Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pipe template
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-4-2005 at 14:48
Pipe template

Does anyone have experience making paper wrap-around templates for joining pipe together? I've found one site that explains how to use parallel line development to mate pipes of the same size, but nothing on joining pipes of differing outer diameters.

I'm trying to join a piece of 1.5" pipe to the side of a 4" pipe without using fittings.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2005 at 16:09

This may sound too easy, because I may not understand the problem; but why not position the smaller pipe where you want to weld it, and then use a straight edge to project where the pipes would meet? Mark the spot and then move a small amount and repeat. Then connect the dots. I suggest a Sharpie felt tip pen. Harbor Freight also sells a similar tool to attach two pipes. You could use a rubber band to attach toothpicks to the smaller pipe and then push the pipes together to get the pattern of the contact. Remove the material inside the points and then insert the smaller pipe into the hole. Then weld, glue, solder or whatever.

FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2005 at 17:09

Mr.Wizard,

That toothpick idea is great!
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 27-4-2005 at 18:35

Screw all that BS, just go get a bi-metal hole saw in the outside diameter of the smaller pipe from your local home labyrinthe.
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2005 at 19:40

I found an article that was able to help me with the parallel-line development template: http://fabfacts.com/articles/pipewelding.php (Tee joint section)

The pipe is PVC, so using a belt sander I made the rough contour and then wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the bigger pipe and sanded until the fit was perfect. Simple.

Go To Top