Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hexamine Diperchlorate
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

[*] posted on 24-12-2002 at 11:06
Hexamine Diperchlorate

i have always been interested in perchlorates. so today i decided to make hexamine diperchlorate.

i took the method for hexamine dinitrate off of Mr Cools site and subsituted the NH4NO3 for NH4ClO4. i also cut the ratios in half.

i added 5 grams of NH4ClO4 to 17ml of 28% HCl. i swirled it to disolve the HCl. of course it didnt all disolve so i added 15ml of water, most of it dosolved but there was still NH4ClO4.i poured off the liquid onto 2.5g of hexamine and stirred for a couple seconds as the solution turned white with precipitate. i quickly filtered it and washed with acetone.

i dried it, i got about 2 grams. i burned some after it dried and sometimes it burns fast, sometimes it pops, and sometimes it crackles. it leaves a black residue. i also hit some with a hammer on an anvil, it goes off unreliably, but the hammer i was useing is small.

i might detonate it. has anyone else made any other perchlorates?

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DeusExMachina
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2002 at 12:24

do you have any pictures?
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2002 at 13:22

nope, i can take some if u want but theres not really much to see, it looks like HDN. a white crystaline powder.

i am probaly gona make more and detonate it

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DeusExMachina
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2002 at 13:28

well, a better idea would be to try to take a few pictures or maybe even a movie clip thing of the detonation since looking at a picture of white crystals isn't the most exciting thing.
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2002 at 13:34

yeah, i will at least take pics of the damage and charge, etc. the standard set of pics for a det

kingspaz
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-12-2002 at 14:42

don't you just have hexamine dichloride?
ClO4- is a weaker base than Cl- so when you mix a perchlorate salt with HCl you just get a solution of ammonium perchlorate in HCl. you need an acid stronger than perchloric to make perchloric from it. like HSO4- is a weaker base than NO3- so when you mix a xNO3 with H2SO4 the NO3- accepts H+ in preference to the HSO4- therefore making xHSO4 and HNO3.
of course you could look at it another way. in the solution you have Cl- and ClO4- aswell as H+ and NH4+.hexamine forms salts by the nitrogen forming a dative bond to an H+ through its lone pair. ClO4- being a weaker base than Cl- will give up an H+ more easily. therefore it would be more stable to have an ionic lattice of ClO4- and hexamineH2^2+ than Cl- and the hexamine since there would be a more mid way equilibrium between the reaction as the Cl- holds onto its H+'s better. so even though no free HClO4 forms the salt can still be made, provided what i said above is correct....can somebody verify this?
kingspaz
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-12-2002 at 14:44

scrap my first line of the my original response above.
dam not being able to edit!!!
:mad:
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2002 at 03:27

hmm, it definately seems to have formed. it is definately explosive. i have read about a method for makeing HClO4 with HCl at

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

rikkitikkitavi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2002 at 04:24

mixing NaClO4 with excess of HCl preciptates NaCl almost fully , since it shows little solubility in excess HCl. Left is
HClO4-HCl solution which easily can be separated by distillation since they differ so much in boiling point at their aezotropic points. This is a method used in the industry today, when more exotic methods of membrane technology -eletrolysis isnt used :)

BTW :I could kill for a cation-anion exchange membrane for making f e x sulfuric acid and lye from
sodium sulfate by electrolysis :)

/rickard
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 25-12-2002 at 22:36

Wouldn't it be possible to prepare purer hexamine perchlorate by reacting moist ammonium perchlorate with hexamine? It should generate ammonia gas while preparing hexamine perchlorate - the fact that ammonia is a gas at STP should drive the equilibrium far to the right.

(CH2)6N4 + 2NH4ClO4 ----> (CH2)6N4*2HClO4 + 2NH3

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2002 at 06:41

that looks cool, maybe i will try that, i am going to make more for the detonation. i would also like to make some good HClO4.

osamafon
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2002 at 01:03

2NH4CLO4+H2SO4+xH2O
I think your hexamin perchlorat is not dry
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2002 at 14:30

its fairly dry, i washed it in acetone, it originaly wasnt burning well before it was dried all the way but now it is. i just made a new batch, 4 times the original one.

osamafon
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2002 at 20:05

how fast does it detonates?:):( /\

Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-12-2002 at 15:20

im not sure what the detonation velocity would be but i would say its in the 7000s from waht i have heard about hexamine dinitrate. the hexamine diperchlorate will kinda melt then crackly with little flames then it all deflagerates fast, like a little explosion, not like AP tho, not nearly that fast.

osamafon
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-1-2003 at 05:54

why all n`s are not forming bonds ? Has some one detonated it? sorry obout my english.
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2003 at 15:44
aye

what are you talking about? i detonated a little in a .45 with a small amount of HMTD.

osamafon
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2003 at 02:49

hexamin has 4 amin groups why not hexamin tetraperchlorat? how strong was it?
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2003 at 12:25

it was good, i just chucked it into the snow, so i cant really measure that, ill have to try a gram on a piece of plywood. a prpoer test.

i dont know, i have read that its "dibasic" which aparently means that 2 HNO3, HCl, HClO4, H2SO4, etc can bond to it.

Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2003 at 12:14

today i took a small cardboard tube and put 1 gram of hexamine diperchlorate in it and packed about 1/2 gram of HMTD ontop of it, and chucked it in the back yard. it was pretty damn loud.

Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 27-2-2003 at 15:23

Would it be possible to replace the ammonium perchlorate with a chlorate? I do not have any perchlorates, but I do have potassium chlorate. Can this same method be used for all of the nitrates/chlorates/perchlorates by just changing the oxidizer used?
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2003 at 17:25

i supose, but it would just be insane. HClO3 is completely unstable explosive. NH4ClO3 is also insanely unstable. chlorates as a group are very unstable, and more willing to give up their Os than perchlorates are.

so, i highly doubt hexamine dichlorate would exhist, and if it does you dont want it if you enjoy fingers. :(

edit: ammonia salts are mainly used just for their solubility

[Edited on 2/28/03 by Madog]

Haggis
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2003 at 19:46

Thanks for the bit of information regarding chlorates. I think that I shall do ammonium nitrate now like suggested instead of a chlorate.
Madog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-2-2003 at 14:43

ok, just a warning, yields suck. if you have HNO3 to make hexamine dinitrate use that, yields are far better and its purer. expect about 3 grams from 5g of hexamine for hexamine dinitrate

[Edited on 2/28/03 by Madog]

Haggis
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2003 at 09:10

Does the acid used matter? I mean, you mention using HCl...I was wondering if the reaction depended on the Cl or is it just using the hydronium ion. I'm guessing that H2SO4 would work. In the reaction, I believe ammonium chloride is formed. Ammonium chloride, IIRC, is listed as incompatable with acids. Ammonium Sulfate, IIRC is compatable. Therefore, if it works, I would think that H2SO4 would be a good choice instead of HCl.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top