Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware logo
sbreheny
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 17:16
Glassware logo

Hi all,

I've seen the logo in the image below on several pieces of volumetric glassware I have and I initially thought it was a manufacturer's logo. However, today I saw it on an entirely different kind of equipment (optical glossmeter) so I am beginning to think it is some kind of certification or regulatory mark. Google searches for CMC and MCC turned up nothing. I also simplified the logo to black and white and did a Google image search and it found lots of similar logos but not this one itself.

Does anyone know what this means? I am just curious.

Thanks,

Sean

cmc2.png - 6kB
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 18:43

Gosh, that looks really familiar! I know I've seen it somewhere before but I can't remember where. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
sbreheny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 20:31

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Gosh, that looks really familiar! I know I've seen it somewhere before but I can't remember where. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Here it is on two volumetric pipettes. It seems to be only on the cheaper, Chinese-made stuff.

cmc glassware.jpg - 444kB
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 21:50

Maybe it's short for "Chinese made crap"

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 16-10-2014 at 22:41

Do not disrespect China out of hand as an overall poor quality source.

They can make orbital spacecraft and thermonuclear weapons. They will also produce as cheap a product as you may demand, or allow.

A Chinese acquaintance stated it thus: "quality control is the BUYER'S responsibility"

I will be there for 10 days shortly... The food is AWESOME .

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2014 at 00:32

Boy, I wish I was you. I would love to visit China.
sbreheny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2014 at 05:34

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Do not disrespect China out of hand as an overall poor quality source.

They can make orbital spacecraft and thermonuclear weapons. They will also produce as cheap a product as you may demand, or allow.

A Chinese acquaintance stated it thus: "quality control is the BUYER'S responsibility"

I will be there for 10 days shortly... The food is AWESOME .

I agree that the Chinese are an intelligent, resourceful people who are capable of making high quality equipment. They are also very good at producing things as inexpensively as possible, even at the cost of low quality. In other words, there are many Chinese manufacturers who produce the absolute crappiest goods which you will still accept. For a huge set of complex reasons, this tends not to be the case for goods made in the US or Europe - although there are certainly crappy things made there occasionally, too, but not as frequently.

This does NOT mean that I think that Chinese people are somehow "lesser" then westerners. As I said, it is for a complex set of reasons involving world trade, politics, cultural tendencies, etc.

All-in-all, the probability of a piece of glassware being of high quality is lower, I would say, if it is made in China as opposed to the US or Germany. I'm sure you can get high quality glassware from China, though.

Also, in my comment, "cheaper" and "Chinese" were meant as separate qualifiers, meaning that I've only seen this mark on things which are BOTH from China AND cheaply made.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2014 at 19:08

i bought a ceramic hole cutter bit for .99 cents from china and it out lasted 4 popular(very ,very popular) american brand bits.i was totally blown away because the famous american brands cost more than 9 dllrs a pc. i remember laughing at a toyota corolla back in the early 70's too.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-10-2014 at 21:33

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
Maybe it's short for "Chinese made crap"
Ha! I was thinking that exactly, just before I scrolled down and read your post.

None of the glassware that I have has that mark, not even the "Chinese Made Crap," but with that picture of the pipettes, I'm thinking that I probably saw it on a pipette at school.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top