Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preparation of ε-Caprolactam
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 17:42
Preparation of ε-Caprolactam

Using a procedure in Brewster's 5th edition of Unitized Experiments in Organic Chemistry, I have prepared 4.5g of cyclohexanone oxime. (See photo below.) This will be used to prepare ε-caprolactam, a seven-membered ring amide, per Brewster.

cyclohexanone oxime.jpg - 72kB

Once the lactam is prepared it is to be extracted with CCl4, which I do not have in sufficient quantity. Therefore I would like to ask the forum members if anyone has extracted and subsequently crystallized this compound using a different solvent, and what solvent was used. Thanks in advance for your help.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 18:01

A short resume of the procedure used could be interesting Magpie, else then that, polymers are just a nice, but unexplored home chemist subject.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 18:20

There's always an alternative in orgsyn! They use chloroform to extract and vacuum distill to purify. If brewster recrystallizes from tet, I don't see why chloroform would be a problem. They have similar polarity and boiling points.

http://www.orgsyn.org/Content/pdfs/procedures/cv2p0371.pdf

The 1921 paper in Helvetica Chimica Acta uses ether to extract and a vac distillation.

The 1900 paper (first lit report of prep!) suggests a recrystallization from ether forming "magnificent crystals"

Disclaimer: I am not even somewhat fluent in German, I just did some google translating. I may have missed something.

[Edited on 10-6-14 by UnintentionalChaos]

Attachment: phplpS7l3.pdf (555kB)
This file has been downloaded 471 times

Attachment: phpOdMhlS.pdf (1.4MB)
This file has been downloaded 544 times

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 18:55

Toluene is mentioned in many patents including US4148793.

Are you going to use oleum for your next step?
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 19:44

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
A short resume of the procedure used could be interesting Magpie, else then that, polymers are just a nice, but unexplored home chemist subject.

The procedure used to make the oxime is extremely simple, requiring only a 50 mL Erlenmeyer flask. I used cyclohexanone recovered from PVC pipe cement, photography grade hydroxylamine HCl, and Ebay NaOAc sold for hot ice sculptures. The NaOAc serves as a buffer to hold the pH in the 4-5 region. Mix these reagents, cork, and shake for 3 minutes - that's all there is to it! Capture the crystals on a Buchner funnel. I washed them carefully twice with cold water as my cyclohexanone was old and yellowish. The melting point was 88-89°C compared to Brewster's value of 89-90°C. Yield was 57%.

Yes, I did check OrgSyn to see what they might have used but must have missed what you found UC. Thank you.

I do have chloroform and benzene and thought that either of these would likely be suitable. I prefer not to mess with ether if I can avoid it. Pet ether, which I also have, is used to crash the crystals out of the CCl4 in Brewster.

My procedure calls for 85% H2SO4 and self-heat to catalyze the Beckmann rearrangement to the lactam.

I should add that Brewster considers the crystallization to be a challenge, with some oil being formed.

[Edited on 6-10-2014 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 16:04

I made some more progress on this synthesis today. The cyclohexanone oxime was mixed with 85% H2SO4 to catalyze the rearrangement to ε-caprolactam. The mix is heated to 120° then the reaction proceeds violently on its own but is over quickly. As Brewster warns make sure the opening of the flask is not pointed in your direction! There was some charring as indicated by the brown color.

The product was then brought to pH 9 with strong NaOH all-the-while cooling to 5-10°C in an ice-bath. It was necessary to add ~200 mL of water just to keep the by-product Na2SO4 in solution. It would have been better to use KOH per OrgSyn.

e-caprolactam rxn mix at pH 9.jpg - 78kB
product mix at pH 9

The mix was then extracted with 3x15 mL of chloroform. This produced clean separations.

3rd 15 mL extraction with chloroform.jpg - 73kB
3rd extraction with chloroform

The combined extract is now being dried over anhydrous MgSO4. I will leave it overnight (I'm tired).

[Edited on 8-10-2014 by Magpie]

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 18:09

Here's the final steps of my synthesis of ε-caprolactam continued from above. The dried chloroform extract was filtered to remove the MgSO4. A simple distillation was used to remove the chloroform. It came over cleanly at its bp of 63°C, the lactam having a bp of 270.8°C. The lactam oil left in the pot is shown below.

e-caprolactam oil.jpg - 58kB
ε-caprolactam oil at room temperature

A known amount of chloroform was then added (~10 mL). Per Brewster (4th ed, not 5th) I then added pet ether in an effort to cause cloudiness. I’d added about 35 mL before giving up as no cloudiness appeared. Per Brewster I began to evaporate all of the pet ether using a steam bath. I realized I’d forgotten to add a boiling stone. Then in a classic beginner error (not something an experienced chemist would ever do) I tossed in the stone before cooling. NO-NO-NO-NO! You guessed it – about 75% of the extract boiled over onto the steam bath and was lost forever. (There was no fire.) Very pissed I trudged on and boiled down the remaining product to just the oil. A few mLs of pet ether was added. Still no cloudiness. In a last ditch effort I stuck the solution in the ice bath. A few seconds later I had massive crystallization.The crystals were washed with pet ether, vacuum filtered, then dried in the sun.

e-caprolactam.jpg - 125kB
ε-caprolactam crystals

Because of the boilover I won’t be able to calculate a yield. The weight of what I salvaged is 0.5g. Its mp is 67-68°C with the lit value being 69.2°C.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcomed.

CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 09:21

very nice write up ,as always
you could try to heat the caprolactam with a base to get perlon;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon_6

video on perlon -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4EuwOMAlk4
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 09:25

Thank you. I thought about that too.

CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2014 at 05:39

magpie ,you could also treat cyclohexanone directly with hydrazoic acid(sodium azide +H2SO4 ) to get caprolactam directly

sodium azide can be extracted from car air bags,there is a thread about that here

the sodium azide is (NaN3 ) is slowly added to the solution of cyclohexanone in sulphuric acid ,which liberates hydrazoic acid ,which reacts with the ketone to give the lactam

its called the schmidt reaction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_reaction

if excess N3H is used, you will get tetrazoles from ketones
so with cyclohexanone ,you will get cardiazole
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 13:14

Great experiment, other than the lost material, but that happens. If using hydrazoic acid(sodium azide +H2SO4 ), be aware that even slight traces of this can cause unconsciousness, due to lowered blood pressure. HN3 is a very potent vasodilator. One of my professors nearly killed himself working with it, even in a hood, as he let the sash open too far.

Also, as I am learning from the news, many air bags now use other chemicals to inflate, including tetrazole, ammonium nitrate, and others, so be careful mixing with acid until you confirm what the material in the airbag inflator actually is. Over the years I have learned that often things are not what I thought they were in OTC products.

Go To Top