Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Triphenylphosphine (TPP) for transition metal complexes
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 00:56
Triphenylphosphine (TPP) for transition metal complexes

I've been experimenting with various ligands to obtain transition metal complexes - Cu, Co and Ni for now. EDTA, ammonium hydroxide, Cl- etc. all work wonderfully, but I wonder how well would TPP perform?

[Edited on 5-10-2014 by DrMario]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 05:12

I have successfully prepared some nickel and cobalt complexes of triphenylphosphine. One was prepared using acetic acid as the solvent if I remember correctly. I can try and find the procedures later or they could probably be found by googling ex: "nickel triphenylphosphine complex preparation" or something like that.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 09:16

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
I have successfully prepared some nickel and cobalt complexes of triphenylphosphine. One was prepared using acetic acid as the solvent if I remember correctly. I can try and find the procedures later or they could probably be found by googling ex: "nickel triphenylphosphine complex preparation" or something like that.

I found info about Bis(triphenylphosphine)nickel chloride preparation. Wikipedia mentions solving in alcohols or acetic acid. Surprisingly, it's a compound used as catalyst in Suzuki reactions. Hmmm...

But I would still be very interested in your experiments.
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 10:42

Often one can be forming totally different compounds if an excess of a reagent is used, or if the reaction is done at room temperature or boiling, or in one solvent rather than another. You should look up the preparation for your desired compound in a reputable reference book such as Inorganic Syntheses if you want to have any idea of what you are actually making.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 11:07

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  
Often one can be forming totally different compounds if an excess of a reagent is used, or if the reaction is done at room temperature or boiling, or in one solvent rather than another. You should look up the preparation for your desired compound in a reputable reference book such as Inorganic Syntheses if you want to have any idea of what you are actually making.

Are you talking about the bookset published by Wiley, or "Inorganic Synthesis: Experiments In Coordination Chemistry" by Leggesse and Meazah?

If it's Wiley's bookset, I wouldn't really know where to start reading - they're at volume 37 now.
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 13:48

Triphenylphosphine is an excellent ligand for transition metal complexes.

You can even stabilize copper (I) borohydride as (Ph3P)2CuBH4. That's actually a nice little synthesis.

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by Dan Vizine]
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 03:46

Quote: Originally posted by Dan Vizine  
Triphenylphosphine is an excellent ligand for transition metal complexes.

You can even stabilize copper (I) borohydride as (Ph3P)2CuBH4. That's actually a nice little synthesis.

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by Dan Vizine]

Thank you - that's quite encouraging to hear!

Go To Top