Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Handling Nitrogen Triiodide NI3
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 28-8-2006 at 15:39

"I wish I could remember the text on the electrochemical life thing."

While it never sounds good to post links from ufo quackery sites, I found one page that talked about the old 1800's experiment creating life. While I do not advise wasting much time with the site itself the page I link here is a good one, and gives enough information for anyone wanting to search the subject further. In 1969 I spent the evening in the secure basement of the Linda Hall science library reading the very book which contained the very complete written account of this man and his experiments. I noticed in the link I give below that they mention not knowing the exact specifics of the experiments in order to recreate them. I remember well that the book I read was complete in detail but it has been far too long for me to remember it. Taking the book out or copying it was out of the question, certain old books they had were only viewable with a library person watching over it and they could not be handled or taken to a copier (the technology of copiers in 1969 was crap anyway). I still do not remember enough to search for the exact book itself but I think it was some type of book printed by the London Electrical society. The reason I kept thinking it was Michael Faraday is that in the book I read was also a report in detail of the experiments he did which had given identical results. It was the writing of Faraday in the book that was so in depth into exact details which stuck in my memory. It was not until I could find the name of the originator that I could do any searching on the subject as nothing appears online related to this under Faradays name.

The experiments mentioned in the links below is the exact scientist I was trying to remember months ago so I put them here as FYI.

http://www.spartechsoftware.com/dimensions/mystical/AndrewCr...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Crosse

http://www.mystical-www.co.uk/crossan.htm

Good detail on the experiments:

http://www.rexresearch.com/crosse/crosse.htm

http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm

"This is Acarus electricus, a mite first noticed by Andrew Crosse in 1837. Crosse was an amateur scientist, and was conducting experiments on the growth of crystals by subjecting certain minerals to long term, low level electric currents. The mineral sample, an iron oxide, was imbibed with a toxic mixture of hydrochloric acid and a silicate of potash solution, and continuously electrified by means of a battery. Several weeks into the experiment, filaments began to appear on the stone, which apparently resembled insects. Eventually, Crosse noticed movement, and detected a great number of living mites on the sample. He repeated the experiment under closely monitored conditions using sterilized and sealed equipment. Again, the mites appeared. Word soon got out, and popular opinion was that living creatures had been synthesized from inorganic matter. Crosse was called everything from a blasphemer to a Frankenstein, despite the fact that he never made any claims that he had created life, or even discovered a new species. In fact, he never attempted to explain the phenomenon, other than hazarding a guess that they may have hatched from airborne eggs deposited before the device was sealed."

I find it interesting that many including Faraday redid this work with positive results and had also carefully considered contamination among other things. This makes one wonder if there really is something to these experiments. The text just above is the closest I can find to the words in one account I read in that old book, good enough for any of you out here who want to try their hand at making a modern frankenstein.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 28-8-2006 at 22:51

But if this is so interesting, then why nobody has done it anymore for the last 150 years? The equipment for the experiment is not that extensive, and a small lab with a good oven for sterilizing and vacuum machinery could do these experiments.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2006 at 07:01

No idea. Some things just get lost in time. I would not mind having a few scrolls from the library of Alexandria to study.
Marvin
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-8-2006 at 08:32

The filiments sound like the 'crystal garden' type experiments from sodium silicate solution.
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2006 at 09:28

That was my thoughts also. I wish I had a copy of the ancient book though as reading the work of Faraday and Crosse leaves no doubt these things behaved as if they were an insect colony and while I am not sure about Crosse I know Faraday would not have been so easily fooled nor so cavalier in his experiments. Hell the guy has units named after him he must have been a very good scientist for his day right?

Little crystals certainly would not behave as if they were alive. Interesting mystery for sure, just wish I had a way to copy and paste the words I remember reading by these guys so long ago. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back to K.C. and scan that book.

I just remembered that this book was also where I read this very in depth study of some experiments by a Japanese scientist on electrets, and this story stuck me with experimenting along this line for the rest of my life. I still to this day experiement and play with electrets, recently I just finished building the best over 100 KV supply I have ever owned for just this research.

