Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Poll: What is YOUR level of education??
At school. --- 215 (37.59%)
Undergraduate degree (university/polytechnic etc.) --- 182 (31.82%)
Postgraduate degree (Masters, etc) --- 62 (10.84%)
PhD (doctorate, whatever) --- 46 (8.04%)
Professorship (assistant or full, inc. Nobel prize winners) --- 11 (1.92%)
Have completed school, but no degrees to this point :-P --- 56 (9.79%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: Poll: What is YOUR level of education??
Swany
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sanguine

[*] posted on 21-9-2008 at 21:56

Go inorganic! I am finishing up highschool this year, eventually I am planning to get a PhD in inorganic. Right now I have funding to research poly-N-heterocyclic complexes for catalysis and other applications. That has been a most pleasurable experience, though extremely frustrating at times.
sbovisjb1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2008 at 12:10

In Universtiy going towards Computer Science Major with a Double Masters (hopefully) in Chemistry. Oh Swany love the mood Sanguine its sad that I get that Shakespearian reference. (Sanguine means you are full of rage, anger, you are hot headed etc?) I believe that reference came into effect as people in the Middle Ages believe what color your blood was (or if you have more or less) determined your temperament.

\"Chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost maniacal
impulse to seek their pleasures amongst smoke and vapour, soot and flames,
poisons and poverty, yet amongst all these evils I seem to live so sweetly
that I would rather die than change places with the King of Persia.\"
-- Johann Joachim Becher
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 17:49

Boo inorganic, roll on organic! I got a BSc(chem) and am larnin' me a Bachelor's degree in organic synthesis (doing it by research, not class credit, wheee!). It's so strange that I don't feel that qualified... it's more like "Wang-what reaction?!" and then have to look it up.

In fact, funny anecdote: I was just chatting in with my two supervisors (A doctor and a doctor well on the way to professorship), talking about the implied aromatic structure of this multi-ring system, and so on, I completely forgot the word 'carbonyl'. oh well, I can't set the bar much lower! haha

Caveat Orator
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 19:16

There is a missing option on the poll :) 'some high school'

I left high school midway and consciously went the self education route.
Best decision ever now i can suck information out of a dry rock! (in the metaphoric not geological sense :)

Ive found not having a degree more of a benefit than a hindrance having more of a folio than a resume is a good way to get noticed.

At present i work at a biomedical optics lab designing and building medical imaging systems based on this technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_coherence_tomography

Chemistry is my back shed play thing :)
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 22-4-2009 at 22:51

I'm still in the first year of upper secondary school. That's equivalent to high school for you Americans out there. :P

Although I am way ahead of others at my age in chemistry and physics, I am still miles behind most people in here. Still, I have learned a LOT, especially organic chemistry just from reading your posts. I just wish I had the capacity to start doing university grade chemistry and some higher-level math, but unfortunately, the school demands a lot of me in other subjects (which I don't really care about). :(

The first year is extremely boring, as I don't get to specialize until next year. Then I will take chemistry 1, physics 1, biology 2 and "science"-math 1. :D
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 23-4-2009 at 07:13

Quote: Originally posted by azo  
I bet there is not to many motor mechanics on this site

I was trained in 1980 and worked in that field for twenty years
and also had a friend that tought chem at uni and i done a lot of lessons with him at home which gave me the ability to do what i am doing now and that is formulation chemistry.
ex. laundry products industrial cleaning chemicals.

Would love to do a masters degree but when you work all the time it is hard.

Right here brother. Was a motor mechanic for sometime till just recently the company went under. We repaired and installed motors in yachts that we built on site. We built Davis, Topaz, a few other bigger names and alot of custom jobs.

As for level of schooling... I got kicked out when I was 16 at which time they tryed to send me to collage because of some test they had me take after all that. A 16 year old fresh from being expelled from school doesn't have many plans on going to collage at that point though. Maybe if they had some hands on sciences at my school I wouldn't have been bord enough to eventually get kicked out.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 00:19

"I'm in school now (last year). I aspire to become a chemist or maybe even a chemical engineer."

whoa- are you suggesting engineers rank above scientists? In a pre-modern, post capitalist society, maybe that's true but you're awfully young to be so cynical.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 19:04

Hahaha. I wouldn't be so quick to blame him.

That's how the department here views it too. Everyone thinks they're the shit and better than the scientists. You always hear "but he's just a scientist" being thrown around.

But I disagree with them. I've had enough of being an engineer. I'm going for a PhD after this :D (and it WILL NOT be in engineering)

[Edited on 4/25/2009 by Saerynide]

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 8-5-2009 at 11:31

I will be starting my last year of undergraduate education in the fall. I am majoring in chemistry and plan to get a PhD in either organic synthesis or inorganic/organometallic chemistry. I was able to take organic chemistry during 11th grade and was second in the class. I found inorganic to be extremely fascinating because of the labs; I actually got to conduct some fairly complicated synthesises at the university. Next semester will not be as fun; math and physics, not much time for research. Last semester I spent most of my time working in the organic lab.

