Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Operation Cat Army
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 16:48
Operation Cat Army

I'm going to let you decide my fate.

I am looking for a new substence to synthesize. As I would like you all to help me come up with my next project there are a few rules for safty measures.

A) I live an appartment. So no loud bangs, no explosvies. My land lord has been rather nice about my lab in my living room so I dont want to push their buttons to far.

B) It abosulty has to be able to be done Inside or outside in a safe manor. I do not have a fume hood at this time.

C) flammable substences are okay as I have safty equipment, but nothing thats going to spray fire all over the place.

D)Skill level is around 5 out of 10. I am of "average" skill so please nothing overly complex.

Also please note, that I have 2 cats and a wife ( yes I possibly have the best wife in the world. How many of you can say it would be okay with a lab in your living room. Not only that buy my work bench for my fire arms and reloading is also in the livingroom) so nothing that will be harmful to them.As they do not have the protection. Those the site of a cat in a gasmask could be funny.

So if you have any ideas in what I can do next to further my learning please, by all means suggest away.

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by gardul]

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
Fenir
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 17:53

I suggest the synthesis of methyl salicilate. It is a rewarding reaction while being both easy and safe.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 17:57

Two cats & a wife... Not afraid of flammable materials.

CATNIP EXTRACTION!

Soxhelet extractor. Catnip. 190 proof ethanol. Extract & purify active volatile constituents of catnip. If in area of North America with wild cougar population, extra points for placing extract sample and game camera in cougar habitat, then publishing images & maybe video here... :o Failing that, buzz up the house moogies on "catnip oil" and post video of THAT/your wife's reaction...

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 18:02

Quote: Originally posted by Fenir  
I suggest the synthesis of methyl salicilate. It is a rewarding reaction while being both easy and safe.

I think I will give that a try. I think I will start with some good old tynoel and move forward that way. Since I live in the desert and dont have much skill for growing plants..

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 18:09

Eh. Making aspirin was usually among the first organic chem labs back when I was in high school- Good choice.

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 18:16

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Two cats & a wife... Not afraid of flammable materials.

CATNIP EXTRACTION!

Soxhelet extractor. Catnip. 190 proof ethanol. Extract & purify active volatile constituents of catnip. If in area of North America with wild cougar population, extra points for placing extract sample and game camera in cougar habitat, then publishing images & maybe video here... :o Failing that, buzz up the house moogies on "catnip oil" and post video of THAT/your wife's reaction...

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by Bert]

I have been told I cant experment on the cats. BUT, I think this doesnt really count as experments on the cats.. right.. right?

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 18:37

If the cats are willing participants... And not catnip "virgins"... Go for it!

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 18:46

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
If the cats are willing participants... And not catnip "virgins"... Go for it!
And take video!
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 20:02

if you live in a desert area, there are cacti all around the place. there are some very interesting organics that can be extracted from cacti!

but I vote for methyl salicylate or one of the other smelly esters. they are easy and very rewarding. also you get to make the hobby a bit more accessible to "ordinary" people by making familiar things like "fake banana" etc

see this great info for inspiration
http://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2013/12/13/infograph...
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 20:04
Nepetalactone

I have now looked at some processes, a home version as linked below might include a simple improvised kitchen steam distillation, non polar solvent extraction of obtained aqueous solution, optional use of salts to improve phase separation and dry extraction solvent, removal of related non active chemicals.

It's actually a nice (relatively!) safe beginner lab for learning some common organic/bio chem procedures. PLUS the furry cat army you will command on completion!

*Note: pure nepetalactone will not actually enable you to create a cat army.

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 20:24

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  
if you live in a desert area, there are cacti all around the place. there are some very interesting organics that can be extracted from cacti!

but I vote for methyl salicylate or one of the other smelly esters. they are easy and very rewarding. also you get to make the hobby a bit more accessible to "ordinary" people by making familiar things like "fake banana" etc

see this great info for inspiration
http://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2013/12/13/infograph...

I live in az so yes I live in the desert. But they are rather fond of their cacti. so hurting them can lead to some nasty time in jail.

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 20:38

As a cat owner and child of the 60's, I'd vote for the catnip extraction. Help your feline buddies find a better way to Huxley's gates!

Oh, I should also add that it is utterly harmless to cats, even safer than pot is to people.

