Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Scientific glassblowing students for hire or trades. Want something made?
theglassguy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 12:31
Scientific glassblowing students for hire or trades. Want something made?

Hello, there. I'm a 2nd year student in the Scientific Glass Technology program at Salem Community College, and I would like to offer the services of myself and my fellow classmates to anyone who needs glass equipment/apparatus manufactured. We are all just starting out our careers for the most part, and could easily offer services at a price (or equivalent trade) much less than common manufacturers. Our instructors all have extensive experience in the industry, and we will be running all manufactured products through them for quality control. We would all really like the opportunity to get some experience working directly with researchers. We are located in southern New Jersey.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and please keep doing what you do so we can keep doing what we do.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by theglassguy]

[Edited on 12-10-2014 by theglassguy]
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 13:42

Very cool opportunity! I am glad to see you all offer assistance.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 13:47

what would a replica of philip harris fermentor vessel cost? Just the glass I mean

Like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philip-Harris-Lab-Fermenter-Kit-wi...
Oxirane
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 14:10

Hmm, a reactor-type glass vessel with large opening and head with multiple(3-5) ground joint sockets would be very nice!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 14:30

Try simples : 3-neck 250ml 24/29 ground glass joint RBFs

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 14:38

Soxhlet extractor with flask
and condenser might gather some interest.
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
what would a replica of philip harris fermentor vessel cost? Just the glass I mean

Like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philip-Harris-Lab-Fermenter-Kit-wi...

Thank you very much for your interest Liitle_Ghost_Again.

Looks like the vessel is typically priced at $188 USD, based on your link.

I think $70 plus shipping would be fair.

Though I can't seem to find exact specs for the piece online. It seems to be five threaded O-ring joints on top (four surrounding the central joint on top, bottom, left and right, and one central joint with a hose connection slightly under the threads.), and two on the body toward the top (one at a 45 degree angle).

Would you happen to know any specs for this piece? (height/outer diameter/inner diameter/internal pressure needs) Are there any specs. I'm not thinking of?

I hope this works out. This sounds like a very exciting project.
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 15:09

Quote: Originally posted by Oxirane  
Hmm, a reactor-type glass vessel with large opening and head with multiple(3-5) ground joint sockets would be very nice!

Thanks for your interest Oxirane! I believe we could accomplish what you are asking for in the range of $50-$70. Depending on the number of ground joints. Are you looking for something with a detachable head/flange connection?
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

Thank you, aga. That helped me a great deal.
Oxirane
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 15:17

Reactor type vessel is quite like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cOPUT9rZU1E/UfYQKFqigtI/AAAAAAAAAT...

It is technically a huge test tube, which can be as simple as it is, or then very complicated and expensive piece of craftwork. The end seal can be done with PTFE gasket and two clamp rings with threads that close the apparatus, or sometimes the whole opening is just a huge ground joint, and the top unit contains the smaller joints where dropper funnels, stirrers, temp meters, vacuum adapters, distillation bridges and everything else is inserted. The vessel may contain a drain tube, so it works as a separatory funnel too. The more expensive ones contain a mantle that can be filled with liquid for cooling or heating.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/283/834/404/404834283_704.jpg

I was thinking of something in volume of 4-5 liters.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by Oxirane]
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 15:27

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
Soxhlet extractor with flask
and condenser might gather some interest.

This is actually a favorite project amongst students. We could probably do the whole setup for around $90-$120 plus shipping, depending on the type of condenser and size of the joints. I will get some photos of some we have done and post them in the near future.

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 15:38

What sorts of apparatuses are you capable of producing? I interested in some larger 19/22 round bottom flasks, reflux and distillation columns, etc., and all in 19/22 standard size joints. Also, vacuum manifolds would be nice, along with boiling point and capillary tubes.

If I can get some of these cheaper from you, then why not!? I just ordered a 1L single-neck round bottom flask from UGT, and they are offering me a 2L for ~$78, which isn't the most enticing at the moment.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 16:01

Would it be possible to purchase a single 29/42 ground glass stopper? I might be able to think of something else I'd like to buy so that I wouldn't have such a tiny order, although I have almost all of the glassware that I need.
Edit: possibly an angled vacuum takeoff. I have a vertical one, but I think an angled one would be more useful to me.

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by zts16]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Optimus

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 17:08

How much would a 24/40 500ml solvent distillation head cost me?

theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 17:08

Quote: Originally posted by Oxirane  

Reactor type vessel is quite like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cOPUT9rZU1E/UfYQKFqigtI/AAAAAAAAAT...

It is technically a huge test tube, which can be as simple as it is, or then very complicated and expensive piece of craftwork. The end seal can be done with PTFE gasket and two clamp rings with threads that close the apparatus, or sometimes the whole opening is just a huge ground joint, and the top unit contains the smaller joints where dropper funnels, stirrers, temp meters, vacuum adapters, distillation bridges and everything else is inserted. The vessel may contain a drain tube, so it works as a separatory funnel too. The more expensive ones contain a mantle that can be filled with liquid for cooling or heating.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/283/834/404/404834283_704.jpg

I was thinking of something in volume of 4-5 liters.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by Oxirane]

That sounds like quite the project. I think it's possible, and I would love to do it (or more than likely, find a student better at large vessels on a lathe). Though I'm having a hard time pricing this, because I really have no idea how much this would normally cost. I'm searching online, but I'm having a hard time finding something comparable. I'm going to look at a few glass catalogs, and get back to ya soon. I think I have a pretty good idea of what you are talking about.
Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Optimus

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 17:13

Oxirane, a gasket and clamp set is around 500 dollars if you are looking at a large one.

