Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: a-furfuryl amine salts and derivatives
halogen
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-8-2005 at 05:55
a-furfuryl amine salts and derivatives

After reading the aNNF thread, I started to think about aFA derivatives (salts etc). If one nitrates aFA, the resulting salts would have more power and better OB.
I came up with the following ideas (predictions and ideas):

a-NitroFurfuryl Amine Picrate
- predictably a yellow or reddish cristaline substance. Perhaps it could be melted with AN, but could that result in ammonium picrate and aNFA nitrate or ammonium nitrate and aNFA picrate? Would it matter?

aFA or aNFA perchlorate
-white or clear crystals. Unstable to mechanical shock; not too heat stable either... If aFA perchlorate was added to NaClO3, would the ions exchange? Extract the NaClO4 and....:o

aNFA Trinitrobenzoate
-I dunno... it could decompose evolving CO2 aNFA and TNB... This is bad right? That is to say: not well suited for storage.

Suppose Fufuryl alcohol were reacted with TetraNitroAniline... This yields water and the as of yet unnamed compound. The water could be driven off by heat, or precipitated with cold. Or better yet: Furfural is nitrated with mixed acid (or would the aldehyde group get in the way?...). This is hydrated in vapour phase and THAN reacted with the TetraNA...

Would anyone mind:
a. help predict the properties
b. point out any mistakes I made
c. try to synthesise the above substances
I do not have the materials on hand nor do I expect to any time soon... Also I have not the laboratory expertise you all do. but I would however really love to see what comes of this.
halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-8-2005 at 05:45

Are these really bad ideas or something?
At least point out what I got wrong.
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2005 at 08:58

The aldehyde group will be prone to oxidation if nitrated, and likewise for the amine. If it did survive and still capable of forming salts it would be a nitrate salt after nitration in concentrated HNO3. Thus have to be debased to form the others you mentioned.

Lets assume it were possible for someone to go through considerable effort to get nitrofurfurylamine nitrate the salt still have quite poor oxygen balance, even for the perchlorate, let alone picrate etc.

Even though an anhydrous perchlorate would probably still be reasonably powerful, its competing with more readily available diamines such as ethylenediamine diperchlorate (C2H10N2Cl2O8 -> 2CO2 + 5 H2O + 2 HCl OB=0%) or phenylenediamine diperchlorate (C6H8N2Cl2O8 OB=-36.47%) which approaches 8000m/s.

Its properties/solubilities arn't known so quite a lot of experimentation would be needed to know how to extract etc.. Too much effort for an explosive, that to me, doesn't look to have very attractive properties.
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 29-8-2005 at 13:54

phenylenediamine diperchlorate will be very acidic, if exist (most possibly will not).

Anyline sulphate is almost as acidic as a strong acid and there is no information to be isolated.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2005 at 21:49

Quote:
phenylenediamine diperchlorate will be very acidic, if exist (most possibly will not).

<center><table border="1"><tr><td><font size="1">Diperchlorate</td><td><font size="1">MP</td><td><font size="1">ignition point</td><td><font size="1">sensitivness to shock
(10% work of 1kg)</td><td><font size="1">Pb-block expansion</td><td><font size="1">VOD, 12mm glass tube,
1.1g/cm3</td></tr><tr><td><font size="1">m-phenylenediamine</td><td><font size="1">explodes</td><td><font size="1">350°C</td><td><font size="1">1.06</td><td><font size="1">335</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td><font size="1">p-phenylenediamine</td><td><font size="1">explodes</td><td><font size="1">326°C</td><td><font size="1">1.08</td><td><font size="1">235</td><td><font size="1">7825</td></tr><tr><td><font size="1">ethylenediamine</td><td><font size="1">-</td><td><font size="1">-</td><td><font size="1">-</td><td><font size="1">410</td><td><font size="1">7150 @ 1.67g/cm3</td></tr>
</table>
<font size="1">ref. Urbanski II, pg. 486</font></center>

Possible typo in Pb-block expansion.

[Edited on 30-8-2005 by Axt]

Go To Top