Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Donations
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 16-4-2005 at 23:47
Donations

Go here to make a donation. I had to put the form in a separate page because the latest XMB screws it up when shown inline.

Click the image to donate via PayPal. Send me a U2U message if you wish to donate some other way.

I might as well update this first post with the times to inform that donations are going to go toward virtual private server hosting for SM. The current host has just not been very reliable, so it's time to find a new home.

[Edited on 6-2-2009 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 08:28

I'd donate now, however my current financial situation isn't stable. Expect donations in the future ;).

I must say, that animation of yours is funny :D.
"King among men...." :P
I'm sure any excess funds wouldn't end up being invested in vulture ;).

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 08:49

So, Polverone, do you have a mustache or not? :D

Here's the computer illiterate asking, how is HTTPS and the other things you mention better/beneficial? I know I could look it up, but other people might be interested too.

Quote:
If funding in excess of that is received, we'll see what to do...

Don't you have to pay for your multimillion dollar playboy yacht at some point? :D

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 08:52

Like many people here I don't have much money to spare, but that doesn't mean you're getting nothing (Donation on it's way).

However I do have a lot of chemistry books and such, maybe a chairty auction on eBay for sciencemadness? Might be fun :D

Maybe "Donate $50 and get a SMDB T-Shirt!" Now that would get the donations coming :)

[Edited on 4/17/2005 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

cool.gif posted on 17-4-2005 at 09:21

But then there is the problem of a run of shirts, and mailing costs... why not just set up a secret society type thing - so we can print sciencemadness on our t-shirts and pay a fee to the pope. Er! i mean, um Polverone! hehe :D
Seriously though, i would definitely buy a shirt or two. merchanise is an interesting option.

What happens if I don't have a credit or cheque account, can I just mail a card with aussie bills in it? don't spend it on akubra hats and toohey's new export!

Caveat Orator
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 10:04

I will cheerfully make a donation. But I make it conditionally on sending vulture to a spa for a well-deserved preening and beak waxing. :D

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 10:20

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/

Just one example of a place where one can upload their on pictures and design their own T-shirts and market them through the site. There is no overhead, if a shirt is sold the site produces a shirt for a set cost and ships it off with the markup going to the seller. Might be a good plan in that there is little risk and decent possibility of gain.

I wonder if they have sneakers, I'd be neat to have a sciencemadness hat, shirt, pants, shoes etc. All on at the same time :D

Polverone

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 12:05
HTTPS explanation

HTTPS is secure (encrypted) HTTP, hypertext transfer protocol. If we buy a dedicated IP address, I can provide secure access to the board. This is good if you ever start to fear that the government is reading your thoughts and your electronic communications with sciencemadness, because you can move over to the encrypted connection and be reasonably assured that at least one of your problems has been eliminated.

Many people have previously offered to chip in a little money for the site. I wanted to be sure that sciencemadness was moved over to its new host with the domain name restored before I accepted anything, to prove that the site was still in at-least-minimally competent hands.

It would take about US $160 to pay for the year of hosting and domain renewal that I have recently purchased. Getting a dedicated IP address to offer HTTPS would cost another $20. In the event that money beyond that comes in, it could be held in reserve to (for example) buy a higher-bandwidth hosting plan in case the Library or something else begins taxing our resources again. It could be saved to pay for next year's hosting bills. I'm open to other suggestions about good uses for excess funding, should excess funding actually materialize.

Yes, I think I can accept mailed cash, but it might be a good idea to stick the bills inside a slim book or something, so it's not discovered and stolen by someone unscrupulous along the way. Contact me for the mailing address.

hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 13:36

I just made a donation.
Polverone

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 17:04
Wonderful!

Thanks, Hodges! Also, thank you to the others who have donated! I just checked my PayPal account for the first time since putting up the link yesterday, and there's already 4 donations totaling $145.09. At this rate we will soon be able to afford a dedicated IP address and <strike>that robe for Vulture</strike> other goodies.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 17:20

..... If we get funds significantly in excess of the target amounts perhaps we could purchase one membership to a chemistry database. I have access to the ACS database and can search all the archives at the drop of a hat, very convenient. So maybe there is some other database like searching the CAS that we could purchase one membership for and give one member the task of looking up requests on a day to day or week to week basis along with references. Just a thought.

My chemistry club at school is funded mostly through selling goggles, maybe sciencemadness should have a goggle store ;)

[Edited on 4/18/2005 by BromicAcid]

ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 19:35

Ok there you go.. you should have enough for the robe.
Polverone

[*] posted on 17-4-2005 at 21:00

Thank you, ordenblitz! Thank you, BromicAcid! I need to get my PayPal account verified (I didn't realize at first that I would need to do that just to accept donations), and if all goes well we should have HTTPS within a week.

