Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: FREE Online Journals
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 05:45

Volumes 28-42 of Acta Chem Scand average just a little over 200 Mb each, these are the ones divided into 2 files each a and B that evarge c.100 Mb each.

I am presently on volume 36 of total 53.

The bad news is that while the TOCs work, sort of, they as of volume 28 do not work as expected or as volumes 1-28 do.

I am trying to figure out how to correct thia.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 23:48

Volumes 28 and later of Acta Chem Scand can after all be downloaded and compiled as single pdf files using Adobe Acrobat Pro's Create PDF from Web Page function, and the links in TOC will call the pdfs locally, while djvu documents will be downloaded from an active Internet connection if any.

Set the switches in dialog box to two laters down and do NOT check Stay on same server, and Stay on same Path.

Volumes 1-27 are unaffected by those last two switches.

I downloaded HTTrack but for me, Adobe Acrobat Pro looks like it does the job exactly the way I want. HTTrack looks like it would be faster but has a steep learning curve.

In Adobe is you leave the default 1 level down alone you will get only the TOC and all pdf's as well as djvu files will be called from Internet. While this does work, if the server is ever taken down or the archives removed or pw-protected there will be no access. Having them locally is better.

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2008 at 23:17

I had a look at akinmad/akinrog's Canadian J.Chem. folder on MadHatter in UPLOADS.

Am I wrong, or is this just a jumble of pdf's of single papers from 1951-2008, and with useless, meaningless titles RPViewDoc.......pdf No volume, no page number, no year, no seperate folders for year/volume, much less issue, and in no order!

In short unless one is willing to go through thousands of pdf's manually and figure out the bibliographic information, THIS IS USELESS AND A WASTE OF TIME, STORAGE AND ATTENTION.

I have tried getting into the cnrc site with Adobe Acrobat Pro and is IS possible to create a pdf with TOC but only for one issue at a time. I have a sample pdf for Vol 29 issue 1 January 1951. However this is not a practical approach for almost 60 years of a journal.

Is anyone planning to snag this journal and do it right?

Or is there some trick to getting what akinrog has done into useful and usable form?

I tried posting Volume 29 Issue 1 that I assembled from the CNRC site, but it is too large for the forum hosting. The canucks do not crop their scans so there is a lot of wasted white space, and I do not feel like cropping all those pages just to make a point.

Here is the complete TOC with working links for Volume 29 numbers 1-12. Once I have the huge pile of pdf's that akinmad dumped, I will try to append the links in this to call them from the local path rather than the Net. Acrobat Pro has such a global append link function though I have never used it before. We will see.

If this works then it is a "relatively" trivial task of a few days grunt work to compile TOCs volume by volume, issue by issue. 46 volumes x 12 issues each...boring but it will work.

30 min later: OK I now know how to automate the toc process, so it will be 1/12th the effort. The main hassle is that before Acrobat Pro sucks in the issue by issue toc's it takes in 284 pages of garbage pages just dripping with maple leaves forever. Bureaucracy! Well, 284 pages delete as easily as 1.

The resulting volume toc is in reverse order, Number 12 to Number 1 but that is not a nuisance. You access them via index not serially.

[Edited on 18-11-2008 by Sauron]

Attachment: tocv29_1951.pdf (320kB)
This file has been downloaded 1260 times

kmno4
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-11-2008 at 16:03

Quote:
Originally posted by kmno4

Now IUPAC journal is fully accessible from 1-st volume (1960) up to 2006 year.
http://old.iupac.org/publications/pac/index/
Have a nice downloading.....:P
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 10:58

I have abandoned efforts to download the archive of these accursed Can J Chem articles from MadHatter.

It now appears that the only way to get these volumes in an organized form is to snag them one issue at a time, 12 issues per volume, with Acrobat Pro which is reasonably fast and easy with the right settings (arrived at by trial and error). The resulting pdf's contain a lot of superfluous Canadian govt garbage which I just delete; when that is done there are only the TOC with links to the pdf's internal to the document and accessible at a mouse click.

I reckon I can get through 1-2 volumes in a 12 hr day without strain so in about 3 weeks I ought to be done.

There are NOT 28,000 chemical papers involved. Maybe 1/10th of that. The rest is Canadian bureaucratic bilge. I have a feeling that by the time I am done with this I will truly hate the maple leaf.

