Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemistry of Essential Oils Vol. 2 Online
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 31-1-2003 at 14:08
Chemistry of Essential Oils Vol. 2 Online

Some months ago I scanned the first volume of Ernest J. Parry's The Chemistry of Essential Oils and Artificial Perfumes and made it available to the world. Now I have completed volume 2 (of 2), and I hope that you will find that the wait was worthwhile.

For those interested in retro-tech, this volume may offer a number of interesting procedures, patent numbers, and old journal references to dig through. It is certainly more focused on chemistry than the first volume was.

Since I now have OCR software handy, I have not manually prepared a clickable index for this volume. Instead, I have embedded the recognized and searchable text beneath the scanned images. I have also processed volume 1 in the same manner, so it too is now searchable.

Many thanks go to Rhadon, who managed to get me a copy of FineReader 6 to replace my flaky version 5. His trans-Atlantic internet connection was slow but managed to get the job done, and I thank him for the OCR that otherwise wouldn't have happened.

Enjoy.

http://bcis.pacificu.edu/~polverone/parry.html
Rhadon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2003 at 14:10

Thanks for that book :)
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 31-1-2003 at 15:04
One more thing

I have learned that there is a bilevel compression scheme called JBIG2 that is very efficient for scanned images of the sort I have in my PDF files. Recent versions of Acrobat can read it, but alas the encoders are expensive and distributed by third parties. If anyone comes across a warez version of the CVista compressor from cvsiontech (http://www.cvisiontech.com/cvistapdf.html) I would be delighted to hear of it. Of course I realize that this is unlikely, as the compressor is very expensive and probably not in wide use. But keep your eyes peeled for JBIG2 tools.
Rhadon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2003 at 15:28

Yes, a program like that would be fine. I tried to find it, without success. Looks like it is hard to get, but perhaps someone can find it.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

biggrin.gif posted on 25-2-2003 at 17:47

Great books!I have always loved perfumes and aromatic chemicals!
Glad to see you also like that field of chemistry!

PH Z ;)

Go To Top