Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wire cloth mesh
greenyppols
Hazard to Self

Mood: Who's been messin' with my moods?

[*] posted on 29-4-2005 at 04:58
Wire cloth mesh

Hi all. perusing the boards led me into reading about alkali metals and production of sodium. I read somewhere (I thought it was this board) about an iron mesh size being described as 100x100/cm, I think, and I cant figure out how it converts to standard US sieve size. Would it be 100=.0059/inch or more towards us sieve size 635=.0008?

I was looking at wire mesh cloth at sefar.com.

I'd like to try to build a downs cell and the wire mesh will keep the cl2 and Na separate, if I've read all this right...

I figure to go find a cast iron dutch oven at the local wally mart for the cell body and use a glass funnel above the anode to direct the cl out, and seal it somehow, which is a bridge I'll cross after figuring out mesh sizes. lol. Running out door to peruse the library before class.

yeah, an old man in skool. lol.

Thanks all
hdcwr0x2
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2005 at 17:04

What are you using for a heat source? You'll need something pretty hot to keep the NaCl + CaCl2 molten.

*Adding the CaCl2 lowers the MP of the NaCl considerably, from 800+ C to 550 C or so. You won't be able to keep pure NaCl molten, trust me.

Sorry but I don't know anything about the sieve size. Anything VERY fine will probably be suitable. Good luck with this and post some pics when you get your setup all together.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 19-5-2005 at 17:41

100/cm = 254/in = 250 mesh

Go To Top