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 13:37

there are 14927 articles for real in teh canadian collection
47 volumes, 29-75
I have them all biut have not generated nice TOC/index pages yet
how patient are u? :P
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 16:55

@alter

Now that we know you are working on this journal, everybody will be very patient. We know your precise (and concise) posts give ACTUAL results without wasting acres of forum space in empty talk. :)

gsd

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 19:22
Russian Journal of Organic Chemistry Volumes 37-44

Russian Journal of Organic Chemistry Vol 37-44 now in UPLOAD on Madhatter

these are the english transalated articles by Springer
they were recently announced as free for a limited time
I got them, now free for unlimited time :-)

index pages look like ACS archives because I used same script to mkae them :-)
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 20:00

@gsd

The one who is wasting the forum's time is akinmad. I am not the only one who has called attention to the fact that his so called contribution to MadHatter is worse than useless. Such warning may prevent the unwary from going through the same frustrations I have experienced.

I completed my Acta Chem Scand archive, now on 3 DVDs (yes I know you disapprove, but I could care less.) There is no need for me to upload them because kmno4 did a better job.

I now have the first volume of Can J Chem (29, 1951) done in 12 pdf's with TOCs (the originals) and all the Canadian crap removed. It will take some time to get all the volumes. Weeks, anyway. I will upload them to the UPLOADS/Sauron folder as they are finished.

Alter, if you got those files from akinmad/akinrog, they are jumbled with articles from Canadian journals other than CJC. I ran across several in his "archive" from other CNRC journals.

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 21:13

I downloaded canadian journals myself

others try to use simple tools and get too many files or not all of them, I have seen this before

for my real results: beautifulsoup + md5 + urllib + tor + silx + multivalent + programming

others use toys like httrack, downthemall, webcopier. ok for some things but I never see good journal archive from them.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2008 at 21:36

Well, alter, good for you! Personally I do not care for HTTrack, nor ReGet. You are using a workstation and most of your software is unfamiliar to me. Be that as it may.

But I find that with a little experimentation, Acrobat Pro works on this journal, issue by issue only, and after a wee bit of editing out the government garbage, a good working pdf with TOC same as the website for the issue, and nothing else but the pdf's scans, results. It does not take a great deal of time to process 12 issues, and there are only 47 volumes available this way. Today I will put samples up on my 4shared account and post link here. In a few days I will start uploading volume by volume to MadHatter.

There are no extraneous files and no missing files. What is in the original TOCs is all present.

This is not a competition. I was already into this before you posted that you were working on it. I queried kmno4 about whether or not he intended to do this and he did not deign to reply so I went ahead. Life's a bitch.

Anyone can do the same. CJC is open access, and some would dispute the wisdom of bothering to compile this archive in that light. Not I. What the government gives the government can damn well take away.

So best of luck to you, and thanks for all your excellent work.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/2245331/5a78115f/sharing.html

Folder name Can J Chem V29

The complete volume 29 (12 issues) is now up at the 4shared acct above.

I expect to complete Vol 30 (1952) tonight, and Vols 3 and 4 tomorrow.

@gsd, what is your problem? You have been sniping at me for a couple of months. Get laid or something, take a pill, whatever. But climb off my back or I will dislodge you myself.

[Edited on 19-11-2008 by Sauron]

gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 06:41

@sauron

What is your problem? Am I not allowed to praise a silent but very efficient and hardworking member in this forum? What kind of moral censorship is this?

BTW Please go through the post very carefully. Did I mention any one by name except alter? No other member (out of total 7230) has taken an offense. Why are you feeling guilty? (unless of course you know you are :))

gsd
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 08:22

Hey, godamnit.. This is not an isolated instance. You have been harping and chiding and carping at me for some time over invariablty petty crap, as far as I can tell it started when we disafreed over using DVDs to store journal archives. Well, get over it! As for me I am guiltless. Or as guiltless as anyone anywhere these days. So climb ogg yuout high yak. You want to see ACTUAL RESULTS then go look in 4shared or MadHatter.

I have no quarrel with alter, it's just you being a persistantly annoying prick.

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 08:29

CANADIAN JOURNAL OF CHEMISTRY 1951-1997

Volume 29 and Vol 30 now uploaded to 4shared.com at my account, url below.

Also to MadHatter FTP in UPLOAD/Sauron/.

Doing vols 31 and 32 now, and conue two volumes a day or more till all 47 are uploaded.

Comments and constructive criticism solicited.

