Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Poll: What is YOUR level of education??
At school. --- 215 (37.59%)
Undergraduate degree (university/polytechnic etc.) --- 182 (31.82%)
Postgraduate degree (Masters, etc) --- 62 (10.84%)
PhD (doctorate, whatever) --- 46 (8.04%)
Professorship (assistant or full, inc. Nobel prize winners) --- 11 (1.92%)
Have completed school, but no degrees to this point :-P --- 56 (9.79%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: Poll: What is YOUR level of education??
stereochem
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 07:03

I'm still a student but not for long time. This year i'll finish and after that I'll look for something serious.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 10:04

'Whew, 'looks like I'm, by far, the least ejur-macated member on this thread!

I attended primary school here in the West of Ireland in the '50s. Following that, I went to what was called, Vocational School, for two-and-a-half years, finishing in '63.

I didn't, to my great disappointment, get to do chemistry. I did, though, get a thoroughly watered-down Irish version of physics, ugh!.
Then, with no qualifications, I ended up in a succession of menial factory-floor jobs.

Now, approaching 60---April 28/29th, (don't ask) I'm trying to sustain self+wife selling drawings and prints; son and daughter are grown-ups, with their own families now.

My interest in energetic materials is, like my interest in art, life-long and obsessive, (courtesy a mild form of autism?) and my first contact with lab-glass came when I purchased a quick-fit distillation apparatus, a few years ago.

'Probably a bit more than y'all needed to know, but what the hell!

P
Th0r
Harmless

Mood: Sociopathic.

[*] posted on 27-4-2008 at 11:31

I am currently a student...

Soon to finish school...
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 19:01

I bet there is not to many motor mechanics on this site

I was trained in 1980 and worked in that field for twenty years
and also had a friend that tought chem at uni and i done a lot of lessons with him at home which gave me the ability to do what i am doing now and that is formulation chemistry.
ex. laundry products industrial cleaning chemicals.

Would love to do a masters degree but when you work all the time it is hard.
7he3ngineer
Harmless

Mood: above average

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 01:16

Quote:

I bet there is not to many motor mechanics on this site

I'm a mechanical engineering student (3rd year:D)... maybe that's as close your going to get;)

Josh

Engineers aren\'t boring people, we\'re just interested in boring things!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-5-2008 at 12:58

This is a long thread and I haven't read all of the posts but I'm just wondering---are there any auto-didacts here, because if there are I'd kinda' like to know who they are?

If there aren't, my feelings of isolation will, most likely increase!

(sigh!). . is anyone out there. . .?

P
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 18-5-2008 at 13:32

In the field of chemistry, I am.

I have a PhD in mechatronics and a masters in electrical engineering, but chemistry is something I teached myself over the years.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 18-5-2008 at 15:53

All of stuff I know about chemistry, physics, electronics and a few other things is all self-taught. Also, doing things with my hands. I did learn a lot about metal working from a good friend but most things I taught myself. The only things I have learned in an educational setting (so far) is regular high school stuff and some intro/intermmidiate IT courses, math, history and English Composition.

As of yet I have no official "training" except for high school, optical lab technician, firearm sales, physical fitness instruction and how to drill a bowling ball and string a tennis racket. Oh yeah, CPR as well. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I would have to say at least 50% of my non-hands-on knowledge came from the internet. If it weren't for the internet I don't know what I'd know/be doing...

So, you're not alone Pulverescent.

EDIT
In respose to tumadre's post. I learned Spanish from working with Mexicans at a restaurant when I was 16. I actually became very good at it. At one point I could understand native speakers and speak almost as fast and had an extensive vocabulary. Nowadays, though, I'm VERY rusty as I hardly ever have a reason to speak it. That sucks because I really wish I could still call myself "bilingual".

Also I was homeschooled through a semester of the 8th grade, as well. I hated it. I got so lonely. It SUCKS when the only people you have to interact with all day is your parent(s). That was the least fun time of my life and I barely learned anything because I didn't really have any motivation. I couldn't go "chill" with my friends at lunch and by the time the semester was over I had lost many of my aquaintence type friends. I suppose it would be good for someone that is a bigtime loner, doesn't like people or just prefers to be at home.

