Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Metal Reactions
Craig
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:14
Sodium Metal Reactions

Hi,

I've been videoing reactions between sodium metal and water. Although this is nothing new I think the pictures are quite nice and maybe of interest to some of you. Both pictures are captured from video. Approximately the same size piece of sodium was used in both sequences.

You can see the full size images, as well as a few more from the sequence, at my website:

http://www.craigsarea.com/na.html

You can also download some low resolution videos. I only have dial-up, so it'll be a while before I upload the high resolution videos.

Reletively small amounts of sodium were used and the images should act as a warning to others who are considering expermenting with sodium.

I've got loads of sodium which I plan to video sometime soon (much bigger reactions). At the moment I'm looking for a safe location to use it. I'll upload the pictures and videos as soon as they are ready.

The webpage is quite new, so if you have any problems or spot any mistakes please let me know. Feel free to make suggestions for future experiments.:)

Cheers,

Craig.
Phel
Hazard to Self

Mood: viscous creep

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:28

How exactly were you able to get the Sodium in the water on the second pic? I don't see any mechanical devices like the ones on (IIRC) Theodore Gray's webpage.
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:39

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig
The webpage is quite new, so if you have any problems or spot any mistakes please let me know. Feel free to make suggestions for future experiments.:)

A link to Science Madness? :P
Nice site, BTW.

The second pic of the sodium looks neat!

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:45

"...free to make suggestions for future experiments..."

No need for us to do that; just browse around the forum. Surely, at least one or two threads would be interesting enough for you to pursue. ;)

sparky (~_~)

P.S. Didn't someone here try something similar with potassium metal? Or was that lithium? :P

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 07:29

Future experiments:
Try potassium. It burns on snow ! (Ice, if it doesn't snow in your place).
It's quite fascinating!

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 08:47

I'd like to see the "experiments with mercury" sections completed.
I'm interested in building a mercury vapor lamp which produces UV radiation suitable for photocatalysed reactions and perhaps for producing ozone.

Anyways, the site is nice. Keep up the good work!
Craig
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 09:06

Quote:
How exactly were you able to get the Sodium in the water on the second pic? I don't see any mechanical devices like the ones on (IIRC) Theodore Gray's webpage.

The amount of sodium used in the pictures is quite small. The time between the sodium being placed in the water and the large reaction happening is around 15 seconds. This allows me to drop the sodium in the water, at arms length, and then take many steps back. The camera is on a tripod with zoom (I'm nowhere near the camera). And I ALWAYS wear eye-protection. Although I admit this is a far from perfect setup and I don't advise anyone else doing it like this.

I'm currently looking into safer setups for larger reactions.

Quote:
A link to Science Madness? Nice site, BTW.

Link now added. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Quote:
No need for us to do that; just browse around the forum. Surely, at least one or two threads would be interesting enough for you to pursue.

Try potassium. It burns on snow

This forum is a wealth of information. I've got some potassium which I plan to video soon.:) I'll give the ice a try.

Quote:
I'm interested in building a mercury vapor lamp which produces UV radiation suitable for photocatalysed reactions and perhaps for producing ozone.

I'm currently working on the mercury and aluminium section. I hope to have the webpage up sometime next week. I'll post the details in this forum when it's ready.

Your project sounds interesting (take care with that mercury vapor). Concerning the ozone production, I'm currently working on a solid state Tesla coil, which produces loads of ozone. In fact, it use to produce so much ozone that I'm sure I started to suffer side effects:).

[Edited on 4-5-2005 by Craig]
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 20:21

Just use a common mercury vapor lamp without the protective envelope.

Quote:
Originally posted by garage chemist

Anyways, the site is nice. Keep up the good work!

Go To Top