Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Scientific glassblowing students for hire or trades. Want something made?
theglassguy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Would it be possible to purchase a single 29/42 ground glass stopper?

Hope I am not being rude to chime in with a shameless plug, but for stock parts like stoppers, custom making those might be a bit pricey. You can buy them used or even new for not too much.

I have lots of loose stoppers in many TS# sizes and joint sizes, such as TS 8, ,9, 13, 16, 19, 22, 27, 32, and many more. They would be $1 for small, $2 for larger ones (32 and above). Those are commonly used in sep funnels, volumetric flasks, grad cyl, and other glass containers. The US postage for one stopper would be about $2-3, more than 1 would add only slightly more in shipping.

I also have 14/20, 19/22, 24/40, 29/42 and other stoppers for standard joints. They are $2 each, some are solid, some hollow, some designed as reagent bottle tops.

And lastly, I have a box full of Teflon (and a few glass) stopcocks, in most normal sizes. The most common sizes are used in sep funnels, burets, addition funnels, inlet adapters, manifolds, and more.

Also, if the glassblowing school can use any of the above, or if you have a use for a few new standard joints, valves, stopcocks, and other glassblowing parts and pieces, I would be happy to donate some to you, I have a few items like that which I cannot use. Even happier to swap them for some minor repairs :-)

Bob

[Edited on 12-10-2014 by Dr.Bob]

Trading some components or parts for some repairs sounds like a great idea to me, Dr. Bob. I quoted the guy a few comments back for $25 plus shipping for a small box to start, and $80 plus shipping for a big box. If you send us enough stuff to make it worth our time, we'd definitely be up for the challenge. But as I mentioned in the comment above, do know that some things can break when attempting repair (not that I would ever charge anyone for that.)
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 09:38

I'll send you an address, Dr. Bob. Just send us enough to make it worth it, and well send ya back some repaired goods.

Feel free to drop me a message if anyone else wants an address to trade some glass components or glass blowing parts to do some repairs.
I know I would sure like a Bunsen burner...:D
Keck clips and ring stands are nice too...
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 21:46

Would you guys prefer a dwg. file for a work order? ( drafting student here.) I am looking to have an electrochemical cell made( 2 liter or so but the bugger part is the fritted barrier) as well as a few gas mixing flasks. in any case thanks! Its nice to see someone offering to us!

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-10-2014 at 06:02

Very much so, Funkerman23. We CAD is a required class for the program. If you send us the file, we could very quickly establish whether it is within our ability or not. The gas mixing flasks definitely sound feasible. my e-mail is ababino@studnets.salemcc.edu .
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 17-10-2014 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by theglassguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
what would a replica of philip harris fermentor vessel cost? Just the glass I mean

Like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philip-Harris-Lab-Fermenter-Kit-wi...

Thank you very much for your interest Liitle_Ghost_Again.

Looks like the vessel is typically priced at $188 USD, based on your link.

I think $70 plus shipping would be fair.

Though I can't seem to find exact specs for the piece online. It seems to be five threaded O-ring joints on top (four surrounding the central joint on top, bottom, left and right, and one central joint with a hose connection slightly under the threads.), and two on the body toward the top (one at a 45 degree angle).

Would you happen to know any specs for this piece? (height/outer diameter/inner diameter/internal pressure needs) Are there any specs. I'm not thinking of?

I hope this works out. This sounds like a very exciting project.

I will get some specs

Seems a good price...............But what about discount for say 4-5 units?
I know someone who well might be interested
NOV:5
Harmless

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 17-10-2014 at 17:11

Id like a sox set as well, micro chem size 14/10, 5 bulb condenser, 100ml rbf
Some 2 & 3 neck rbf as well

Edited on 18-10-2014 by NOV:5]

[Edited on 18-10-2014 by NOV:5]

Remember, Remember...
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 17:34

I have a Vireux column and a liebig condenser both missing their upper joints. I have no use for them (except maybe for reflux), if you want to try repairs on them let me know the cost. (19/22)

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 15:17

The vacuum gauge thread piqued my interest.

I am looking into getting up a vacuum distillation set-up, and suitable vacuum gauges are an issue.

How about a mercury manometer?

Here is a picture of one:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=220346&...

