Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: solvent for PIB, not AP?
V2A
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2005 at 07:37
solvent for PIB, not AP?

hi

i want to try making an apan based plastique explosive, cause by and by blowing things up with semtex gets a bit expensive... :D

well, the idea was to plasticize apan 1:4 the same way as petn: mix it 90/5/5 apan/polyisobutylene/motoroil
(oil as a softener, cause a can't obatian bis(2-ethylhexyl)sebacate which is normaly used for that purpose)

but the problem now is mixing pib with apex:
normaly u dissolve pib in benzine, then add petn which is insoluble in benzine. and finally let the benzine evaporate.
but apex is soluble in benzine, too. if i would use benzine the apex would dissolve and then crystallize slowly -> large apex crystalls -> very bad

so i need a solvent in which AP is insoluble and pib soluble (an it should not react with ammoniumnitrate of course). or a completely different way to mix pib with apan.

any ideas?

(at the moment im trying to mix only pib, oil and ammoniumnitrate with the solvent method. maybe its possible to add the ap by kneading it into the plastique, but thats not a good method for lager batches...)

greets
V2A
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 13-5-2005 at 07:45

I think this is counted as practical discussion, which isn't approved here. Usually this stuff should go over at RogueScience (Explosives & Weapons Forum), however it seems to be down alot nowadays.

As for plastiques, I don't think primary explosives are well suited for this purpose. Have you tried AP + Nitrocellulose putty? I've heard a bit here and there about it, mostly at RS which is down now.

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
V2A
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2005 at 07:58

oh, sorry, didn't know that this is counted as a practical discussion...

AP+nitrocellulose - maybe, but this is also expensive.
i wanted to try some some special explosive techniques like "shear off blasting" (don't know if that is the correct translation for "abscherungs-sprenung";) and therefore need a bit larger amounts of plastique explosive (100g blocs would be fine :) )

[Edited on 13-5-2005 by V2A]
Madandcrazy
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 15-5-2005 at 07:04

Sorry,

i had read somewhat APAN was a
simply composit of
85% AN
10% DPPP
5% PIB mixture
in a vaporizeable solvent