Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Showing how to make illegal chemicals?
nb198
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 06:46
Showing how to make illegal chemicals?

Hello,

I have a Youtube channel where I like to show some chemistry stuff. For one video, I wanted to show how meth was made. I just want to show how easy and it is and how it is no different than many other chemistry reactions.

However, I wouldn't make meth, I would use a different chemicals, but use the same reduction chemicals and workup. I would state this explicitly in the video. I kind of just want to show how it is made. I would exclude quantities of any chemicals and maybe not even be vague with some of the chemicals used. Such as saying "acid was added" and not say which acid.

Would this be legal? Or am I just asking for the police to come knocking at my door?
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 08:35

*knock*knock*knock*

It isn't even a good idea to fake a video like this without outside reputable people monitoring the process so that if the police do come knocking you have good records of exactly what was used and how it wasn't really meth. This is going to require an outside chemist contractor and a lawyer at minimum.

In general I would say this is a bad idea.
Breaking bad had plenty of this.
So you aren't doing anything new.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 09:02

YouTube will take it down as a violation of their terms of service/community guidelines.

There are also serious legal implications that can be wrung from this.

I would not.

Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 09:20

Yep, you should avoid making anything related to illegal drugs.

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:32

I suppose the question is, "Is it OK to publish information on how to make illegal drugs, if I'm not really making them?" Few people's lives can stand up to close scrutiny. It is generally wise not to invite unwanted attention for no reason. Someone checking you out might find that leftover joint that a friend of yours stowed in your car without you knowing. Or that illegal handgun in your closet. Or those prescription antibiotics that don't belong to you. Regardless of what you're doing, there's bound to be a law against something that you're doing.

So what is the point of doing this, again?
forgotpassword
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 11:12

Do it, post it anonymously if your heart is intent on doing it.
Use TOR to post it.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 13:29

How about you don't as there are already far too many people ruining our home chemistry hobby as it is?

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 14:42

Seriously noobie198. This has to be the dumbest idea ever. What good could possibly come of it?
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 14:58

I am under the impression that it isn't illegal but it wouldn't be worth the consequences. I believe that it has use as an educational video, to understand the chemical reactions etc.

It seems like an overwhelmingly good idea to not make a video.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 15:47

This is not illegal. If you're genuinely clean, nothing will come of some idiot knocking on your door to say "oh hey, I saw your youtube video and just wanted to make sure you didn't by any chance make real meth and post it online." Nothing but hassle, anyway. (I can see why you'd want to avoid hassle.)

If I were to do this, I wouldn't obscure names of chemicals or what's happening. It's unprofessional and looks shady. I wouldn't reference meth as clickbait, either. I would name the actual reaction, be specific about what reagents I was using, what structural changes were happening, and what safety hazards were posed. Then either in the introduction or at the close I would mention several uses for the reaction, illicit methamphetamine manufacture probably being among them.

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
How about you don't as there are already far too many people ruining our home chemistry hobby as it is?

There are so many resources for drug cookery out there that the only effect a well-made youtube video will have is to make idiots slightly less likely to kill themselves and/or other people.

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Etaoin Shrdlu]
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 18:25

Quote: Originally posted by Etaoin Shrdlu  
This is not illegal. If you're genuinely clean, nothing will come of some idiot knocking on your door to say "oh hey, I saw your youtube video and just wanted to make sure you didn't by any chance make real meth and post it online." Nothing but hassle, anyway. (I can see why you'd want to avoid hassle.)

If I were to do this, I wouldn't obscure names of chemicals or what's happening. It's unprofessional and looks shady. I wouldn't reference meth as clickbait, either. I would name the actual reaction, be specific about what reagents I was using, what structural changes were happening, and what safety hazards were posed. Then either in the introduction or at the close I would mention several uses for the reaction, illicit methamphetamine manufacture probably being among them.

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  

There are so many resources for drug cookery out there that the only effect a well-made youtube video will have is to make idiots slightly less likely to kill themselves and/or other people.

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Etaoin Shrdlu]

You are absolutely right and that is a good idea. I think I will do that. You make a lot of good suggestions.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 01:35

Quote: Originally posted by Etaoin Shrdlu  

I am going to play Devil's Advocate here in an unsubstantiated manner; since people are inherently lazy, showing a video tutorial on drug cookery may not only enable more individuals who otherwise wouldn't have felt enabled to cook... and their false sense of security from watching a video without understanding safety procedures, side reactions, or performing their own research, will actually endanger more people due to ignorance and recklessness.

Or not. The world may never know.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 04:29

I concede that's possible.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 06:14

It's a tough call... On one hand I want to say it is educational and knowledge should be available to all. On the other hand, it is providing an accurate tutorial on how to make one of the biggest problem drugs in an amateur setting. There are lots of very easy to influence people out there and this video may be the little shove they need to get into the wrong kind of chemistry... Surely there must be other equally interesting syntheses that can be demonstrated? I'm afraid videos like this may do more bad than good.

