Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrogen oxide
moose sniffer
Harmless

Mood: hungry

wink.gif posted on 3-9-2005 at 06:03
Hydrogen oxide

could i produce pure water with pure hydrogen and oxygen?
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 06:11

Not really... impossible without high temperatures, a platinum catalyst, high pressure vessel, sophisiticated electronic equipment and very expensive precursors!

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
zoomer
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Curious

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 06:39

Not to mention the radioactivity released when H undergoes fusion into H2 needed for the H2O.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 07:55

There's a chain of experiments which several scientists performed, I think I'm thinking of one of Faraday's lectures (ohh, the days when experiments were allowed in class :(:( ), goes something like generate oxygen and hydrogen from water, then ignite them in a (very heavy) glass container and watch the water condense. Viola, reassembled.

H + H = H2 isn't fusion dude, it does have a lot of energy though!

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 08:23

For those of you who do not know this already, the combustion of H in O produces large amounts of a chemical known as dihyhrogen monoxide. For background on this dangerous chemical, see this site.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 08:45

LOL.

Alas! so hazardous, yet so useful. The implications of banning such a worthy reagent are terrible!

I think the site should mention that dihydrogen monoxide is actually the number one most used chemical, NOT sulfuric acid as some would say.
zoomer
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Curious

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:24

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
H + H = H2 isn't fusion dude, it does have a lot of energy though!

Um, yeah, I thought this was a joke thread, so I was following cyclonite4's lead on how "complicated" it is to make water. ;)

Z
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:54

Quote:
Originally posted by zoomer
I thought this was a joke thread

Who's saying it's not? :P

[Edited on 3-9-2005 by neutrino]
saps
Hazard to Self

Mood: disgruntled

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 16:21

All you need to make water from hydrogen and oxygen gasses is to mix the two together and ignite them. There is nothing more to it. To make sure you use up all (or just about all) of your original gasses, use two parts hydrogen to one oxygen.

You may get some amounts of h202 (hydrogen peroxide) in doing so, but I doubt it. If your original gasses were very pure, then yes, your water will turn out pure as well.

This reaction is very exothermic, and if it is done in a large enough amount, then it will definitely be very loud and most likely very dangerous. However, small amounts are hardly a problem. Keep in mind you won't get very much water out of the reaction, and it will be in gas form due to the energy created by the reaction.

Small amounts are fairly safe to handle

If your true purpose for this post was to find out a good way to make pure water, then you should be asking about that directly, and then go on to suggest the reaction of hydrogen and oxygen. People here will answer only what they are asked, after all.

Finally, the best way to get pure hydrogen gas is with electrolysis. If you add salt to the water, it works faster but then you have chloride that comes out into the gas, or something like that. Anyway, another way to get hydrogen is to put metal into an acid. Don't know how pure of hydrogen you'll get from that.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 16:23

Sodium carbonate or bicarbonate or an oxidized acid like 10-20% H2SO4 works well as electrolyte.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
moose sniffer
Harmless

Mood: hungry

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 16:28

does anybody know what the ratio of hydrogen +oxygen gas to water is. and would i still get pure water if i burned hydrogen in air?
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 17:45

2:1 and yes.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 23:33

yes, apart from the nitric acid.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 4-9-2005 at 22:01

Your proposal is flawed, moose sniffer. I see you want to make DHMO. What you should do is obtain hydrogen peroxide (the higher concentration, the better; around 70% should suffice, don't settle for the drugstore crap!) and dump something like manganese dioxide or lithium aluminum hydride into it, thus forcing out the extra oxygen and giving you the Holy Grail hydrogen oxide!!!!!

:D :D

sparky (~_~)

P.S. On a more serious note: you REAAALLLY have a long way to go, moose sniffer. :P

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 5-9-2005 at 18:37

Yes sparkgap, that would work, perhaps too well :P. Let's hope he doesn't take that to heart or we'll have one less forum member.

Anyways, if you want to make water, try using the 3% hydrogen peroxide with a miniscule amount of potassium permanganate, or even some potassium iodide, heck, blood would work. That will break it down to oxygen, you can collect that. You can make the hydrogen with some zinc and dilute hydrochloric acid (zinc in post 1982 pennies). If you had a eudiometer you could be a little more precise. Mix the two gases together and see what happens! Now since nothing happened, carefully get a lit match on a stick and try again. There's your water and a nice little lesson on activation energy :)
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 13:35

Yes, if i remember correct water (H2O) was first prepared by an electric "charge" in H2 and O2

Go To Top