Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxyides - black hole
Ashendale
Harmless

Mood: Hydrated

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 07:08
Oxyides - black hole

I know this is really easy question, but can't remember it. : ( (Searched to forums, yet found no topic about it o.O)

I have problem remembering is it possible to get Oxyde -----> Metal/non-metal + Oxygen

4Fe + 3O2 = 2Fe2O3
2Fe2O3 -----> 4Fe + 3O2

React with some acid?

Sorry for being noob : P

[Edited on 5-4-2005 by Ashendale]

Scratch-
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 07:13

Oxyde is spelled oxide, that may be why you dont get any results. You could try electrolysis because electricity is cheap or you could try the common 3% H2O2.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 09:31

Hm, oxides are remarkably hard reactions to reverse... you usually need to combine one or the other to get them apart (reduction: remove oxygen with H or C: Fe2O3 + 3CO > 2Fe + 3CO2 or Fe2O3 + 3H2 > 2Fe + 3H2O, neither leaves O2; or oxidation: Fe2O3 + 6HCl > 2FeCl3 + 3H2O, although I'm told HCl doesn't have the oxidizing power to form that in particular).

Most oxides have high melting points so electrolytic dissociation is a stretch... it can be done in solution though. Aluminum is produced in this manner, though I would be inclined to think the process actually dissociates the sodium fluoride ions, which then reacts with the Al2O3 in solution to leave aluminum and oxygen (which reacts with the graphite electrodes).

Tim
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Scratch-
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 14:57

Oh, I was confused by his post. I thought he was trying to get an oxide from a metal.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 15:25

The first one is simple combustion, the second reminds me of a thermite reaction.
Ashendale
Harmless

Mood: Hydrated

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 05:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Scratch-
Oh, I was confused by his post. I thought he was trying to get an oxide from a metal.

Well my English isn't the best side of mine, so... :(

Go To Top