[Edited on 29-8-2006 by IrC]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 29-8-2006 at 10:23

Quote:
Originally posted by IrC
I wish I had a copy of the ancient book though as reading the work of Faraday and Crosse leaves no doubt these things behaved as if they were an insect colony and while I am not sure about Crosse I know Faraday would not have been so easily fooled nor so cavalier in his experiments.

If they would appear as live insect-like entities, a true scientist, even a 19th century one, would do some very predictable things. First he would switch off the current to see if this phenomenon is current dependent. Second, he would isolate the things in a separate baker and see if it the phenomenon still exists outside the ambient/solution/conditions where it was created. Third, he would most certainly observe the phenomenon under a microscope and make detailed observations of the supposedly alive entity. And all this even before any serious research – definitively the same day of the original observation. How could any of these scientists get a sleep without doing any of these basic steps? IrC, do you happen to remember at least if any of such evaluations was mentioned in that old book, though not necessarily remembering any details?
No available notes on any such preliminary evaluation seam to be available to us regardless of the claim that Faraday and several others were able to reproduce the experiment. So, unless there was some censorship in action, I would say all this is pretty much useless. I would recon this is the reason why this thing simply evaporated from history and only the account of the religious fanatics destroying the career of the young and promising researcher remained written. Remember Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons? Sure you do, but will anybody remember them after 170 years? Unless someone proves they were right, I don’t think anybody will.
Quote:
Little crystals certainly would not behave as if they were alive.

Actually, little crystals certainly could behave like being alive when exposed to a changing electrical field, which an electrochemical cell with errant currents among the chargeable crystals could certainly cause. Compare with iron powder in a moving magnetic field to get the picture. Furthermore, very small crystals could even be prone to Brownian motion that might appear as some kind of lively activity, though this could only be observed under a microscope unless the crystals would be some very light or aerogel-like. (However, Crosse should have been familiar with Brownian motion given that it was described a decade earlier.)

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2006 at 11:30

I have no doubt Faraday did the tests you describe and he was aware of brownian motion so I suppose you are right. Censorship seems likely the only reason no other accounts survive, remember what a draconian religious society existed at the time. I know Faraday defended Crosse, but as to any later work being mentioned I am not aware of any. As to electric fields, I clearly remember some of the writings mentioned observing the creatures/entities under static conditions with no juice applied to discount this very idea. Only during formation was a field applied to the cell.

Censorship does indeed suck big time!

This I do know for a fact. The book survives but to see it you need someone as credentials. The basement at the Linda Hall science library is not open to the public as far as I know, I had a science teacher who had past affiliations which gave him access and he used to take a group of us geeks there every monday night in 1969. It was one of the times of my life I remember most fondly no doubt. If anyone here still has access to this vault I would sure like to see the whole book copied. Everything from electrets to whacky lifeforms written by the best scientific minds of the victorian era.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2006 at 21:59

Quote:
Originally posted by IrC
In 1969 I spent the evening in the secure basement of the Linda Hall science library
reading the very book which contained the very complete written account of
this man and his experiments.

You and all here should be aware that library security is designed to prevent
theft of its collections. It is entirely open to anyone who would surreptitiously
introduce a book or document of his own into such a collection. The recent
" Da Vince Code " is an example of a hoax perpetrated in this way.
Quote:
Originally posted by IrC
Taking the book out or copying it was out of the question

A library that does not possess photographic reproduction capabitlities is just
a private collection.

It took me about 2 minutes to find the citation in the Library of Congress online catalog
searching by author -> Crosse, Andrew
http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PA...

Nicodem is right , this written account you read is merely an anecdotal
assertion with a shocking lack of followup.

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2006 at 01:01

The search you give is not the book I read. It also contained writings by Faraday and others, including a writeup on the electrets and the details were quite good. It was more like a Scientific American in content. Also, 40 years ago the number of fruitcakes was much smaller than it is today. Nobody was going to sneak a book into a library that was so old it was of great value. Besides, this was not a private collection. It was one of two major underground repositories of scientific knowledge for the US to preserve scientific information in case of nuclear attack, this was the purpose of the vault. Also they would have needed to get into the file system of the library to get the book information entered into the filing system as it was going through the fishes that I found this interesting sounding title. There was nothing magical or mystical, or mysterious going on here. It was merely a very old book which was for real at the time of its publication which was in the 1860's IIRC.