It would just be the S-tube, with a 24/29 ST joint so that a vacuum valve could be attached.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 17:46

I have a buret with the tip (2-3") broken off. Could you folks repair this?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-5-2015 at 21:09

Thanks for the kudos in the other thread, Dr. Bob. I'm glad the repairs worked out for you, and I hope ya send me some more stuff to work on. I'm done with school now and have relocated back to the west coast for the time being. My schedule is much more open now should anyone else want repairs or something made. I will also be making a few example products in the next couple of weeks and posting them for sale as examples of my work. I would also like to say that I am very open to the idea of trading equipment for glass work.
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-5-2015 at 23:05

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I have a buret with the tip (2-3") broken off. Could you folks repair this?

I could easily fix that for ya. $10 plus shipping and handling. Easy fix. Or if ya have anything you think I might be interested in...
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-5-2015 at 23:18

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
The vacuum gauge thread piqued my interest.

I am looking into getting up a vacuum distillation set-up, and suitable vacuum gauges are an issue.

How about a mercury manometer?

Here is a picture of one:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=220346&...

It would just be the S-tube, with a 24/29 ST joint so that a vacuum valve could be attached.

This all depends on a few things, careysub.
Would you want mercury in it, or do chemists usually add it every use?
Are these all the same standard design? If so I could probably find one at the local college and measure it out, if not I would need a little more info on your specific vacuum valve...
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-5-2015 at 23:21

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  
I have a Vireux column and a liebig condenser both missing their upper joints. I have no use for them (except maybe for reflux), if you want to try repairs on them let me know the cost. (19/22)

I coud definitely fix those up for ya. $20/equal trade a piece plus shipping would cover it. Let me know if you would still like these fixed.
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-5-2015 at 23:32

Quote: Originally posted by NOV:5  
Id like a sox set as well, micro chem size 14/10, 5 bulb condenser, 100ml rbf
Some 2 & 3 neck rbf as well

Edited on 18-10-2014 by NOV:5]

I could do a whole soxset of that variety for about $85, 2 neck rbf's for $30, 3 neck rbf for $40 of that same size. Let me know if you're still interested sounds like a fun project!
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-5-2015 at 12:16

my e-mail is ababino@studnets.salemcc.edu .

Is this still a valid address?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 25-5-2015 at 15:00

Dang I had no idea this thread existed.

Ill probably open up communication with you soon enough glassguy I have some things that could use repair :).

theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-5-2015 at 19:34

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
my e-mail is ababino@studnets.salemcc.edu .

Is this still a valid address?

Glad you brought that up. It is not anymore. You can send it to my personal one ... aaronbabino@yahoo.com
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-5-2015 at 23:51

Just wanted to throw it out there. I could really use some standard taper ground glass joints of varying sizes, or some manufactured hose connections if anyone is wanting to trade for some glass work. Repair or custom.
adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-5-2015 at 00:45

I'm really interested in a solvent still glassware kit - 29/32 joints (prefer Duran / Pyrex / Lens glass)

The cost of Argon packed anhydrous solvents is killing me.

Let me know if you can help;
sales@argentscientific.com

Cheers,

A
theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 23:39

Just sent you an email, adk. Hope we can work something out. That sounds like a fun project.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 05:33

Can you fabricate one of these...

image.jpg - 238kB

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

theglassguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 11:23

That seems simple enough, Bert. Would you want all the extra components, or just the funnel? What size would you want the standard taper joints that hold everything at the top? I don't know if I could construct something to hold it though. If you're serious about this I could seek out a local machinist.
Jacob_Shin
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 18:47

How much would the simplest glass diffusion pump (do a google search) cost to make?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 06:30

Not sure if I still have it, but I had a broken glass oil diffusion pump somewhere years ago that I put aside to try to get fixed. If you wanted to pay someone to repair it, I would sell it cheap and even ship it straight to the person fixing it to save on postage. They are not trivial to make or use. Most people just use turbo molecular pumps now, like on most mass specs. But I remember using both oil and Hg diffusion pumps in college.

Also, if theglassguy is still on here and active I have a growing pile of broken stuff to try to repair again. I have a few addition funnels with broken equil. arms and more glassware which I would love to get fixed again sometime. But I have been waiting until I get enough to bother with.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top