akinmad
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 12:53

Quote:
Originally posted by kmno4
Canadian Journal of Chemistry
Volumes from 1951 to 1997 are freely available at:
http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/rp-ps/volumes.jsp?jcode=cjc&lang=...

Gees Somebody who is not me has been leaching this link for pdf files for some time and SWIM downloaded more than 16 GB (PDF).

My question is: Is this normal? Or my leaching app gets something other than above?
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 13:18

I know a perfect place for such questions - DETRITUS.

[Edited on 11-5-2008 by kmno4]

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 16:45

Quote:
Originally posted by akinmad
Quote:
Canadian Journal of Chemistry
Volumes from 1951 to 1997 are freely available at:
http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/rp-ps/volumes.jsp?jcode=cjc&lang=...

Gees Somebody who is not me has been leaching this link for pdf files for some time and SWIM downloaded more than 16 GB (PDF).

My question is: Is this normal? Or my leaching app gets something other than above?

how you not know what your own computer is downloading??? no organization?
total size for these should be about 5.3 GB
total files almost 15000

how can use these if you havent organized them? theres no ocr text.
akinmad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2008 at 11:20

Quote:
Originally posted by alter
no organization?

I don't know. Since the files are contained in the same folder over the server all of them are stored in the same folder on the computer too.
Quote:

total size for these should be about 5.3 GB
total files almost 15000

Then there is a problem, since number of PDFs are about 45000 and size is 16.7 GB. I think I shall figure out what is what after if the damn thing stops. :mad:
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 13-5-2008 at 20:12

You're probably downloading the abstracts along with other *.PDFs that might be several links deep. That's an annoying problem with site downloaders. You should adjust your settings to match the site you are currently downloading from.

Which program are you using?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
akinmad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2008 at 08:37

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Which program are you using?

The classical, HTTrack. I had to stop it. The thing has shown little activity for a few days, although now and then something is downloaded.

It seems to have jumped to other (university) sites too. Now I cancelled it, cleaned the garbage, rar'ed and now uploading to FTP. :D

I hope I did a good job. Regards.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 21:47

Please provide the location of the file and which FTP as there appear to be thousands of folders/directories on the MadHatter FTP which makes it difficult to find anything specific without searching for hours.

I wish there was some sort of standard organization on that FTP that prevented duplicates and "orphan" files from being ALL OVER THE PLACE. I swear, probably 1/5 of my files from that FTP are the same file just in different folders and/or compressed files.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that the FTP exists, but it could be much more organized. Perhaps someone with full permissions could do some "rearranging". I would be happy to do it as I am basically having to do the same thing on my own computer. Also, another thing is standard file names. I probably have 10 different copies of Vogel and/or Brauer and hundreds of the same article because of filenames like "2383274902.pdf", "VIIEd.3&fh.rar", "VIIEd.3*fh.djvu", "JACS83838383839292910293019.rar" etc...

I propose that we do something about it.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2008 at 03:19

Download the file "FILELIST.TXT" ( this file is in the root directory) from the madatter FTP.
It is current upto 23/03/2008.

It has complete listing of directories / subdirectories / files. (But no description. Only file names.)

It gives fairly good idea of ftp content.

gsd
akinmad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2008 at 16:00

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Please provide the location of the file and which FTP as there appear to be thousands of folders/directories on the MadHatter

They are on MatHatter's FTP under UPLOAD\AkinRog\

However, I cannot reach to MatHatter so he can test / verify the integrity of files (169 split archive rars). He is working two jobs a day, I believe he cannot get my PM.

If he cannot do this, I shall be glad if somebody (with FTP account and fast connection of course) download and check their integrity.
akinmad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 17:05

An update on issue.

MatHatter checked the split rar archive and found it corrupt, so I'm uploading the files manually one by one again.

Regards
akinmad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 06:22

Another update.
Since the size and number of files are absurdly large, I had to clean the duplicate ones.

After that the number of files is about 24.000 and size is about 9 GB.

However, I could not upload them to the same folder, since server refuses to put them in the same folder if number of files is above a certain number.

They are in the FTP under UPLOAD\AkinRog\Canadian Chemical Society 1\ and UPLOAD\AkinRog\Canadian Chemical Society 2\ folders.

Sorry for the delay. Regards.
Ivan110
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-6-2008 at 11:11

Canadian Journal of Chemistry 1951-2008:
Total - 22870 files, 7.98 Gb (after OCR)

Use ReGet Deluxe for robots downloading...
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 12:56

Acta Chemica Scandinavica 1947 - 1999
Freely available:
http://actachemscand.dk/

:)
akinmad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 05:39

Quote:

It's coming to nearest FTP (i.e. Mathatter's) soon, properly leeched and organized into years. :) Regards.
akinmad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 12:14

Quote:

It's in MadHatter's FTP under Uploads/AkinRogue folder. Enjoy.
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 12:57

Quote:
Originally posted by akinmad
Quote:

It's in MadHatter's FTP under Uploads/AkinRogue folder. Enjoy.

