Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why doesn't IPA work as a solvent for Henry reaction?
KidCurry
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2005 at 06:27
Why doesn't IPA work as a solvent for Henry reaction?

Was going to prepare nitrostyrene by base catalysed henry reaction (followed by acid dehydration of the alcohol) and had run out of methanol, but had some isopropanol handy and didn't really think anything about it else than it should work.

What was strange here was that:
1) When the addition of KOH started, thesolution turned to green and something yellowish/orange fell out.
2) The temperature was more or less impossible to keep down.

I actually succeeded to get decent yields ONCE but two other attempts failed and yielded only some polymer funky oil or something. So, what's up here. Am I missin the obvious? Does KOH/NaOH react with IPA? It just bugs me out not to know what happened, at first I thought it just was dirty glassware and that something else interferred but it obviously was not the case.

Help me out! :D
flyingbanana
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-8-2005 at 14:15

i think IPA should work as long as the solubilities are kept in check some way or another, i've read some procedures that use it (not sure about the yields though) so without further analysis i have no idea what happened

but on a side note, if you can't get IPA to work, you can just try using an excess of nitroalkane as solvent, it's been done

Go To Top