Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What do to with KMnO4?
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 11:53
What do to with KMnO4?

What do to with KMnO4?

I just bough 2,27kg (5lbs) of KMnO4 for 36$CAD and I was wondering what to do with it since i'm away from my lab righ now and have only aces to comon household regeant (like Pickle ;)) and I was wondering if any of you had any idea of what i could oxidise that would be fun?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 12:50

96% ethanol to make very concentrated acetic acid (although better ways exist..) and you can make flash with KMnO4 ;)

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 13:08

Got any glycerin, and thermite?

Concentrated sulfuric acid and the slightest bit of organics?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 13:36

I agree with 12AX7, KMnO4+glycerin or make Mn2O7, you can spend hours dribbling it onto kleenex. :D.

I imagine you could make some sort of pyrotechnic composition with KMnO4 and charcoal.

hinz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 13:36

Make Mn2O7.
Should be a nice stuff, detonates or burns in contact with organic material.
Mix KMnO4 with conc. H2SO4 and you'll get dimanganese heptoxide as an oily stuff on the bottom. (brauer's "Preparative inorganic chemistry" has a more exact synthesis)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 14:18

Brauer has a very good synth or Mn2O7, it gets you the pure liquid Mn2O7, not what we get by simply mixing KMnO4 and H2SO4 in a beaker, a solution of it in sulphuric acid with lots of K2SO4 contamination with a little pure liquid on top. It requires a mortar and pestle that I think is wrecked after the synth as a step involves squeezing out the Mn2O7 from the walls of the mortar with the pestle. :P I plan on trying this method once I get a cheap mortar and pestle that I can afford to loose, the one I have now is expensive. I believe Ikea has some cheap ones...

Oh and Hinz, the pure Mn2O7 floats on top of the Mn2O7/sulphuric acid solution, not on the bottom

[Edited on 3-8-2005 by rogue chemist]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 16:35

Reactions of KMnO4 with propylene glycol, ethylene glycol, acetaldehyde, ethanol, acetone, IPA, glyoxal, glycolic aldehyde, lactic, pyruvic, glycolic, and glyoxylic acids. In 7 JACS articles published between 1912 and 1923. This is what I have on hand, so I don't know what else is out there.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3629531/jacs.rar.html

[whine-negavibes]Attempted to follow solo's lead today by posting some chemistry more intelligent than the status quo at tards-forum. I spend about 10 minutes a week there. I was immediately called bullshit upon, with a moderator spewing drivel and minutes later the thread was locked so that I could not reply. Guess that is how they like it there, and how they want it to stay. I expected no less, just like my posts being edited and re-edited by moderators at synthetikal, and my posts disappearing at RS.[/whine-negavibes] All of the somewhat chemistry-related forums other than this one are in a sorry state, for whatever reason.

Ask yourself, what could I do to help sciencemadness.org remain the best site on the internet, and make it even better? Why you? Who then?

In changing my sig today from the mystery rapidshare file "tgmwttpc.rar", and checking the stats, I think that I had better explain this to those of you who downloaded this large file. I uploaded that on my last post in the books thread just for hahas. Because I wanted to see if this would get more downloads than some of the chemistry textbooks that I scanned.
Figures. Still active. Unlike the literature.
Why not an mp3 inside it? Why not that one? It was an impulsive choice. It's not like you've heard this version on the radio before, or ever will. Well yeah, I don't hear any Captain Beefheart or Aphex Twin on the radio either, but that's a good thing IMHO. This was a literally a career-ending song/vision, and this live version has better tone than the single. Not many bands were playing dark, metallish songs like that in Feb. 1970, and certainly not to an American audience who came to hear the otherwise-bluesish set. Wish JP did more FM covers, it could be really funny.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
moose sniffer
Harmless

Mood: hungry

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 17:02

you could drink it and see whatn happens

Edit by Chemoleo: Stop posting crap please. In the future you won't be reading this, the delete button will do the job instead!