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by Dan Vizine]

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 21:04

I think I will actually do the cat nip one. Since most of you are getting rather ecitied about it. I will need a little bit of time. I would like to actually do a bit of research on this as well. I don't attempt anything new with out actually knowing what I am doing. I also am in need of a new condensor which i need to order this weekend. My broken one is a gram, any suggestions of style I should get? So stay tuned. I will make a video of it and post all findings and research. The wife has given me the Okay to use our cats as subjects.... Form here on now, this is called Operation Cat Army.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 21:09

Quote: Originally posted by gardul  
this is called Operation Cat Army.

Or OCA.
Polverone or Bert, please update gardul's status to "Hazard to cats". We might as well have some fun with this.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 02:09

i would suggest you make either perfumes or dyes(especially fluorescent ones) .
my personal favourite is strawberaldehyde;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_methylphenylglycidate

also you could read these books for more ideas
https://uqu.edu.sa/files2/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files...

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Home-Chemistry-Exper...

for dyes ,you can ask magpie .He is a member here and has synthesised many beautiful compounds (martius yellow) etc.,although some compounds can be quite tricky.

P.S. -the title of this thread is quite misleading actually ,before i read your post ,i thought you were talking about this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methcathinone

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by CuReUS]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  

for dyes ,you can ask magpie .He is a member here and has synthesised many beautiful compounds (martius yellow) etc.,although some compounds can be quite tricky.

IIRC methyl orange and fluorescein are easy to make, once you have the precursors of course.

I look forward to seeing a video of cats doing pushups, running an obstacle course, and marching in formation.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 16:22

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  

IIRC methyl orange and fluorescein are easy to make, once you have the precursors of course.

I look forward to seeing a video of cats doing pushups, running an obstacle course, and marching in formation.

After the extraction of cat nip I think looking at Dyes may be a good Idea.

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 19:28

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

I would pay money to see that.
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 21:11

The first results are in...

Oliver, my black cat nip addicted cat: Indifferent... Doesn't like it.. Ignores it...I had baught new toys and used their old ones for test subjects.. If I attempt to put it on them, or spray him he RUNS AWAY and hides.!

Ruger the fat lazy one: well... nothing changed...

Results: granted I only tested on two cats. I am sure you CAN NOT start a cat army with this stuff. More Experments in the future maybe; But I think I will be moving on from this subject for now.

As I may start a you tube channel.. Who knows.

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by gardul]

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 30-12-2014 at 08:23

Drat, I was hoping for a new way to "herd cats"-

As a consolation, I have altered gardul's status...

[Edited on 30-12-2014 by Bert]

image.jpg - 50kB

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 30-12-2014 at 13:01

Aw, come on!

He's already shown that he's not even a hazard to teh kittehs!

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 31-12-2014 at 13:05

I will be trying this again... it just takes a lot of catnip. maybe I just have odd cats. perhaps I should test it on some strays?

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-12-2014 at 13:52

Did I miss the part where you detailed the extraction method that you used? Either you didn't extract the active principles, or you used material that was inactive. It seems likely that you used an inappropriate extraction method, but you don't describe what it was, only that it failed. How can anyone help you to do it properly next time if you don't describe your method? Obviously they can't: so presumably you're not doing this extraction with the hope of sucessfully extracting anything?!

[Edited on 31-12-2014 by forgottenpassword]
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 31-12-2014 at 14:13

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  
Did I miss the part where you detailed the extraction method that you used? Either you didn't extract the active principles, or you used material that was inactive. It seems likely that you used an inappropriate extraction method, but you don't describe what it was, only that it failed. How can anyone help you to do it properly next time if you don't describe your method? Obviously they can't: so presumably you're not doing this extraction with the hope of sucessfully extracting anything?!

You can't say that i wasn't successful in extracting because my subjects where indifferent. Before you judge me, perhaps you should learn about how cat nip effects a cat. this road, thank you to Bert, taught me a few things also about cat biology as well.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 31-12-2014 at 15:15

Quote: Originally posted by gardul  
Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  

You can't say that i wasn't successful in extracting because my subjects where indifferent. Before you judge me, perhaps you should learn about how cat nip effects a cat. this road, thank you to Bert, taught me a few things also about cat biology as well.
Sure, no one is criticizing you, but could you at least explain how you went about the extraction so advice may be offered and everyone can understand what you did? Personally, I'm just curious.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top