Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9
Author: Subject: Slow high torque electric motors for stirrer?
Varmint
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 19:01

Looks like pin 5 of the 555 is grounded, it should go to ground through a capacitor, I think you said you had a 0.022uF. Beyond that, I can't see enough in the critical area around pins 6 and 7, and which wires go to the pot.

You should be able to revisit any of the 555 websites, find the astable configuration, and set it up exactly as you see it there.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 20:20

Yes! That was the problem. From pin 5 I had the 0.022µF cap connected to ground but I also had a wire going from pin 5 directly to ground. Once that wire was removed it performed as before. Thank you very much. Varmint! :D

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 21:15

My stepper motor stirrer assembly is nearly complete. I now have the driver circuit board mounted in an enclosure and a 6' long cable wired to it. The cable is a 4-wire, 22 gauge, security cable available from Home Depot by the foot. All wire connections have been shrink-wrapped to protect them from corrosive atmospheres. The 4-wire plug connection to the motor is as yet unprotected as I am not sure how best to seal this. I have thought of applying silicone caulk. What do forum members recommend?

I have a digital tachometer with LED display on its way from China on a slow boat. When this is all assembled I will post a picture of the finished product.

I found a nice picture of the inside of a bipolar stepper motor on the pololu site, as shown below. My understanding is that there are 2 stator electrical winding phases, one represented by the black-green wire pair and the other by the red-blue wire pair. Each phase contains four electromagnets, alternating around the circumference. Every pulse of the 555 timer triggers the driver to pulse one of the two phases, alternately. The electromagnets also alternate in sense, ie, north and south, by the driver changing the current direction.

There are 50 teeth on the front permanent magnet (PM) of the rotor and 50 teeth on the back PM of the rotor (can't really see the back teeth in the picture). These two magnets are of opposite, sense, ie, a north pole and a south pole, and their teeth are staggered with respect to each other.

The number of steps S of this motor per revolution equals the number of phases φ times the number of teeth, T. So,

S = φT = 2 x 50 x 2 = 200

Therefore, each pulse turns the rotor 1/200th of a revolution, or 1.8°.

Varmint, please correct me if I have made any errors.

bipolar stepper motor.jpg - 111kB

[Edited on 30-12-2014 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 22:44

today at the thrift store i found an 110V AC rotisserie spit turner motor for $4.99. it is really strong but very slow, just under one RPM. could this be of any use as an overhead mixer? i have not yet needed an overhead mixer, so i dont really know if such a slow mixer would be useless.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 22:49

Magpie I believe you're understanding of stepper motors is correct :). This project is awesome and I am impressed with your driver circuit. Do any of your IC's get hot after prolonged useage?

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 22:59

I just wanted to chime in, and shake everyone hand for sharing this project.
This is something that benefits the entire community in all the right ways. If I have to make up a deserted island "guest book" I would also have to include you fellas.:D

Thank you for sharing all of this.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 07:18

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
Do any of your IC's get hot after prolonged useage?

I have not detected any overheating, however, I have not actually put the stirrer to use yet. I don't believe the 555 timer is vulnerable to overheating. The IC on the driver board comes with a heat sink.

I received the tachometer from China yesterday. I am planning to post pictures of the complete project along with itemized costs sometime later today.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 16:03

I completed the assembly of my stepper motor stirrer today. As indicated by the digital tachometer the available stirring speeds are 21 to 213 rpm. It has a 6ft cable so that I can keep the power supply and driver electronics well out of my hood when using the stirrer. Shown below are some pictures taken during final assembly. Also attached are the itemized costs, which totaled $64.36. I did hire some machinist labor to help me mount the motor on the aluminum slab and attach the carriage bolt. This cost is not included on the Excel spreadsheet.

I had a lot of fun learning about stepper motors and how to use one for an overhead stirrer. With a more powerful motor and a larger power supply voltage increased speed and torque would surely be possible. If you have any questions I will be glad to try and answer them.

components on perf board.jpg - 124kB
components on perf board

tachometer in operation.jpg - 118kB
tachometer in operation

stepper stirrer final assembly.jpg - 117kB
stepper stirrer final assembly

Attachment: Stepper Motor Stirrer Costs.xls (24kB)
This file has been downloaded 474 times

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 18:23

Spectacular thread.

