Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: mercury sources ??
prole
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 11:11

Gringolandia is Spanish slang for the United States of America and all of its inhabitants, which is also the end of the rainbow.

As for fear, if one shows no fear, chances are (in my experience) LE will show no interest in you. If you run, they will chase you. If you hide, they will find you. Give them no reason, they'll ignore you.

I do agree however, that alternative sources should always be sought out regardless of legality, and that scavenging is a thrill unto itself.

This probably now belongs in whimsy, sorry.

[Edited on 11/7/2005 by prole]

tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 10:58

as of january 1, 2006, mercury in Washington state will be banned.
all forms of mercury avalible in otc chemicals will be removed
exept for the mercury in batterys and the mercury in certain chemicals in whitch the removal of that ion is deemed expensive enough to defer kewls from obtaining that material
thermometers included.

This is in the name of avoiding mercury poisoning, I think that the #of deaths due to household mercury is less than 0 in the past 10 years, however, they included industrial accidents when they convinced the government to ban mercury.

I expect other states to follow in the same
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 15:27

Land of the free my ass....:mad::(

So they plan on removing thermostats from the market as well?

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 15:43

Ours are digital. Who needs mercury.

:(:(:(

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 17:40
Avoiding Mercury

Well I have not touched the stuff since 1992 and from further research I would be hard pressed to use it again. The only legitimate use I would want to use it for is as a cathode in electrolytic reductions. Lead would suffice in most cases and I am sure there are Indium alloys that would have compariable hydrogen overvoltages. Maybe a higher current density is needed but I am not wanting to be around mercury fumes. Handling lead compunds is my level of danger for me. Might even consider selling my Cadmium metal. It is fun to make hoemmade Lead nitrate though.:D

Fellow molecular manipulator
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 06:39

Everyone thinks america is land of the free... its not. Before it gets banned in the state you live in, buy a whole bunch of it and put it in a nice sealed jar. It will keep for a long long time. My friend found a jar of mercury that was about 30 years old (His dad used to have his own lab) and all we did was clean the oxide off and it was back to its shiny self. There was about 3oz in there but I want more. Its fun to play with as long as the neccesary safety precautions are taken.

It\'s better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 08:33

What does "Banned" actually mean? Does it just mean that it's not OTC any more?
Or does it mean that possession is illegal?
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 16:06

I think banned means "banned for consumer sale without legitimate use" meaning that you have to have a business or research-related explanation for its use. The removal of mercury from the consumer market will have detrimental effects; sure it has replacements for almost any use (except barometers, manometers, and other tools where it must be used owing to its 13.6 g/cc density) but truth be told, few of them are better than mercury or cheaper.
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 19:39

Yeah, you'll probably have to sign your privacy away to the dea if you order any mercury when it gets banned. Just make up some bullcrap like you a building a manometer for yourself or something. Those use a ton of mercury.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 03:26

WA law excerpt:

A school may not purchase for use in a primary or secondary classroom bulk elemental mercury or chemical mercury compounds. By January 1, 2006, all primary and secondary schools in the state must remove and properly dispose of all bulk elemental mercury, chemical mercury, and bulk mercury compounds used as teaching aids in science classrooms, not including barometers.

Effective January 1, 2006, no person may sell, offer for sale, or distribute for sale or use in this state a mercury-added novelty. A manufacturer of mercury-added novelties must notify all retailers that sell the product about the provisions of this section and how to properly dispose of any remaining mercury-added novelty inventory.

Effective January 1, 2006, no person may sell, offer for sale, or distribute for sale or use in this state a manometer used to measure blood pressure or a thermometer that contains mercury. This subsection (2)(a) does not apply to: (i) An electronic thermometer with a button cell battery containing mercury; (ii) A thermometer that contains mercury and that is used for food research and development or food processing, including meat, dairy products, and pet food processing; (iii) A thermometer that contains mercury and that is a component of an animal agriculture climate control system or industrial measurement system or for veterinary medicine until such a time as the system is replaced or a nonmercury component for the system or application is available; (iv) A thermometer or manometer that contains mercury that is used for calibration of other thermometers, manometers, apparatus, or equipment, unless a nonmercury calibration standard is approved for the application by the national institute of standards and technology; (v) A thermometer that is provided by prescription. A manufacturer of a mercury thermometer shall supply clear instructions on the careful handling of the thermometer to avoid breakage and proper cleanup should a breakage occur; or (vi) A manometer or thermometer sold or distributed to a hospital, or a health care facility controlled by a hospital, if the hospital has adopted a plan for mercury reduction consistent with the goals of the mercury chemical action plan developed by the department under section 302, chapter 371, Laws of 2002. A manufacturer of thermometers that contain mercury must notify all retailers that sell the product about the provisions of this section and how to properly dispose of any remaining thermometer inventory.

