Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Al2S3 and H2S
Scratch-
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 20:29
Al2S3 and H2S

Today I made a mixture of aluminum and sulfur (with an excess of sulfur) and heated it untill ignition. It burned with yellowish flames (probably from the match fuse I tried before giving up and using a sparkler) and lots of SO2. Later I dumped the (small) amount of resulting slag, Al2S3, and unreacted reagents into the garbage. Later I went into the garage (where we keep the trash) and it smelled strongly of H2S (rotten eggs and flatulance). I didn't know that my product would decompose to form H2S at the time, so researched it and found only a few referances explaining this. Apparently my Al2S3 decomposed when exposed to the moisture in the air (it is florida after all) to produce H2S. So I threw the rest of my mixture in the garbage and threw the garbage in my trash bin (outside). I figgure it shouldn't produce H2S fast enough to build up to significant amounts outside.

I'm wondering now if Al2S3 could be made in small amounts for a slow (and slightly safer than sulfur and paraffin) release of H2S, depending on how fast you feed it moisture.

I have read about some of the dangers of H2S and feel I'm not really skilled nor experienced enough to safly handle it, so this will be for future reference. Fortunatly I could smell the H2S the whole time so that probably means I wasn't exposed to much of it (although I held my breath the whole time after getting those first few wiffs). Can somone offer advice for working with/cleaning up H2S? I search the forums alot but I mostly come up with a hint here or a tid bit there (you guys need a better search engine).
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 20:43

Aluminum sulfide and water or expecially acid will indeed produce H2S. As for cleaning up H2S there was a time when I was trying to make CS2 from propane and sulfur, problem being that one product was H2S and when I burned the exit gasses I got lots of SO2 so either way I was poisoning myself, my neighbors, and making a stink in my neighborhood. It was eventually the conclusion that H2S can be absorbed in strong (>5M) NaOH or using something like a copper sulfate solution, whereby the copper sulfide precipitates. As has been said time and time again this is not a safe chemical to work with and its use should be avoided but really it just needs extreme caution and hopefully no access to the enviorment in which you breath.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Scratch-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 08:02

Yes I dont plan on using it any time soon, I'm going to get more experience using my glassware. Also I'm redoing the garage with my dad along with adding more storage space, more working space, and a home-built fume hood :D.

I've heard a few comments in threads about using gas masks. I think it would be a good idea to have one on hand but I dont want to order it online (I'm not doing anything illegal that I know of but I dont want people thinking that I'm making nerve gas or something). It seems like they would be good for this kind of gas contamination (although this time I could work fast enough so I could hold my breath the whole time). Can you only order them online?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 11:28

Yesterday, I've synthesized pure sodium sulfide by saturating NaOH solution with gaseous H2S (from ZnS (white pigment) + boiling HCl) and then mixing the resulting NaSH solution with an equimolar amount of NaOH. The next morning, beautiful large crystals of Na2S*9 H2O had formed.
I worked under my homemade fume hood and had no problems.
H2S is very toxic, yes. But the smell is so strong that you smell it long before it becomes toxic.

A fume hood is a must, though, but a gas mask not.
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 11:45

the smell is strong, yes, but it only lasts for a short amount of time. H2S goes straight to the nerves in your nose and kills them, so you won't smell it after a short amount of time. i had an experience with H2S and it was bloody scary. i suggest you use a gas mask just because you wont have to be paranoid

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 12:21

I thought it only temporarily paralyzed them.
Scratch-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 15:42

I just saw a gas mask at the hardware store (how ironic that I just now found one). There were two gas masks and replacement filters. Each gas mask filtered for a different thing but it looked like the replacement filters for them wouldn't fit eachother. One filtered for acidic gasses, it gave a few examples: chlorine, a few hydrogen-halogens (including hydrogen flouride), chlorine dioxide, and a few more I cant remember (Probably would work for H2S too, along with all hydrogen-halogens and all halogens except flourine). The other said it protected against organic fumes like organic solvents (it was for painting). I haven't gotten either one yet. I guess if I got one the filter for acidic gasses would be more useful for inorganic chemisty, what do you guys think?

I am going to make my fume hood lined with tile for chemical and heat resistance. I am going to have a light and an outlet inside it, both controlled by outside switches. The opening will be a glass sheet that slides upwards. I am going to put a fan inside the hood that pushes the air into a large diameter pipe that leads outside, and a fan on the other side of the pipe pulling air out, both also controlled by a switch on the outside. Anything I should change/add?

[Edited on 4/2/2005 by Scratch-]

Go To Top