You can still fancy this up some using a "project box".
Something cheap from Ebay to stuff it all into. I'm attaching a pict of a boiler controller (distillation) I built using an Alarm Box I bought for 19.00USD/free shipping. Just to show the point... These are pre completion.

Great build Sir!

140408_008.jpg - 192kB140408_009.jpg - 187kB

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 15-10-2017 at 05:40

I have decided to upgrade my stepper motor mixer using a huge motor: Oriental Motor's PKP296D45AA, with 85mm frame. To drive this I have a a4988 driver, Polulo CVD245BR-K . This will be supplied with a regulated 24vdc.

I need to provide a pulse. What I'm planning to use is a 555 astable timer circuit. The pot R1 will be 100KΩ, R2=1KΩ, C1=0.22µF, and the capacitor from pin 5 to ground = 0.022µF. VCC will be 6vdc. This is the same timer circuit I have in use for my small stepper motor mixer.

Please comment on my choice of timer circuit.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 15-10-2017 at 15:15

The 555 timer circuit that I have used for years does not work anymore. I have been troubleshooting all day with no success.I have done the following:

1 Replaced the 555 IC twice.
2. Confirmed the values of R1 and R2.
3. Rewired the 555 IC portion of the circuit.
4. VCC voltage of 6vdc confirmed.

Any help to fix this circuit will be highly appreciated.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 16-10-2017 at 05:56

While it's kind of a cop-out answer, at $6 each, I just use an Arduino whenever I need to do anything even slightly complicated. The main thing that's nice about them is that if you want to change just about anything, or add some needlessly-elaborate feature, it's super easy. And of course, type in just about any circuit and the word "arduino" and it's virtually assured that something will come up, with really easy instructions:

http://howtomechatronics.com/tutorials/arduino/how-to-contro...

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 16-10-2017 at 10:33

Thanks for the suggestion, Melgar. I had no idea Arduinos were so cheap.

I have sent for components to make a circuit that will test a 555 timer IC.

I am contacting the electronics instructor at my local college for help.

carrant
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-12-2017 at 17:11

Thanks to all who posted regarding building an overhead stirrer!

I built an overhead stirrer using an Arduino Nano, DRV8825 (w/ heatsink), NEMA 17, and a relay for the fan.

Basic operation -
Rotary encoder to increase/decrease speed.
Rotary encoder button
* single click - change rotation direction
* double click - turn fan on/off
* hold button - idle the motor and reset the runtime clock

If the internal temp of the box exceeds 55C (131F) then the fan is forced on until the temp drops below a threshold 35C (95F). I'm not sure of the high/low temps yet, but my garage in a Texas Summer is well over 100F.

Here is a link to a short video of it
https://youtu.be/tjacD4AK9Ro

Here is a link to the Arduino source
https://github.com/carrant/overheadstirrer/tree/master

Parts list
Local stores (In Dallas, Texas, USA: BGMicro, Tanner Electronics, Microcenter, Home Depot)
* Arduino Nano
* Project box
* 100uF caps
* 100nF caps
* 27K resistors
* 12V power supply
* 12V 40mm fan
* standoff, screw, nuts
* hookup wires
* jumper wires
* grommets
* NEMA 17 12V stepper
* 1/2" x 36" AL rod https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-x-36-in-Aluminum...
* Electrical brackets

Online orders
* perfboard https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-5cm-x-7cm-PCB-Prototyping-Per...
* 16x2 LCD https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Blue-IIC-I2C-TWI-1602-16x2-Seri...
* rotary encoder https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-12mm-Rotary-Encoder-Push-Butt...
* solid state relay 1ch https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-DC-1-Channel-Solid-State-Relay-B...
* drv8825 https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-DRV8825-3D-PRINTER-STEPPER-MO...
* DHT11 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-Arduino-DHT11-Temperature-and-...
* NEMA 17 bracket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NWWB7Z/ref=oh_aui_deta...
* 5mm to 7mm shaft coupler https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9WF7BG/ref=oh_aui_deta...

Issues -
Reading the DHT11 temp sensor is troublesome. If interrupts are disable while reading the DHT11, the stepper timer will miss resulting in jitter. If interrupts are not disabled the DHT11 read will likely timeout. I tried to read it in the ISR which works slightly better but is still problematic. I also tried a DHT11 lib that uses an ISR for reading but did not have any improvement.