Effective January 1, 2006, no person may sell, install, or reinstall a commercial or residential thermostat that contains mercury unless the manufacturer of the thermostat conducts or participates in a thermostat recovery or recycling program designed to assist contractors in the proper disposal of thermostats that contain mercury in accordance with 42 U.S.C. Sec. 6901, et seq., the federal resource conservation and recovery act.

No person may sell, offer for sale, or distribute for sale oruse in this state a motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 2006, if the motor vehicle contains an automotive mercury switch.
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 07:05

Wow... That really sucks for washington. Everyone in washington, buy as much mercury as you can right now and hide it until you need it haha.

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 17:18

It talks about selling in state, but not buying from out-of-state.

I don't think this will make it impossible to obtain mercury, it will just make it somewhat harder.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 20:57

Well, as recently as 2003 or 2004 you would occasionally find 5KG jugs of the stuff for about $200 on ebay. LAter is was small amounts. Now there is nothing! I have not seen mercury for quite a while on ebay.

Fellow molecular manipulator
Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 09:56

Good thing to mention chloric, I've noticed that as well along with other things that have all of a sudden gone missing like >1 oz sales of any alkali metal, dangerous chemical compounds, and the removal of a lot glassware.

From what I was told by one ebay seller who was trying to unload the rest of his sodium (several kilograms of it!) is that ebay is making a conscious effort to prevent the sale of dangerous goods. If I can dig up his email...I might just post it.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 18:19

If you don't post it please U2U (or email it as you have my email address) it to me as I have not had a seller of Na to deal with since ebay squashed heruur, just about my all time favorite seller of mad science. It has been very depressing on ebay since they kicked him out. As to mercury or lithium I do know of a source but I will not post it just to keep the wrong person from informing ebay. You never know who is reading this! U2U works if you need it.

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by IrC]
Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 18:24

I'll get that to you post haste now that I see you have a genuine interest.

He sold good quality material too, free of oxidation. I believe he had potassium as well, and he had it all in bulk.

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by Fleaker]
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 18:29

He told me he wasn't selling it. I guess he ran out.
Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 19:59

Must have...I'm sure you noticed the use of the past tense, and on the email I sent you, I'm sure you observed the date, it was months ago I talked with him.
hell.fire
Harmless

Mood: hyperactive :-P

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 18:07

Mercury is used by people that make neon lights and signs. :-)

I am the god of fire and I bring you fire.
lacrima97
Hazard to Self

Mood: experimental

[*] posted on 14-12-2005 at 13:40

Do most plumb bobs contain mercury? I see many plumb bobs on ebay, but they do not specify if they are mercury filled or not.
Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2005 at 15:32

Some of them do indeed contain mercury as BromicAcid mentioned earlier in this thread. I imagine they contain anywhere from 50-200grams of it (depending on the size of the plumb) The real old ones were solid lead (hence the name plumb=plumbum=lead)

[Edited on 14-12-2005 by Fleaker]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 14-12-2005 at 18:47

I've bought a few of them and I guess I should buy many more as mercury is increasingly going out of style, I really have no use for it, but what can I say, I love the stuff. All the plumb bobs that I have purchased have all specifically stated liquid filled or mercury filled somewhere in the description.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Duster
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-12-2005 at 08:28

This all got me thinking and I decided to browse ebay for "mercury"... I dont recommend it, apparently Mercury was a popular car :)

However, I did make some intresting finds!

Mercury tilt switches. I use to have a couple of these when I was a kid (yes a kid), and they were pretty fun to play with. Never did use them as a switch though. One seller has about 80 for $3.50 a pop, with $5 shipping plus $1 for every other item. That sounds awfully expensive. The seller claimed ".6 thousandths of an ounce". Now, obviously he's a bit off, but its either .6 ounces or .06 with the way he was talking. I doubt these hold more than half an ounce of mercury, and going with .06 thats about 2ml... Bit expensive eh?

The other source I have found so far are mercury relays. I found one so far with a big ampule of this liquid metal on top. I enquired for a picture showing the scale, prefferably with a ruler. Its $20 buy it now plus actual shipping... Does anyone have any information on mercury filled relays?

By the way, here's the link to the tilt switches:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=75591...

Duster
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 15-12-2005 at 08:44

Jeeze, they've gone up in price, I remember when they were 10 for $5 on eBay, and you could get a modest quantity of mercury out of them, how things have changed in the last three years. Yup, the one's that are for sale for $3.25 a piece are the ones that were cheap not too long ago :(

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
MephistosMinion
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-12-2005 at 05:17

I buy them from the local electronics store for $2 a pop. From memory I got about 9g from 10 of them.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top