Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Operation Cat Army
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 31-12-2014 at 17:16

thank you zts16 for asking in a more elagant way. I would just like to state I am not finished with this. As right now I am looking into buying about 5lbs worth of catnip once my other ( more long term experiments are completed).

I ran two forms of extractions. one by basic steam distilliation and another by soxhlet extraction.

Basic Steam Distilliation:

This setup is like every other set up that chemists use

1000ml RBF (2 neck) One neck is taken for separatory funnel with hot water, and is added to the RBF when needed. the other is is connected to a 3 way adaptor. Top of the three is a thermometer. on the 75 degree angle is a liebig condensor. Which cold water was pumped through. on the far side of the condenser is the vacuum adaptor, ( which was left open) that connected to a 500ml single neck RBF.

.5lbs of catnip and 500ml if water where used.

when the process was done I gathered just under 200ml. I then distilled this again ( just the ending product). This time I was able to get about 93 ml and product was a little thicker then water.

The density of the Nepetalactone was slightly more then H20 but not as much as Glycerol.

Oliver, my black cat who enjoys catnip, did seem to sniff it, but tended to be put off but the strength of the smell.

I would like to state, that this experiment has a 33% rate of failure right of the bat. As it is belived that only 2/3 of cats enjoy
Nepetalactone.

I would also like to point out JUST because your friendly feline likes cat nip, Doesn't mean it will like pure Nepetalactone. as some felines can be put of by the stronger sent.

A good example is, I love the smell of ammonia.. but there is a point where it can become noxious and over bearing. While this is rare in felines when it comes to Nepetalactone, it is still a possiblity. thus is why I wanted to wait until I was able to test more cats and not just my two.

now the soxhlet extraction:

Please note, that Ethanol of any sort is extremely dangerous to felines. Wine being a double hit. My wife working in the vet field has seen some uninformed people do some very very odd things.

Thus is one of the reasons I chose not to use ethonal. If you need to know more on the effects of this I will continue but will later if requested.

The same idea was used through steam. but with better results. the product was more constrated and seemed to have less water in the final product.

From everthing I have read,water will extract Nepetalactone. Infact I have read artilces where people used Vegtable oil. I will have to find the articles when I get a chance as I am at work right now.

Nepetalactone doesn't seem to hard to extract, it really up to the feline to see if they enjoy it or not. Which becomes a hit or miss. It is an intresting study I must say. and there is a wealth on knowdledge on the subject surprisingly.

I will probably add more to this, it's like i said I am now at work and need to well do some things at work.

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by gardul]: I would like to add, that I have baughlt comerically available extract as well. with the same results.

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by gardul]

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
warteo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 04:27

Have you considered trying extraction of dolicholactone from cat thyme, Teucrium marum? Cat thyme is supposedly much more attractive to many cats than catnip, I have noted this effect with my own two cats who are both rather indifferent to catnip but go crazy on cat thyme. The attraction is so strong that my plant I have growing in the garden has an upturned wire basket over it to protect it from total destruction by roaming felines.

Also valerian root, containing actinidine, is another known attractant. Open a bottle of valerian herbal tablets and the stinky sock smell that comes wafting out sends cats crazy.

Finally, an observation I made in the past week or so that does not appear to be documented anywhere is that Salvia dolomitica is quite attractive to cats. It has that half fragrant/half stinky smell similar to Teucrium marum.

Will be interested in hearing if any of this proves useful in your creation of a kitteh army.
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by warteo  
Have you considered trying extraction of dolicholactone from cat thyme, Teucrium marum? Cat thyme is supposedly much more attractive to many cats than catnip, I have noted this effect with my own two cats who are both rather indifferent to catnip but go crazy on cat thyme. The attraction is so strong that my plant I have growing in the garden has an upturned wire basket over it to protect it from total destruction by roaming felines.

Also valerian root, containing actinidine, is another known attractant. Open a bottle of valerian herbal tablets and the stinky sock smell that comes wafting out sends cats crazy.

Finally, an observation I made in the past week or so that does not appear to be documented anywhere is that Salvia dolomitica is quite attractive to cats. It has that half fragrant/half stinky smell similar to Teucrium marum.

Will be interested in hearing if any of this proves useful in your creation of a kitteh army.

hmm I will move forward in my research this way. sounds interesting. I will have to do a bit of research first as i'm extremely unfamiliar with this substance,. I thank you for the information.

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 00:09

As a new member here I have to tell you, I love this thread. From the conception to this point.

Reason is I raise Presa Canario dogs (7 of them), and at the same time I have 5 cats that live here with us. It's a balancing act to say the least.
My thought is simple... Feed cat nip extract to the dogs, and see how they react to a pride of crazed kittens.:o

Not really... I love my doges too much to allow the cats to take advantage of them.

I just love the idea of the deer cam, and Cougar picts... or maybe a Cheetah.

Obese_cougar_woman_at_the_gym_zpsfbe0db09.jpg - 83kB

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top