Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Liquified gasses in ampoules
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 21:49
Liquified gasses in ampoules

Seeking any thoughts on ampouling liquid chlorine. and just for interest, has anyone tried ampoule of LN2. I don't have access to anything colder than LN2, so maybe I cant do it?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 22:08

How often do we do this diddi? Your questions are similar to mine.
That said, I have read a couple of threads on ampouling. I would be surprised if liquid chlorine hasn't been covered already.
I have seen nice quartz samples of liquid chlorine. I am not sure how much internal pressure is an issue and whether you would get away with regular glass ampoules. I know there are issues with pressurising a gas in an ampoule.

Woelen posted in one of these threads some ampoules of gaseous Cl2 that he made. His pix are in the Wikipedia entry on Chlorine if I recall correctly.

My plan is to have a go at ampouling Cl2 gas first. I will then have a go at liquid. I will use dry ice and acetone to get Cl2 down to the required temperature. Then a separate container without the acetone to hold the temp down while I seal the ampoule. (I really don't want an acetone flare up while attempting to melt the glass.)
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 03:00

I have seen a bit here and there as well, but nice to have any recent updates. at room temp chlorine has vapour pressure of about 10atm, so good glass should contain it OK. I want to try making an ampoule out of borosilicate test tubes to see what they are like. maybe abject failure, but wont know until I try. I will use LN2 for my cold bath. no fire problems that way and the vapour above the liquid is useful to provide a temp gradient rather than in or out of a liquid with no in between.

also considering liquid O2 and Ar.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 03:37

Sounds like you have access to a few better resources than I do.
Your element collection should be a stunning piece of work when it all comes together.
Let me know how you get on.

Chlorine aside, then next serious ampoule that I do will be bromine. I have a thick walled 10mL graduated pipette where the markings have rubbed off. I figure that it will be a great-looking sample if I 3/4 fill it with bromine. I got some glassware today and so I will get on to it in the next spare weekend -- which unfortunately is likely to be a month away still.
(Or maybe the boron project will come first.)

Go To Top