Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9
Author: Subject: Slow high torque electric motors for stirrer?
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 16:46

You seem to have the 6600 wired up wrong. Inputs connected as output. Outputs connected as power supply input. You have several power supply connections not connected.

If you have a battery supply and a mains supply you have to be carfull not to put signals into unpowered devices or at incorrect voltages relative to its supply vontage.

I suggest you look at an application note for the 6600 and look at a typical wiring diagram. You need to pay more attention the power supply connections and which are inputs and which are outputs. Its all in the application note.

It may help if you draw your wiring diagram in less of a bird nest. Put arrows on the signal wires to indicate the signal flow.
Put arrows on pairs of wires like the drive connection to the motor to indicate the power flow. Try to arrange the functional blocks with say inputs on the left and the ouputs on the right. That will help you in understanding what is going on.

You probably need to find a tried and tested diagram and use that.

[Edited on 28-1-2018 by wg48]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 18:50

Thanks so much for your help, I am really getting desperate.

Quote: Originally posted by wg48  

I suggest you look at an application note for the 6600 and look at a typical wiring diagram.

I have tried to get technical help from Zyltech but have had no luck. Where would I find such an application note and typical wiring diagram?

You probably need to find a tried and tested diagram and use that.

If you could provide one or point me to one I would really appreciate that.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2018 at 00:46

You probably have already pissed off Zyltech please don’t attempt to talk to them again as you may put them off trying to help anyone else.

Do you not know how to use Google??? If you don’t perhaps visit your locale library or an internet cafe and ask there or read a book called The Internet for Dummies. Frankly you seem to be way out of your depth or perhaps you want to be spoon fed.

Ok here is a bit of spoon feeding: On the assumption you do know how to use google search for “TB6600 application note”. Read application note in particular the wiring diagram at least three time or more. Identify the function of each connection and attempt to associate them with the connections on your break out board.

I found the following thread when I googled “wiring up the td6600”

forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=381679.0;attach=156278

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 28-1-2018 at 14:00

First of all let me thank you profusely as I think we are well on the way to solving this problem that I have been struggling with for months.

You probably have already pissed off Zyltech please don’t attempt to talk to them again as you may put them off trying to help anyone else.

No, I have only written them once and I have not seen their reply yet. The person really pissed off is me as up until now I have not been able to find a wiring diagram.

Frankly you seem to be way out of your depth or perhaps you want to be spoon fed.

Yes, I am way out of my depth and hence need direction from those experienced in such matters such as yourself. Isn't that what this forum is for?

Attached is my revised wiring diagram for your review and comment. I know it is not completely correct as I had to make some guesses on the hookup to the timer wiring (pulse generator). So, please correct any wiring errors that you see.

mucho gracias,
Don

wiring diagram for stepper motor 1-28-18.jpg - 227kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2018 at 04:08

Out of curiosity I did some more detailed research. I have several stepper motors as they are available from old photocopiers for free. The bigger the photocopier the bigger the motors and incidentally power supplies, lenses, mirrors and a variety mechanical bits.

Apparently what you call a break out board I would call a module. They are available from ebay for as little as £6. Thats good for a dual channel 160W driver. Usually with little or no interface specification. They usually have a common mode isolated inputs ie opto isolated inputs. Hence the two wire + and - inputs for each signal which are powered by the signals and not connected to the power supply of the module.

About your wiring diagram: You now have the inputs of the motor connected to outputs for a motor of the module. Assuming you have the correctly wired one winding to phase A and the second winding to phase B and it is a two phase stepper motor I believe those connections are correct. Its good practice to connect the metal case of the motor to the 0V of the module.

The three signal outputs from the module are
pul - a pulse or edge to increment a step or a fraction of a step (set by the dip switches)
dir - rotation direction
ena - enable or operate

You probably have these incorrectly connected as you have all three connected to the pulses from the 555. I strongly suspect that will confuse the module.

Connect the –dir and – ena and –pul to the 0v of the 5v supply of the 555.

Connect the output of the 555 (pin 3 I think) to +pul of the module. The inline 1k may be required.

Connect the +dir and +en to the +5V of the 555. An inline 1k may be required but I suspect not. Consult the interface spec for module if possible likely not apparently.

The +ena could be connected via a switch ie off/on and you will need a 5V power supply for the 555

Did you make any attempt to understand what the pul, dir and ena signals do or draw a readable diagram the right way up? Do you think your 555 was internally powered by micro over unity device? (rhetorical questions)

That ends my spoon feeding. Yes you can ask for help but put more effort in to helping yourself first.

I suggest you try to confirm my advice and double check your wiring prior to power up. To use a flying term you are responsible for your own seperation.

Edit: I should add that I have made assumptions about your module’s input interface Apparently opto coupled inputs are not universal. I have assumed they are.
You need to check the spec if available.