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by Sauron]

gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 09:15

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Hey, godamnit.. This is not an isolated instance. You have been harping and chiding and carping at me for some time over invariablty petty crap, as far as I can tell it started when we disafreed over using DVDs to store journal archives.

Why would I be bothered whether you store files on DVDs or floppies or on anything else? You don't seem to remember issues on which YOU pick up fights with other members (BTW ever pondered why is it always YOU against somebody else?). All I can conclude you don't remember what ( and probably why) you posted few days/ posts ago.

Well good luck and happy posting! (concerns and sensibilities of other members be damned :))

gsd
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 09:22

Bullshit. Just stay out of my way, and I will ignore you. You are after all eminently ignorable.

gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2008 at 05:50

Quote:
Originally posted by alter
Russian Journal of Organic Chemistry Vol 37-44 now in UPLOAD on Madhatter

these are the english transalated articles by Springer
they were recently announced as free for a limited time
I got them, now free for unlimited time :-)

11 days ago I stumbled on this info on the net and announced it here. Within a week Alter made it into Christmas present for all :)

Well done Sir! great post.

gsd
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2008 at 06:04

Journal of the Iranian Chemical Society

Available since it's inception (Vol 1_2004)

http://www.ics-ir.org/jics/archive/index.html

gsd
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2008 at 22:17

Quote:
Originally posted by alter
there are 14927 articles for real in teh canadian collection
47 volumes, 29-75

Volumes 29 - 75 give 19850 PDFs.
I bet that something is wrong with alter's collection.

[Edited on 22-11-2008 by kmno4]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 00:39

It is possible in Acrobat to set the Create PDF From Web Page to take in only PDFs, and even then only Adobe-format PDFs. In this case all the "trash" html will be ignored but unfortunately also the TOC which is HTML.

Sy setting the depth to 1 level one can get just the TOC and could therefore have two PDFs to splice back together, one the TOC and one the article PDFs. Or you can grab the HTML using Save As, or the Print to PDF function (both in Windows not Adobe.) What I do not know how to do is to automatically restore the links. Having to do that manually would be a non-starter. Maybe some sort of global search and replace function. Also there's an Append All Links function in Acrobat that might do this. I dunno.

Having to download all the trash and then cull it out is a pain. Not a huge pain, as one is just a time issue, and the other is at least predictable, the trash is in three discrete clumps. Locations always same, roughly.

---------------

I'm glad I do not have a dog in the "fight" over how many PDFs there are in CJC, anyway it is not as fight as it is between friends. Personally I do not care, all I care about is whether the files match the TOCs and whether the right file comes up when I click through a link...

[Edited on 22-11-2008 by Sauron]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 00:38

Volumes 29-37 now uploaded at 4shared.com, see url below. Vol

Volumes 38 and 39 will be uploaded today. (Sunday 23rd)

Also up at MadHatter in UPLOAD/Sauron

4shared link:

I will update here as much as possible given the time restrictions on editing posts.

I need this afternoon and evening off away from the PC, a couple of old friends from the US are visiting Bangkok, one is a suppressor designer of some note and the other is publishers of SMALL ARMS REVIEW and they want to talk about the Good Old Days when I was enfant terrible of the arms business.

[Edited on 24-11-2008 by Sauron]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2008 at 17:42

Volumes 29-39 are up.

I am making a new folder on 4shared for Volumes 40-49 and will upload 40 and 41 next.

Thr volumes are getting larger, and only way to compress them further is IMO too lossy. Accordingly I am splitting volumes into A and B to meet 4shared file maxima.

[Edited on 26-11-2008 by Sauron]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2008 at 12:41

Volumes 29-41 are up.

I made a new folder on 4shared for Volumes 40-49

The volumes are now running 125 Mb or about 10 Mb per issue so one volume per day is about all I can download, edit and upload. The remaining volumes will take 4-5 more weeks. More is they get much larger.

[Edited on 27-11-2008 by Sauron]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2008 at 07:49

Volumes 29-43 are up.

44 and 45 are in process.

The volumes are now running 125 Mb or about 10 Mb per issue so one volume per day is about all I can download, edit and upload. The remaining volumes will take 4-5 more weeks. More is they get much larger.

[Edited on 29-11-2008 by Sauron]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2008 at 23:54

Volumes 29-44 are up.

45 and 46 are in process.

I just determined that as of Vol 44 CJC switched to 24 issues a year so I will have to add these 12 issues to the rar files asap before continuing to work on Vol 45.

[Edited on 30-11-2008 by Sauron]

Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top