Buying database access sounds nifty, but that sort of thing is usually quite expensive, and we probably already have users of most major databases here already. I can access ACS journals, CAS, and many Elsevier and Wiley Interscience journals. What I really miss are the Royal Society of Chemistry journal archives. I have partial access on microfilm, but not electronic access. We seem to be doing okay with people posting their journal requests here already.

In the near future I plan on migrating the Library back to sciencemadness's own server, to take the load off of BromicAcid's webspace. The selection should be slightly expanded and all the old books have been touched up so that electronic pages match book pages and the initial appearance is more pleasing.

I welcome further suggestions on how donations can be used to help the site. If nothing else, they will assure hosting into the future.

cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 06:11

Maybe rather than sell merchandise like shirts... sell sciencemadness lab equipment. Of course you could still get SM clothing, and lab coats :D.

I know I wouldn't mind paying inflated prices for laboratory equipment and glassware if it was going to such a cause.
Ashendale
Harmless

Mood: Hydrated

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 08:33

Yeah.

Or beginners set.
Like many people don't know what to buy first, so you could be able to buy different sets, depends how much money you got.

Let's say "Labware I - 75$-100$"
That includes most common labware

"Labware II - 100$-125$"

That would include more labware

etc.

They wouldn't be the little child kits (only some chemicals/limited amount and variety of labware), but proffessional. Also maybe some little book made by scmd members of which experiements to test for fun. (If you can't figure out yourself). They should be in urr...don't know how to say it. Well like Sodium hydroxide should be NaOH, not...sodium hydroxide :P

For many non-english speaking people it's very confusing. For me myself, when browsing this forum, is sometimes very hard trying to figure out, what chemical are they talking about :P

Don't know, how good/bad idea it is..

Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 09:33

We should have black SMDB coat, as a sign of distinction. The Black Labcoat Society :P

Btw, happy that you finally accepted donation for this wonderfull site.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 11:52

I'll do a little fundraising rally around my persona (which some people here seem to adore beyond reason, save your money for a shrink!): For $500 + travelling expenses the vulture himself will come and take away all your excess carcasses.

Note: Carcasses is open to interpretation.

Also Note: Acting like Sam or trying to set me up is really not a good idea. Vultures first circle, you know?

[Edited on 18-4-2005 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 11:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind Angel
We should have black SMDB coat, as a sign of distinction. The Black Labcoat Society :P

I for sure would buy one of those!:D

Theory guides, experiment decides.
rift valley
Hazard to Others

Mood: semiconducting

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 15:31

I donated but it will take a few days for the bank to wire the cash to paypal. Keep up the good work:)

i want 50% of my donation to go towards:

for Vulture of course

[Edited on 4/18/2005 by rift valley]

\"I have spent millions of dollars in millions of laboratories, out of which has come nothing, and here is a laboratory in which I have spent nothing out of which has come everything!\"
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 15:58
Donation

Polverone, $50 on its way via PayPal ! Glad to help ! The secure server is a great idea !
Most companies I do business with on the net use HTTPS.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 16:04

Hows about we get some embroidered patches with the sciencemadness logo. Now that would be classy :D It seems to me there is at least some demand for sciencemadness merchandise, I would wear it proudly :)

I feel like I should be donating a certain dollar amount per post I've made, but even at $.10 it would be killer ;) I am so glad to see everyone donating!

[Edited on 4/19/2005 by BromicAcid]

Polverone

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 17:16

No, BromicAcid, you are mistaken. If anything, I should be paying for high-quality posts like your many fascinating accounts of inorganic adventures. The value of this site is contained in the thousands of worthwhile contributions by its many members. I would be glad if I could get $0.25 for every incomprehensible post by The Gender Changer, though.

Some time back, maybe a year or more, I made available high-resolution copies of the Sciencemadness logo so people could make their own merchandise with it. Is there really some interest in buying logo'd merchandise from me (or maybe another moderator, if you're not close to the US), even though it would be trivial to make it yourself? I feel funny selling something with an artificial value like that, but I suppose it's not any weirder than taking donations, and I would be happy to see members wearing publicity for the site.

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 18-4-2005 at 18:41

I personally like the idea of a book about what you can do with everyday things. It could be easily sold as an e-book. I would guess that it would be popular among pyros who want to know more about the chemicals they play with and those rare hobbyists out there. If we could reach that second group, we could easily make money and get new members.
Ashendale
Harmless

Mood: Hydrated

[*] posted on 20-4-2005 at 03:46

Well, the problem with e-book is that it can be easily distributed and recieved without paying...which really isn't the idea of it.

TheBear
Hazard to Self

Mood: distilled

[*] posted on 20-4-2005 at 10:35

I haven't got a credit card and will probably not get one in the near future, so donations might have to wait (or am I missing out on some other way to put money on a paypal account?)

So in the mean time I made an alternative design for a sciencemadness T-shirt. (see attachment).

EDIT: If anyone wants the original photoshop file just PM me with your email (it's 600 kb).

[Edited on 20-4-2005 by TheBear]

scimad.jpg - 53kB
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top