Bikemaster
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 17:20

Just to give you an idea of the price of these type of vessels : http://glass.quarkglass.com/category/reaction-flask-2
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 18:23

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
What sorts of apparatuses are you capable of producing? I interested in some larger 19/22 round bottom flasks, reflux and distillation columns, etc., and all in 19/22 standard size joints. Also, vacuum manifolds would be nice, along with boiling point and capillary tubes.

If I can get some of these cheaper from you, then why not!? I just ordered a 1L single-neck round bottom flask from UGT, and they are offering me a 2L for ~$78, which isn't the most enticing at the moment.

We mainly focused on different techniques as opposed to full on products. five bends to this degree here, side seal there, 24/40 joint on the other end, that sort of thing. As far as full on components to an apparatus goes: wev'e done coil condensers, vigreux columns, Allin condensers, cold fingers, liebig condensers, and reaction arms. We are just starting manifolds and soxhlets. There are probably a few other projects we did that I'm not thinking of. We also did basic things like stir rods and test tubes.

What do you mean by "larger" 19/22 flasks? I don't really know what's common. We could probably do 2 liters for $50. Haven't tried feflux condensers, but I bet we could do them. Doesn't seem to much harder than a normal coil condenser. We could probably do those for around $80-120 depending on how big you want it and the connections to the coil. Manifolds or Schlenk lines would probably start at $80 depending on what you want. I'm not really sure what you meant by boiling point and capillary tubes. Are you looking for just raw capillary tubing?
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 18:33

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Would it be possible to purchase a single 29/42 ground glass stopper? I might be able to think of something else I'd like to buy so that I wouldn't have such a tiny order, although I have almost all of the glassware that I need.
Edit: possibly an angled vacuum takeoff. I have a vertical one, but I think an angled one would be more useful to me.

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by zts16]

A simple 29/42 stopper would be very possible, zts16. We could easily make that for $15 plus shipping and have it out that day. Could probably do the same for a vacuum take off. I actually really like doing those.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 18:38

Can you work in quartz?

I am in need of a few quarts furnace tubes - basically just a giant test tube with a 24/40 joint on the top. They would need to be roughly 400mm total length, inside diameter ~50mm.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 18:41

Are you interested in repairing items as well? I have a whole box of items that have various issues, eg, condensers with broken inlets, addition funnels with broken equil. tubes, a vigreux with one tip broken off, etc. I would be happy to pay to fix it, as long as I can do it for a reasonable price. Most are simple repairs. There are few glass blowers left around here, and many university staff don't do outside repairs anymore.
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 18:50

Quote: Originally posted by Blue Matter  
How much would a 24/40 500ml solvent distillation head cost me?

I've honestly never seen one of those before, Blue Matter. Looks like a fun project though. We could probably do something like that for $150 plus shipping.
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 18:56

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
Can you work in quartz?

I am in need of a few quarts furnace tubes - basically just a giant test tube with a 24/40 joint on the top. They would need to be roughly 400mm total length, inside diameter ~50mm.

We sadly do not have the necessary heat to work quartz efficiently at our school facilities. Though we just took a school trip to a small quartz shop that said they would rent studio time. I will call him on Tuesday and get back to you on a price. Definitely sounds like a doable project though.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 19:00

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Would it be possible to purchase a single 29/42 ground glass stopper?

Hope I am not being rude to chime in with a shameless plug, but for stock parts like stoppers, custom making those might be a bit pricey. You can buy them used or even new for not too much.

I have lots of loose stoppers in many TS# sizes and joint sizes, such as TS 8, ,9, 13, 16, 19, 22, 27, 32, and many more. They would be $1 for small, $2 for larger ones (32 and above). Those are commonly used in sep funnels, volumetric flasks, grad cyl, and other glass containers. The US postage for one stopper would be about $2-3, more than 1 would add only slightly more in shipping.

I also have 14/20, 19/22, 24/40, 29/42 and other stoppers for standard joints. They are $2 each, some are solid, some hollow, some designed as reagent bottle tops.

And lastly, I have a box full of Teflon (and a few glass) stopcocks, in most normal sizes. The most common sizes are used in sep funnels, burets, addition funnels, inlet adapters, manifolds, and more.

Also, if the glassblowing school can use any of the above, or if you have a use for a few new standard joints, valves, stopcocks, and other glassblowing parts and pieces, I would be happy to donate some to you, I have a few items like that which I cannot use. Even happier to swap them for some minor repairs :-)

Bob

[Edited on 12-10-2014 by Dr.Bob]
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 19:12

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Are you interested in repairing items as well? I have a whole box of items that have various issues, eg, condensers with broken inlets, addition funnels with broken equil. tubes, a vigreux with one tip broken off, etc. I would be happy to pay to fix it, as long as I can do it for a reasonable price. Most are simple repairs. There are few glass blowers left around here, and many university staff don't do outside repairs anymore.

We most certainly could do repairs! If you pack up a box good and send us some projects, we will most certainly do our best to fix them. and charge a reasonable rate. $25 for one repair, but we could probably do a big box of stuff for like $80-$100. If you could post some pictures, that would be really helpful as to asess the cost. Though I should point out that there is a certain degree of risk involved when repairing something badly broken or something that has many welds or sensitive components around it. While we certainly wouldn't charge anything if a such a piece did break while attempting to fix it, know that it's a possibility in some circumstances.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top