Downloading it from this FTP is only 30KB/s, from original site is much quicker and uploaded PDFs are not compressed. 1-st PDF has 526KB, the same one but compressed has only 110 KB, 2-nd has 1,97 MB, compressed one 375 KB.... etc.
In my opinion (sorry), it is loosing the time and disc space to download this journal from MadHatter's FTP.
akinmad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2008 at 05:56

Quote:
In my opinion (sorry), it is loosing the time and disc space to download this journal from MadHatter's FTP.

Thank you for the constructive (sic) criticism (as always). It's your choice. Regards.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 31-10-2008 at 20:43

Disk space is cheap. Anyway I put such archives on DVDs that are even cheaper and less perishable than HDDs.

A waste of time? How exactly is time a factor in a multitasking environment?

Who is to guarantee that this journal will always be open access as it is now?

No one.

I'd rather have it on my desktop. Or on a DVD second away from my desktop.

It would have been better had these files been compressed, but it's a bit much to ask our benefactor to redo them now.

I just downloaded volume 1 from FTP as a test. Painless. Now I will go see if I can use my usual tool (Acrobat Pro's pdf from website) to snag volume 2. I don't have HTTrack.

Acrobat is chewing on volume 2, presently at 30-something Mb and p 450 or so out of 950 something. I set the applet to 2 levels down, Stay on same path and Stay on same server. Hopefully it won't try to download the djvu files. So far only pdf.

Obviously using Acrobat to get the TOC as a pdf is a good idea even if you take the actual files from FTP.

I do not see any big difference in download time. Both sets of files are uncompressed.

Acrobat Pro worked fine with the settings mentioned, ignored the djvus, and compiled Volume 2 as a single large pdf, with working links from the TOC to the PDF papers.

So I recommend this method.

[Edited on 1-11-2008 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 17:44

Downloading from FTP: ~50 KB/s
Downloading from original site: ~115 KB/s (120 is max. for my internet connection).
For me time is the most important factor, besides I prefer to have as many files as possible on given 'space' (HDD or DVD). Especially in the case of DVD: better 2 discs than 6 discs per journal.
Volume 12 has 200 MB, compressed: 37 MB. So you have to download (and upload) 160 MB of "nothing".

You are right: no one can guarantee that it is free for ever, but up to now it is. Synthesis and Synlett used to be available for free too :(.

[Edited on 2-11-2008 by kmno4]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 22:42

MadHatter's server is on the other side of the Atlantic from you, the Acta server is not. Both are on the other side of the planet from me, and I am really not seeing all that much difference in transfer rate.

However I am downloading from the Acta site volume by volume using Acrobat Pro. It takes 2 hours per volume, about, with the volumes running 75-140 Mb. But I get them as a single pdf with working links from TOC and I like that. Akinrog's have no toc, you can add the toc off the net but no links.

I do not see the relevance of "compressed" as neither the folders on FTP nor the volumes from the Acta site are compressed. Where are they available compressed? If what you are saying is that akinrog ought to have post processed them, you are right.

Acrobat does this for me in the background, and requires no attention from me until a volume is complete and I have a few mouse clicks to start another one. Once every couple hours. Meanwhile I can proceed with whatever else I want to do on the PC or on the net, like writing this post. That's task switching, or multitasking if you don't want to be too finicky about the term. I could and in fact did download volume 1 from FTP while downloading volume 2 from Acta site.

I think this will fit on 2 DVDs. I jave JOC on 2 and I&EC on 2 and this isn't any larger than those, I reckon. But if it takes 3, so what?

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 07:30

I am at halfway point in terms of volumes of Acta Chemica Scandinavica downloaded (26 of 53) but this does not tell the full story. The volumes have grown to 400 Mb each so I am lucky to get 2-3 of them a day now. If this trend continues the volumes will be 500 Mb. So perhaps kmno4 was right.

However, in for a penny, in for a pound. Might as well soldier on.

Starting with Volume 28, the volumes are divided into two parts A and B and the page count for both is back to about 3000 which ought to be "only" 300 Mb, which is better than 400 and way better than 500!. I'll report on how long this lasts.

[Edited on 8-11-2008 by Sauron]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 04:45

Further to Acta Chem.Scand.

The A and B volumes go from volume 28 to volume 42 (1974-1988) then revert to unitary volumes again. I have not surveyed the total Mb count of these volumes, but will find out the hard way.

[Edited on 8-11-2008 by Sauron]

tapira1
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 09:49
European Pharmacopoeia 5th Ed

http://lib.njutcm.edu.cn/yaodian/ep/EP5.0/index.html

Now out of date, but still useful. Currently effective is EP6
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 9-11-2008 at 06:44

A very useful site for those areas outside of chemistry...."Open access to 506,563 e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative Biology and Statistics"

http://arxiv.org/

Here is a site with much coverage all free ....with the belief that information should be free..............solo

http://www.bentham.org/open/index.htm

[Edited on 9-11-2008 by solo]

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2008 at 08:25

Russian Journal of Organic Chemistry

8 volumes of this journal (from vol 37(2001) to 44(2008)) are freely accessible on springer TILL NOVEMBER 23.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/1070-4280?sortorder=asc

My internet connection is not suitable for site leaching. Can some enterprising member with right connection, inclination (and of course having loads of spare time) do the job?

Good luck :)

gsd
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top