[Edited on 4-8-2005 by chemoleo]
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 17:10

You go first.:P

Could permanganate be reduced to manganate? That would make for a very interesting color change.
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 17:34

"not what we get by simply mixing KMnO4 and H2SO4 in a beaker, a solution of it in sulphuric acid with lots of K2SO4 contamination "

I agree with this, I ground my KMnO4 into a very fine powder and still got crapy yields. I was thinking that maybe you could make a super saturated solution of KMnO4 and add that to your H2SO4. I'm going to try

N/A
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 17:59

Yes the heptoxide is quite a bit of fun, even more fun than digesting a whole sausage in peroxysulfuric ( funny story behind that one :P ).

If you could get hold of some magnesium and sulfur powder, it makes for some interesting flashes when combined with the permanganate.

On a side note, a concentrated soln of NaOH and some permanganate (determine the amount empirically) works excellently for cleaning stuck on organics, it even changes color so that you know it is working.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 18:45

thx, for the info, i'll try some to see.
First test: it burn pickle (turn then black/brown) :P

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 19:05
HCl

Numerous household products have Hydrochloric acid in various strengths and purity levels. If you have access to any of these products you could generate copious chlorine gas. If this gas is dry then mildly heated brass will ignite creating some neat zinc chloride smoke!:cool:

Fellow molecular manipulator
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 09:03

Would it be impertinent of me to suggest a merger between this thread and this thread?

:)

sparky (~_~)

P.S. Yeah, glycerol and permanganate... :D mmm...

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 09:22

Quote:

Could permanganate be reduced to manganate? That would make for a very interesting color change

Mix the permanganate in a solution of NaOH. Then add any organic stuff to it and it will turn green (manganate). After a while it will further be reduced to MnO2.
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 18:49

You could make ammonium permanganate, NH4MnO4, which explodes easily, and should produce a very thick cloud of black smoke as well.

2NH4MnO4 --> 2MnO2 + 4H2O + N2 + 565kcal/kg
Vod 1700m/s
Lead block 100-125cm3

Synthesis is simple (from the Encyclodpedia of explosives):
40g KMnO4 is dissolved in 400mL boiling water, 110g NH4Cl is added, and the hot solution is immediatly filtered through a sintered glass funnel (to remove Mn oxides) into a container placed in a cooling mixture. The crystals were recrystalized twice from hot water in the same manner.

Might want to use non-organic filter paper for this...:D

Explodes on heating to 70*C and maintaining that temperature for 250 minutes. No definate data on sensitivity but "it is likely to explode when rubbed".
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 02:37

Use it to test for unsaturation inside organic substances.

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
saps
Hazard to Self

Mood: disgruntled

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 09:40

when potassium permanganate is heated up does it heleased toxic gasses or anything bad??
saps
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 10:01

I've inhaled it before:(
praseodym
Hazard to Others

Mood: crazy

[*] posted on 13-8-2005 at 02:45

If it is only potassium permanganate, there shouldnt be any toxic gases when you heat up potassium permanganate. Potassium permanganate, a purple crystalline solid, forms a black powder consisting of a mixture of potassium manganate and manganese dioxide and releases oxygen when heated:

2KMnO4 ==> K2MnO4 + MnO2 + O2
saps
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-8-2005 at 06:11

what if i were using it to oxedize glycerin and other things??
saps
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-8-2005 at 06:24

This website: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p6005.htm

says (look at #10) that when decomposing it could release harmfull stuff...at about what tempurature do you suppose it might decompose??
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 13-8-2005 at 10:31

Metal fumes? That sounds like a very high temperature to me. This probably just describes an unlikely worst-case scenario.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 13-8-2005 at 17:51

As always its the worst case scenario in the MSDS...It even says KMnO4 can explode from meachnical shock. Only real danger I can think of from KMnO4/glycerin reaction, apart from the obvious heat, is that at high temps glycerin may form acrolien(sp?).

Lambda
National Hazard

Mood: Euforic Online

[*] posted on 13-8-2005 at 18:38
Spontaneous combustion of glycerine and Potassium permanganate

If you drop a drip of glycerine on a small pile of fine Potassium permanganate, they will spontaneously ignite after a short delay periode.

Caution: At a low temperature, this may take a long time to occure, so don't make the mistake of thinking that nothing will happen, and throw it away in the trashcan (rubishbin). They will eventually ignite !!!

[Edited on 14-8-2005 by Lambda]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top