If somebody wants to learn how to make it they will do it the way all the other before have done. By reading cook forums etc. a video tutorial on YouTube showing how "easy" it is to make meth sounds like a bad idea that could bring harmful ideas into people's minds. Just my 2 cents...
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 07:42

Take a look at this page discussing the Birch reduction:
https://chemtips.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/birch_reduction/

This is the most commonly use reaction for meth production (sayeth the DEA).

The Chemtips page provides a very informative discussion of the reaction, and how to perform it. It would make a great YouTube video. He does not mention its role in meth production.

If you did videos of similar quality to this Chemtips page, and cited its role in meth production as an aside - it is relevant, and anyone conducting this reaction at home in America today had better know about this for their own protection - I don't think any reasonable objection could be raised.
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-11-2014 at 07:42

I wanted to reduce phenylephrine using red P and HI. I found a paper that did it with good success. I xhose phenylephrine because i can easily get it. Maybe ill run a birch too!

I do agree that showing how easy it is will be problematic. I think the best thing to do would be to not mention meth whatsoever. I really dont want to encourage uneducated people to injure themselves.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2014 at 08:32

i would never do a video but would i watch it? of course! i agree with chemosynthesis but i also ran into serious risks trying to look into plating solutions that contained dangerous materials.i used the public library and it seems all the front desk people are tuned to words like cyanide=nazi butchers,nitrates=bombs,hydroxides=how to decompose bodies.my super market manager had a perverted smile on his face as he nodded no when i asked about red devil lye.a video may also teach a person what not to ask or look for and invite trouble or may even make him wiser about using harmful chemicals.i have never been against cooks who consume their products but i hate dealers and sellers,especially those who are not users.warn the viewer that making for commercial use is just plain taking advantage of people.i really dont see anything wrong with YOU making a video because you have a desire to teach but i fear for you though.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 11:36

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
Take a look at this page discussing the Birch reduction:
https://chemtips.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/birch_reduction/

This is the most commonly use reaction for meth production (sayeth the DEA).

The Chemtips page provides a very informative discussion of the reaction, and how to perform it. It would make a great YouTube video. He does not mention its role in meth production.

If you did videos of similar quality to this Chemtips page, and cited its role in meth production as an aside - it is relevant, and anyone conducting this reaction at home in America today had better know about this for their own protection - I don't think any reasonable objection could be raised.

Thanks for the link! Personally two things strike me, Firstly I dont think in the video there is much to be gained talking about drugs, not everyone reading and learning about chemistry has any interest in drugs. For example I am looking into buying or making chloral hydrate.
Those that read this and have no idea why I am here on these boards will think ha he is a drugie, the fact is I want it for staining and mounting mycology slides etc (Melzer's reagent), those that know me will have realized this.

2) Just because a reaction can be used to make something illegal dosnt mean it is, carysub posted a good link, it IMHO hits the right kind of balance. Hiding things dosnt make them go away, as a hobby I think it does it more harm than good to try and hide information, I strongly believe in positive reinforcement, give good advice and details on REACTIONS, by all means like careysub above mention its a common method of X Y Z (I didnt know until I read careysubs post above that was how it was done) but dont dwell too much on those aspects, talk about what its useful for (apart from the obvious).
Not discussing reactions isnt going to stop drugs.
The only things I would ever be against is say a video showing how to take a poppy and purify it into heroin.
In a nutshell if your video is educational focus on education, if its a drug cook video then dont try and hide that, but dont straddle the line between. Confusion is what is killing freedom

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 12:16

From your perspective, weigh up the Good against the Bad outcomes.

What, if anything, do you imagine to Gain by making such a video ?

Is it worth the potential backlash ?

If you weigh it up, and Good > Bad, go for it.

If you calculate that Good > Bad i would suggest asking others the question "what Bad could possibly happen ?".

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 12:39

The worse thing that could happen is you get busted and do 20 years, but even that has some plus points! Your bound to learn more about certain chemistry and reactions like making ethanol from obscure things inside a prison.
as long as your telling the truth and its a reaction vid and not a cook vid then I see no reason to be scared of knocks on the door, if you have half smoked joints etc in ashtrays and get a knock on the door, then maybe doing the video was a bad idea afterall

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 20-11-2014 at 01:56

Let's see a video to show off how you learned to cook meth..that's not only conspiracy to manufacture Class I substances but you also provide irrefutable evidence that you did it. You'd get less time posting a video of you murdering your neighbor. I don't however believe you for a second. Nobody that can type is this dumb.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Bromide
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2014 at 06:52

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Let's see a video to show off how you learned to cook meth..that's not only conspiracy to manufacture Class I substances but you also provide irrefutable evidence that you did it. You'd get less time posting a video of you murdering your neighbor. I don't however believe you for a second. Nobody that can type is this dumb.

"Conspiracy" requires collusion between two or more persons. You cannot conspire with yourself. The category of "attempt," however, is an inchoate crime that one can accomplish all by himself.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 30-12-2014 at 09:49

This doesn't sound like a wise idea. Just because you can doesn't necessarily justify the act of doing it.

It would bring undesirable attention to yourself, and who wants that in this day and age?

Go To Top