You can also check using an ohm meter that all three inputs (both the + and - are isolated from the other signal pairs and the 0V of the module power supply.

t-inter-2.jpg - 7kB

[Edited on 29-1-2018 by wg48]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 29-1-2018 at 18:01

wg48,

Attached is rev 3 of my wiring diagram. I think you will find it readable. The terminations for the 555 timer are an amalgam of direction you have given and successful connections I have used in the past for a stepper motor. Please give corrections if you think it is inappropriate.

I don't plan to power up until you have approved the diagram.

Don

wiring for stepper motor 1-29-18.jpg - 253kB

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 02:41

The connections to the module appear correct except for that you have a 1k in series with only one input signal. Its improbable that the inputs to the module do not have identical characteristics so you need series resistors on all three or none at all.

I assume you have been unable to determine if the 1ks are needed or not. Perhaps if you examine the board inside the module you may be able to see resistors on the board near the inputs and confirm their connection to the inputs with your ohm meter. (see the last diagram I posted.) If there are no such resistors its probable that no resistor is needed on any of the inputs, if the 555 is operating on a 5v supply. More importantly it may not work with 1k.

Hopefully you have performed the tests I suggested on the inputs in the absence of other information.

My suggestions for drawing the diagram were not so much to help my reading it but to help you not make mistakes like connecting motors inputs to module inputs.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 12:19

Every time you redraw the 555 timer it seems to be different - and not quite right.
Refer to this: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/555_oscillato...

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 12:54

The connections to the module appear correct except for that you have a 1k in series with only one input signal. Its improbable that the inputs to the module do not have identical characteristics so you need series resistors on all three or none at all.

I assume you have been unable to determine if the 1ks are needed or not. Perhaps if you examine the board inside the module you may be able to see resistors on the board near the inputs and confirm their connection to the inputs with your ohm meter. (see the last diagram I posted.) If there are no such resistors its probable that no resistor is needed on any of the inputs, if the 555 is operating on a 5v supply. More importantly it may not work with 1k.

Hopefully you have performed the tests I suggested on the inputs in the absence of other information.

My suggestions for drawing the diagram were not so much to help my reading it but to help you not make mistakes like connecting motors inputs to module inputs.

Oops!!! The comments about the resistors should read:
if there are no resistors on the board then series resistors will be required in the signals lines.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 16:02

Here is Rev 4 for your review and comments. I popped the hood on the module and saw no resistors. I added R1 (1KΩ) so now each input has a resistor.

Thanks, twospoons, for the link to the astable oscillator diagram. I incorporated this in Rev 4.

I should mention that diddi and varmint contributed greatly to my first stepper motor wiring diagrams for an overhead mixer.

Please review and comment.

stepper motor wiring diagram rev 4 1-30-18.jpg - 258kB

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2018 at 03:25

No you have not added a resistor to each signal input and the resistor you did add appears shorted out !!!

The following is a corrected diagram. The red squiggles are resistors. I removed the incorrect connection between pins 4 and 7 and your R1.

I do not know if 1ks are the correct value to drive your module with sufficent current.

I have not checked the rest of the 555 circuit as it was not visible on your diagram.

ggg.jpg - 199kB

PS you will have to add a switch to disconnect the battery or the battery will go flat when not in use.

[Edited on 31-1-2018 by wg48]
Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2018 at 14:24

Once again the 555 diagram is not quite right. You are showing a direct connection from pin 4 to pin 7 - remove it or you will blow the chip, as pin 4 is also connected to the + supply! I strongly recommend you copy the diagram from the link I sent you verbatim. Chips do not have to be drawn with the pin order as it is on the physical device - and in fact are seldom drawn this way as it makes the schematic messy and hard to follow. Connections are never drawn inside chips. Clear and well laid out diagrams are essential in electronic engineering, for clarity of thought and ease of conveying information.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 31-1-2018 at 16:28

Please review and comment on Rev 5, attached. Also please suggest values for C1, R1, R3, R4, and R5.

Please excuse the poor picture quality. My new printer/scanner just went tits up. So I had to do it the old fashion way: take a picture.

Many thanks,
Don

stepper control wiring diagram rev 5.JPG - 147kB

Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2018 at 18:32

That looks perfect. Now you just need to work out appropriate component values. For the series resistors connected to the driver I think you would be looking at values anywhere from 270 ohms to 1000 ohms. You'll just have to see what works.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 31-1-2018 at 18:38

Thanks, Twospoons. I will wait for wg48 to comment tomorrow morning before powering it up. He will likely have suggestions for the values.

I finally heard from Zyltech. All they did was refer me to somebody's YouTube video. I really doubt if they have anybody competent to deal with on-line questions. OrientalMotor is much better.

Here's a list of components I have on hand:

resistors
4ea 1KΩ
5ea 220Ω
2ea 680Ω

capacitors
1ea 0.022µF
1ea 0.22µF
1ea 10 µF

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by Magpie]

Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 00:57

Things like this are very useful to have.
That way you can pick and choose values on the fly, without having to special order every part.