[Edited on 5-18-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-5-2008 at 17:25

Aside from an excellent AP physics class in High school I have learned everything from hands on experience and the internet.

I had the experience of building robots with 4 other guys and an ex coldwar computer engineer for 4 years, learned a lot about real world design, and nothing about programming, i failed high school Spanglish too:D analog people;)

Almost forgot, I was home schooled, 1st through the 8th grade, knowing others whom the education system left them skill-less, i'd probably have been in the same state.

[Edited on 19-5-2008 by tumadre]
jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 19-5-2008 at 06:21

Finishing a Master of Science, in the pursue for my PhD.
miss_snake
Harmless

Mood: eXaMs

[*] posted on 19-5-2008 at 10:28

I am about to finish my first year in Dentistry school
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-5-2008 at 10:39

Quote:

Uh, miss_snake, weren't you required to take organic chemistry in your pre-dental curriculum?
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-5-2008 at 08:07

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
A bigtime loner, doesn't like people or just prefers to be at home.

Actually, MagicJigPipe, you've just described me succinctly---practically down to a T.

I really envy people who've had their chemistry handed to them on a plate.

Life's unfair!

P
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 00:31

Who has had their chemistry "handed to them on a plate". Certainly you are not referring to me.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 03:58

No, certainly, MagicJigPipe, I'm not, since I know your experience mirrors mine in many ways, but being envious, in any case, is not something I should be posting about, anyway.

P
miss_snake
Harmless

Mood: eXaMs

[*] posted on 29-5-2008 at 16:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
Quote:

Uh, miss_snake, weren't you required to take organic chemistry in your pre-dental curriculum?

yep this year we study organic, physical and inorganic chemistry and next year we are going to study bio chemistry
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-5-2008 at 17:04

I'm just doing my A-level exams in the UK and then I'm off to a prestigeous university here to do a masters in chemistry :P I cant wait :D:D
ExistenceGuest
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-7-2008 at 06:40

i am doing my master degree now
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 18-8-2008 at 03:27

I think it's pretty cool there are actual professors here (unless people are lying heh). I've only got a Masters and nothing remotely related to chemistry. I'm impressed by those with the patience and smarts to get tenure.

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
Sciocrat
Harmless

Mood: Scientifically curious

[*] posted on 26-8-2008 at 03:19

In a few weeks I'm starting to study materials engineering at the Faculty of chemical engineering and technology in Zagreb and I'm really looking forward to it. It's a bit frustrating that so many of you are way ahead of me, but that just serves as additional motivation :)

I'm happy that I found this place, although my activity here has been mostly limited to reading and learning, and less in participation, but I hope that will change as my knowledge will grow.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 12:59

I wish I could change my response on the poll since I'm merely 1 semester away from getting an AS degree and 5 semesters away from a BS in chemistry.

Just a small update. But it shows how quickly things can change.

DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 04:36

What does AS stand for?

I'm currently a MSc for a couple of months now I earned my Masters in Organic Chemistry.
I'm working now at a big company where they make ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene.
Done my internship at a very big pharmaceutical company for 7 months.
Probably after a while I'll start my PhD but that'll probably be in pharmaceuticals I prefer working with small new compounds rather then reactors and polymers although it is interesting.

[Edited on 10-9-2008 by DNA]
7he3ngineer
Harmless

Mood: above average

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 22:52

Quote:
What does AS stand for?

Associate degree in science?

Josh

Engineers aren\'t boring people, we\'re just interested in boring things!
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 23:02

Yeah, associate of science. I go the same amount of time as someone who is just getting a BS but I'll come out with 2 degrees and 1 certification (ACS).

2 year school to 4 year transfer.

(the 2 year school is much, much cheaper for the same classes and same amount of credits)

[Edited on 9-11-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Engager
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lagrangian

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 14:24

Graduated from D.Mendeleyev's University of Chemical Technology of Russia, specialization - engeneer of chemical technology + high energetic materials + technology of inorganic substances.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top