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 30-5-2009 at 16:01

Since this thread seems to still be alive, I'll toss my two cents in by way of introduction.

BS and MS in engineering with minors in Physics, a BS in Biology and Chemistry, and an MD. But Chemistry has always been my main interest and I regret not getting a PhD in that subject. I may just yet try for one at some point.

I've been a huge fan of the Forum for many years and finally decided to say something instead of just lurking. Many thanks to those who contribute; I've learned much here.
basstabone
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 19:26

I am currently getting my degree in Chemistry at Texas A&M University and plan to attend graduate school but have yet to figure out where. I am planning on synthesis but that could change over the next few years as I explore chemistry more
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 23-6-2009 at 19:26

Technically, I'm a Doctor. Though such things may count for little....in terms of real world acumen.

Some can safely and effectively chop trees, and some can't.

A high percentage of the posters here have a positive attitude, seem to know what they are doing, and are generous at sharing knowledge.

It is a great pleasure to be "schooled" at this university.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 23-6-2009 at 20:00

What is interesting is this thread being 4 years since started. I wonder how the demographics have changed over time. 4 years is enough time for a degree.

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 23-6-2009 at 20:15

That is a reasonable question. On May 15th, 2009, a glitch occurred, and I was awarded the Ph.D. I don't feel any different.

Cheers,

O3

@ basstabone

There was no "glitch" per se...After all of the hoops you have to jump through, it seems like only a clerical mistake could have resulted in the release of your degree.

There is a reason that the answer to the question "how long does the Ph.D. usually take?" is usually "we have no idea".

@ entropy51
Thanks. Chemistry.

[Edited on 24-6-2009 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
basstabone
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2009 at 07:18

What do you mean by a glitch occurred?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 24-6-2009 at 09:53

Congratulations, Ozone! Is your PhDglitch in chemistry?
jwarr
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-7-2009 at 21:22

I'm undergrad at the moment, w/ a focus on pharmacy. Assuming all goes well I'll be at pharmacy school in three more semesters.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 29-7-2009 at 15:14

We should make this a poll that individual members can change their vote on.

This is because some people are advancing. As time goes on the 'curve' might shift towards higher education (excluding new and younger members).

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
thaflyemcee
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 23:15

MS in Polymer Science (Polymer Chemistry). Will be going for my PhD soon. A coworker of mine did his undergrad for Polymer Science at Case Western Reserve Univ. in Cleveland OH, and from what I see of their PhD program, I'm a fan. Anyone is welcome to try and change my mind or point me in the direction of other/cooler/better programs in the field, though.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 04:15

Second year of High School lol

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 20-7-2010 at 17:25

Third tertiary paper.

123103 - intro
123101 - org and currently
123102 - inorg

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Doktor Klawonn
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2010 at 05:55

Ph.D. and working at school. Which checkbox to activate?

Dr. K.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2010 at 14:49
education

from here i was taught how to figure out how much acid to add to a salt.its a bunch of math.i think i was taught to hate math in school.i thought MIT was an automechanic school until i saw their videos on youtube.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 20-11-2010 at 15:50

Who needs math anyhow?:o
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-1-2011 at 03:10

Mathematics, the clean the pure, the absolutely fucked up & foggy, from the age of 13 I was lucky enough to be placed in an almost Soviet style learning environment, the extra-science class shit, the lucky fuckers who actually enjoyed science, particularly physics and maths... Then the hormones kicked in and I went astray, willingly, but astray all the same.

I have two uncles in the field, Quantum Physics, Quantum Mathematics and currently fucking around, finishing an advanced diploma in a discipline I detest, having completed over half of a degree in a stream that is too cynical and full of bullshit for even me (everyone is equal before the law, the truth that is hammered home hard in 1st year law, then, and only then, comes equity, the subject that doesn't say it straight out, but actually means, if you have enough money - or influence - you can be granted a special dispensation - otherwise known as tempering the rigor and rigidity of the common law so it doesn't affect those the Judges know socially)...

Unfortunately I've paid already for the Adv. Dip. Bus, or I wouldn't fucking bother. I'm not interested in doing anything except science and mathematics, engineering is interesting, but doesn't hold the imagination long enough...

Then again, I'm apparently not quite sane, yet I do not repeat any action that has a bad outcome, whereas the majority of the people I see do... Einstein said that to repeatedly do the same thing and expect a different result is the definition of insanity, yet the majority of people do just that. Technically therefore, more properly, statistically, the norm = insane, whereas people who are outside the norm = insane...

Judgment call, I'm going to continue being abnormally normal

Another useful Einstein quote "You think you have trouble with Mathematics?"

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top