Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purity of toluene
Duster
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2005 at 08:52
Purity of toluene

I have been looking everywhere for toluene... I havent gone to Ace yet, though I will today... However, I did pick up a can of "Lacquer Thinner" that contains toluene.

The catch is, after reading the entire back label, it said this:

"Contains: Petroleum Distillate, Methonol, Toluene, Acetone, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Propylene Glycol, Monomethyl Ether Acetate, Ethyl Acetate and Xylene"

So basically I have no idea the purity of this. In fact, I dont know if this is supposed to have any reasonable purity of anything! So any way I can purify? Though I suppose I should just look for a can strictly labeled "Toluene" I suppose...

Duster
Blackout
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-5-2005 at 09:00

mine contains just toluene and methyl alcohol!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 27-5-2005 at 09:11

.... usually the ingredients listing is in order of the amount present. Your mixture is not something that I would want to attempt to purify, the variability of azeotropes and closeness of boiling points of some of the chemicals would make it a pain in the butt. Carefull fractioning would be the only possibility I see unless you can do large scale gas chromatography.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Duster
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-5-2005 at 14:56

I think I'll just look around, or bu it online...

Duster
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 27-5-2005 at 21:15

When doing my first preflight (on a Piper Cherokee) I remarked to the instructor that the gasoline (100LL) smells a lot like lacquer thinner, he said yep that's pretty much it, you could fill up the tank with it [lacquer thinner] but it would be a bit more expensive (despite 100LL being $2.50/gallon at the time!).

Just get some Goof-off or something, IIRC that's pretty much toluene. AFAIK, most hardware or paint stores carry straight toluene in tins too, right next to the acetone and denatured alcohol.

Tim
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
prole
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 12:13
OTC Toluene

I don't know where you are, but in my area (Motown), it is available at most any local hardware, sold as "100% pure". The 'big orange' hardware store has stopped carrying it for some reason, but a check around various other smaller chains revealed an abundant supply.
Not knowing how pure it really was, I ran it through a simple distillation. I charged the flask with 600 ml Toluene, filtering it first, and collected 500 mL toluene (bp 110-111 C). Remaining in the stillpot was about 100mL of a slightly golden-hued liquid and some undissolved particulate matter. I've read that OTC solvents may contain a rust-inhibitor (perhaps the golden colour), but what are the particles? My glass was pre-rinsed and dry prior to charging it, and the toluene was filtered (coffee filter), prior to charging the flask. But my collected toluene was clear and colourless, with no particles. So now I always distill my OTC solvents to ensure optimum purity.
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 17:45

--------quote----------------------------------
When doing my first preflight (on a Piper Cherokee) I remarked to the instructor that the gasoline (100LL) smells a lot like lacquer thinner
--------quote----------------------------------
100 low lead avgas used to be predominantly 2,2,4-Trimethylpentane (isooctane) directly distilled from certain crude stocks, with a little tetraethyl lead.
Now days it is a reformed product by alkylation of a greater fraction of most any crude stock. Sometimes toluene is added as an antiknock additive but in small amounts. I can’t imagine you could smell it over the butane or isopentane but anything is possible. I don’t think distilling avgas would be a particularly good source of toluene.

Go To Top