I have assorted bags of both resistors and capacitors, in both leaded and surface mount varieties.

Zyltech probably know very little about the driver, beyond what is in the datasheet for the driver chip. I'd bet good money they buy in bulk from china somewhere and slap their own label on it. If you want detail, read the TB6600HG datasheet.

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by Twospoons]

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by Twospoons]

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 01:41

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Thanks, Twospoons. I will wait for wg48 to comment tomorrow morning before powering it up. He will likely have suggestions for the values.

I finally heard from Zyltech. All they did was refer me to somebody's YouTube video. I really doubt if they have anybody competent to deal with on-line questions. OrientalMotor is much better.

Here's a list of components I have on hand:

resistors
4ea 1KΩ
5ea 220KΩ
2ea 680KΩ

capacitors
1ea 0.022µF
1ea 0.22µF
1ea 10 µF

The two switches “power on” and “enable” may not be needed (just the power on may work fine) but it will work as shown so Ok great you seen to have the connections correct now.

The required output frequency of the 555 is determined by the mode you select on the dip switches on the 6600 module (from memory) and the minimum and maximum rmp required of the motor and the number of poles of the motor. The minimum pulse width and its polarity is determine by the minimum pulse width requirements of the 6600 and which edge or pulse polarity. is required.. I do not know many of those parameters so I cannot review them.

I suggest you try the ones you have already selected at least to start with.

Best of luck with your first power up

PS;

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by wg48]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 13:02

The values selected for R1, R3, R4, R5, C1, and C2 are 1KΩ, 680Ω, 680Ω, 680Ω, 0.22 µF, and 0.01µF, respectively. The lantern battery is 6vdc. The VCC from the power supply is 12vdc. The circuit did not work.

I rechecked all terminations. I changed out the two capacitors and the 555 chip. Dip switches on the module are set "as received," ie, all up except the 2nd one over from the left. The knife switches were bypassed.

If you have any suggestions to correct this please let me know.

Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 14:26

what sort of test gear do you have? Do you have a meter that reads frequency? If not you could check the 555 output (pin3)by measuring AC volts - you should get 3-6V if it is putting out pulses.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/555-timer-astable-cir... suggests a frequency of 2kHz to 6kHz with your values - which seems reasonable.

Also is the rotor locked on the motor? Can you move it by hand with power applied? If you can move it then the driver is not enabled.

can you post a pic of your construction?

[Edited on 2-2-2018 by Twospoons]

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 16:40

I have a volt-ohm meter but no method for measuring frequency.

There is no voltage at 3 on the 555 chip.

I can turn the rotor by hand.

IMG_2167.JPG - 178kB IMG_2168.JPG - 179kB IMG_2169.JPG - 154kB

edit1: I am setting up a stand alone 555 astable pulse generator. This should help me troubleshoot why my stepper circuit is not generating a pulse.

edit2: Iam getting a voltage at pin 3 as detected with an LED. But, of course I can't detect frequency. But I do have switching diodes that I verified the operation of a 555 once. Would that give frequency?

[Edited on 2-2-2018 by Magpie]

[Edited on 2-2-2018 by Magpie]

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 18:26

Top hot rail to field? A38 --> 5V or A35 --> 5V , I would have thought perhaps.

555Pin 3 should be a straight shot to pul+ controller (6th from right in picture) but it ties into what looks like ground (seeing as how 555Pin 1 is connected) as well as 555Pin 5 via ceramic cap right on breadboard.

[Edited on 2-2-2018 by violet sin]

Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 20:55

Looks like you have pin 3 connected to ground (yellow wire) and to the end of the cap on pin 5 (grey wire). There's a real possibility your 555 is dead as a result.
Also I can't see where +6V is connected to pins 8/4 - there appears to be no link to +6V.
Your driver clearly isn't running either because the rotor is not locked and there is no current draw on the ammeter of the power supply.

With every breadboard I've encountered the side rails are continuous along the whole length, and there is no need for all the little jumpers. Yours may be the oddball, of course. Easy to check with a meter.

[Edited on 2-2-2018 by Twospoons]

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 17:28

I have completely rewired for clarity. I have replaced the 555. The 6vdc rail is the top most rail. The next one down is the ground rail. It is continued at the bottom of the breadboard.

The pulse generator is still not running and the rotor is free.

my stand alone pulse generator was working as evidenced by an LED. Now, for some weird reason it has stopped working. I am going to continue to troubleshoot this.

One problem I have is that the local Radioshack closed. I would like to buy some LEDs in case I blew the one that was working.

I will post pictures as soon as my camera battery is charged.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 18:24

Here's the photos:

stepper wiring ass'y.JPG - 180kB stepper wiring 555 closeup.JPG - 159kB stepper wiring, real closeup.JPG - 154kB

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 22:36

Hot 6v rail comes in on brown to meet with yellow ( --> pin 8) and the resistor. But also on pin 8 is brown --> green --> green --> ground... Aka it goes 6v to ground.

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9

Go To Top