The rotary encoder's button is awkward to click. I suspect the case is a bit too thick, or the rotary encoder's quality isn't great.
GrayGhost-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-12-2017 at 13:57

Im use a chip chinese type Dremmel, with stainles steel like agitator, and variable speed incorporated, for minor speed use in serie a lamp type Edison (incandescent) 40 or 60 W and work fine.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 30-12-2017 at 14:55

Quote: Originally posted by GrayGhost-  
Im use a chip chinese type Dremmel, with stainles steel like agitator, and variable speed incorporated, for minor speed use in serie a lamp type Edison (incandescent) 40 or 60 W and work fine.

I like this. But do you have sufficient torque to drive a 2.5cm agitator blade at 700 rpm? This would be needed to suspend iron fines for a making an amine from nitrobenzene. Also other reactions need this amount of torque. Also it must be capable of running continuously in some cases.

[Edited on 30-12-2017 by Magpie]

GrayGhost-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-12-2017 at 16:40

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

I like this. But do you have sufficient torque to drive a 2.5cm agitator blade at 700 rpm? This would be needed to suspend iron fines for a making an amine from nitrobenzene. Also other reactions need this amount of torque. Also it must be capable of running continuously in some cases.

[Edited on 30-12-2017 by Magpie]

Nop, my agitator is wire, but running several hours. For more torque im thinking in use washing machine motor.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 31-12-2017 at 10:53

For more torque im thinking in use washing machine motor.

That sounds like huge overkill for motor size. Also, how would you control the speed?

I recommend a stepper motor. Even NEMA 17 has mucho torque. You do have to provide electronics for power and speed control, however.

GrayGhost-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-12-2017 at 15:48

For more torque im thinking in use washing machine motor.

That sounds like huge overkill for motor size. Also, how would you control the speed?

I recommend a stepper motor. Even NEMA 17 has mucho torque. You do have to provide electronics for power and speed control, however.

Well is a future project, motor have to speed, 300 and 2800 rpm, I thinking use 300 rpm with mechanical reduction ( ghetto system) bycicle parts.

I have many adversities, i am poor, i am Marrieddddd, i am sudamerican and i am alone with my ideas and projects, and for last i am blacksmith, no professional chemist. But i happy for make essay and experiments .

Thank you for you interest.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 13:20

diddi, aga, varmint, et al,

I have purchased a Zyltech NEMA 23 stepper motor with Toshiba TB6600HG driver. Could someone please tell me how to connect the two. I have attached a scan of the terminal configurations.

Attachment: Scan.pdf (185kB)
This file has been downloaded 363 times

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 15-1-2018 at 12:17

Zyltech has provided a wiring diagram. However, I don't have a "breakout board," as such to provide the needed pulses. In the past I have used a 555 timer circuit.

The Zyltech breakout board has three wires coming from it that connect to the driver. They are labeled DIR, STEP, and +5V. These go to DIR-(DIR), PUL, and PUL+(+5V), respectively. The +5V wire also goes to DIR = (+5V) on the driver.

Can anyone provide me with a 555 timer circuit diagram?

Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 15-1-2018 at 16:15

Something like this? I'm guessing, based on the pin labels, that the driver has opt-couplers on the inputs. The series resistors Ive shown may not be needed, they may already be internal to the driver. 1k should be enough to limit the optocoupler current.

I'll leave it to you to work out the timing components on the 555.

I'm assuming EN has to be active to get anything to happen. The switch will let you change direction of rotation.

IMG_20180116_130837072.jpg - 1.1MB

Argh - left off pin 4 of the 555 - connect it to +5V.

[Edited on 16-1-2018 by Twospoons]

[Edited on 16-1-2018 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 16-1-2018 at 15:57

Thank you very much, Twospoons. I will be getting back to you as soon as I can (next day or two). Zyltech (a Chinese Co) is not giving much support.

Phosgenetimemachine
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-1-2018 at 02:59
slow,high torque....

Ice maker in standard home freezer
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 13:41

Thank you very much, Twospoons. I will be getting back to you as soon as I can (next day or two). Zyltech (a Chinese Co) is not giving much support.

Based on your schematic I created a wiring diagram for my situation (see attached file.) I wired up the components and tried it out. It didn't work.

Please (anyone) provide recommendations to correct my wiring diagram.

Schematic for Wiring Timer & Driver to Stepper Motor.jpg - 292kB

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9

Go To Top