I think way too much conspiracy theory crap abounds on the internet and it is affecting your thinking. The book was what it was. There is no point in picking apart too far this whole subject, I just gave it as FYI for anyone interested in looking into some of the stranger scientific works of the past.
Mr_Benito_Mussolini
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2006 at 14:39

http://rapidshare.de/files/31374912/Cross_s_Acari.djvu.html
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2006 at 17:43

Good post. It is another account which so far is also all I can find searching but one thing I got from your post was the name of the book I read so long ago. It was the "Transactions of the London Electrical Society" but I do not remember the year, other than the issue in question I am guessing was in the 1860's, and contained the actual article he wrote which gave details of the work. It also contained a writeup by Faraday on the Crosse subject which gave particulars also, and the issue contained an article on electrets. The articles were along the lines of projects in the Amateur Scientist in that you could recreate the work based upon the information in the articles. So I guess I need to find this publication or at least a copy of the actual article itself rather than more accounts of it.
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2006 at 11:59

After thinking about this for a while it came to me that science today really does need to take a long hard look at itself. With this in mind here is some music to listen to while you do.

http://www.theradicalremnant.com/layf.mp3

And why not a little more Uriah Heep:

http://www.theradicalremnant.com/sl.mp3

http://www.theradicalremnant.com/tmb.mp3

http://www.theradicalremnant.com/wizzard.mp3

Anyway, let us think about it. Try putting yourself in the mindset of a scientist during the victorian era. Religion controlled government and society as a whole, and anyone going against this mindset would be unlikely to get into any peer reviewed journals, nor any research grants, such as they were during this time.

Up until the 1930's or so, electricity was the new miracle lifegiver/cureall, until too much publicity of quackery abounded putting more or less an end to such flights of fancy. Even as late as the 1950's, the new miracle cureall was radiation. However too many B movies combined with using nuclear weapons, the cold war, three mile island, etc., removed the magical mindset to even this new form of energy. So in recoil science trended completely away from all such lines of thought. I think the lack of this book being readily available stemmed from this fear of going against the grain of society, not to mention the scientific community.

If you believe in evolution however surely you have read somewhere or other that life began as a lightning strike in some primordial soup in the oceans right? If you can buy this then why is it such a stretch to believe in using batteries in a chemical soup to do likewise? Myself no I do not believe in evolution (other than adaptive evolution where a species grows to meet physical challenges in it's changing world). If however you do believe in these theories of evolution why then is it such a step to think that these old experiments could not contain some form of validity or even some new scientific truth?

Something to think about at least. I really do believe that mindsets even today have prevented science from advancing as far as it might have. During the victorian era it was no stretch to believe that anything was possible. Perhaps this loss has restrained ideas and inventions which we should have already been the benefactors of (or not, frankenstein does come to mind).

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by IrC]
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 31-8-2006 at 17:37

I don’t know how exactly life began, but I do know that it required time. Lots and lots of time.

As far as I understand the subject, it happened something like this: Originally there were organic molecules floating around. After hundreds of millions of years of random reactions and interactions, some came together to form single-celled life.

I’m sure that some lightning strikes, volcanic events, meteor impacts, and the like were responsible for creating these molecules, but there wasn’t a magic spark that suddenly created a functioning cell out of simple molecules.

Also keep in mind that although life itself has been around for well over 3 billion years, multicelled life is only ~600 million years old. I doubt that the magic jump from single to multicelled life could be recreated in a test tube in only a few days.

Now, why the hell are we talking about the origin of life in an NI<sub>3</sub> thread?

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by neutrino]

JustMe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-8-2006 at 19:02

I sure don't know why you've gone so far astray from the topic. And, regarding that topic I recall a story from my youth of a fine USE for the ammonia adjunct of Nitrogen Tri-Iodide... as an extermination method for flies.

Huh? Yeah, landmines for flies. Back in the good old days when chemicals were more accessible and mad science easier I heard say of a student who mixed up a batch of NI3 and while it was wet coated a bunch of small pieces of paper with it and either (can't remember) sprinkled sugar on the wet mixture or used sugar water for the moisture, I think the former.

