Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electroplating platinum
Reverend Necroticus Rex
Hazard to Others

Mood: Poisonous

[*] posted on 28-8-2005 at 17:50
Electroplating platinum

I have been attempting to prepare a platinum plated carbon electrode for use in some organic electrochemistry, using Pt metal (as foil) and a graphite electrode.

I tried first, to prepare hexachloroplatinic acid by electrolysis of small pieces of Pt in a few ml. HCl, which seemingly failed, as I could plate neither a copper wire strand, or the electrode.

I also tried dissolving Pt in hot aq. NaOH in the hope that it would form a platinate salt capable of being used in a plating bath.

Has anyone had success with electroplating of Pt onto carbon? I UTFSE for platinum electroplating, but came up with no results.

I thought of doing it in aqua regia, but I haven't any nitric acid with which to prepare it, and distillation from a nitrate isn't practical for me at the moment, as I have no dedicated lab space:(

The sun is shining on a brand new day
Blackened corpses burn where they were slain
Self-flagellation prompts him to confess, Bless me father, for I made this mess.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 28-8-2005 at 18:01

AC electrolysis of platinum in HCl is supposedly the way to dissolve it, axehandle attempted to do this with two pieces of platinum wire, but I don't know if he ever suceeded, he has a little section on his site relating to it and a thread here, actually after looking it up it appears to have worked.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top