figured out how positions 0,1, and 1/2 manipulates the internals of the balance. Nothing seems to move when I look in the top, but I definately hear something when I switch it.

I also, I cant get the display to light up. The light bulb at the back works, but I cant seem to see any light hitting the mirrors. Also, I opened the side and looked into where bottom mirror is, and I see a small lightbulb/led, but it doesnt light up :( (grrr... Must figure out how to open the bottom to replace that light without destroying the scale).

Anyway, I'm kinda ticked about that light. Spent quite a few hours trying to figure this thing out. lol

Could someone who has an H20T please post a few pics of how the insides are supposed to be? That would greatly help me, since the pics in the manual are not really that high definition :D

[Edited on 3/29/2008 by Saerynide]

Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 05:47

W00T. After 3 hours of fiddling with lasers and leds, I got the optical display working. For some reason, that light in the bottom isn't necessary.... I wonder what its for? To color the display?

Now I just need to test repeatability on this thing. Everytime something disturbs the balance beam (like accidentally bumping the pan too hard, I have to calibrate it again :mad:

I'm also still not really seeing the affect of the 0,1, and 1/2 switch O.o

Go To Top