He then spread it out to dry, scattering the paper all about on a hard surface in an area where there were flies and waited for it to dry. The story goes that the flies would be attracted to the sugar, land and BAM, each explode in a purple puff. Myth or not, I don't know, but it is kind of funny in a sick way.

Oh, and the first day I went to college, while walking up the steps to my dorm room I noticed some dark reddish-black powder and instantly recognized it (yes, I have made this stuff in small, repeat, small quantities). It wasn't much and quite spread out but a few minutes later there was a small bang and a "WTF" from the person who stepped on it. Ah, those were the days. Madness, pure madness.
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2006 at 19:29

It fit. The quote at the top of page 3 comes from a post on page 1, so it seemed fitting to post it here otherwise no one would have known where the quote came from. But it was not intended as a discussion, rather just a post of some links for people to go look at. Others kept asking questions so on it went. Not worth starting a new thread anyway as I was just answering a question from page 1.

But on that subject I wonder if life does take millions of years. I imagine the "spark" is over in a moment, and the experiments did need to be run from 1 to 2 years or more. Don't say anymore here though or it will confuse the explosive topic.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 01:13

I'm not sure which is a more explosive topic.
Is it "NI3" or "origins of life" ???? I bet the latter.

But anyway, let's get back to the safe NI3 :D ...

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 02:14

Come on Woelen! Don't spoil the fun. This topic is interesting. Maybe not in its implication of creating these little Frankenstein monsters as a way of creating life, but as an anecdote from the old days it is very interesting.
I suggest a moderator to cut out the part about Crosse's experiments and create a new thread safe from NI3 explosions, perhaps in Miscellaneous or Whimsy.
This way we will be able to continue the discussion about these little fellows:

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 08:17

Not a bad idea and it would be easy as this whole page is about it except for justme's post, which could be the new top of page 3. Maybe they should title it "Lost Science" or "Would the real Frankenstein please stand up"?

Or how about just plain old "Acarus electricus"?
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 08:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicodem
Come on Woelen! Don't spoil the fun. This topic is interesting.

Of course, I did not say this should not be discussed at all, but it is better to do it in another thread. Indeed, could one of the mods split off this thread?

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2006 at 11:43

Transactions of the London Electrical Society __ 1838 - 1843

This is not available from the Library of Congress , photocopied requests are
available from The British Library. I cannot give you a link since each request
made is individually tracked and times out. Go here first ->
http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/?func=file&file_name=login-bl-l...

next click [color=darkblue]Search the Integrated catalog[/color]
enter [color=darkblue]London Electrical Society[/color] into the search field ,
next to [color=darkblue]Search by[/color] click this -> |[color=darkblue]V[/color]| and from the drop down list
select [color=darkblue]Word from title[/color] , below this line next to [color=darkblue]Exact Phrase ?[/color]
click Yes , and Go

Much quicker and more comprehensive is www.worldcatlibraries.org
here is the link already searched ->
www.worldcatlibraries.org/search?qt=worldcat_org&q=Londo...

The first page gives all ten relevant hits. Fourth from top " Proceedings "
Lists " Linda Hall " , click [color=darkblue]Serial Publiction[/color] to search the citation.
( See attached image 0
You must enter your location into the [color=darkblue]Enter location information[/color] search field
of the first link that you click to obtain the repositories and proximity to you.

My initial skepticism still hiolds. If this were a manuscript written 500 years
before your citation it would be entirely expected to read some alchemical
yarn about spontaneous creation. By the mid 19th century such notions had
long since been discounted. The creature detailed is obviously a dust mite as
any entomologist would tell. Given the time 1840's before Pasteur when no one
yet had any idea of microscopic organisms , one can readily understand the
misunderstanding. Not quite an extremophile , mites , because of their short
life cycle and simple anatomy are resistent even to radiation that would
sterilize all other life forms.
In a related manner minute shrimp can be hermetically sealed into a water
filled glass bulb with algae and form a complete closed biotic system.
http://blizzard.rwic.und.edu/~nordlie/biosphere

[Edited on 4-9-2006 by franklyn]

LES Linda Hall.JPG - 36kB
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top