Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mushrooms chemicals extraction...
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

cool.gif posted on 16-9-2005 at 14:41
Mushrooms chemicals extraction...

Hello to all,

I've found which chemical of mushrooms is a not well developed branch of chemistry, but it can be funny and cheap (autumn isn't too far) to experiment with.

I would advise which i'm not trying to get myself drugged, like the ones at http://www.shamanic-extracts.com/xcart/customer/home.php
(it was found by searching on google mushroom chemical extraction), just experiment with mushrooms.
So, has anyone experience extracting alkaloids (muscarine) or other substances (amanitine, ibotenic acid....) from mushrooms, like in the Amanita genre?

Thanks at all for help!
mick
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-9-2005 at 07:28

I am not an expert but apparently one way might be to get some one else to eat the said mushrooms and either drink their urine or extract the stuff from it.

mick
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

thumbdown.gif posted on 17-9-2005 at 08:37

mick, I hope you're joking.....
Amanita genre of mushrooms are almost all poisonous so...I think isn't needed to explain other!
I would try to extract chemicals from mushrooms (poisonous ones) with petroleum ether....i've read something about this at http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/eclectic/kings/fungi.html , so I hope something would work...

Any information / experience welcomed
Sway
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-9-2005 at 09:58

This link might offer some direction:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_journal1.sh...
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2005 at 10:05

I am probably wrong but I am not joking. I have read that reindeers in lapland like these type of mushrooms, which being a bit cold I can understand, and a lot of the phyco-active stuff comes out in the piss.
mick
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

thumbup.gif posted on 17-9-2005 at 12:40

Thanks Sway! (you've made the first step at helping me).
mick, i'm not saying which what you've wrote is not true, but not pratical. If one want to try what you've wrote, it will try on an animal....
Chemical of mushrooms is so rich of toxins and other substances...

Any information / experience welcomed!
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 09:33

Not found anything about extractions of mushrooms alkaloids/toxins/chemicals, but found a somewhat good guide to mushrooms growing: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593
I want to try this as soon I will take some spores from mushrooms in the forest near me. It would be funny and useful! Anyone want also to try this?

Any experience and informations welcomed!

[Edited on 18-9-2005 by kazaa81]
Sway
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 15:09
Mushroom Cultivation

You're welcome, kazaa81. Some folks might say I have experience in growing Psilocybe cubensis, but I would never admit to it because of its illegality in the US.

Collecting spores from a mushroom found in an uncontrolled enviroment (such as your nearby forest) could create problems of contamination. Obtaining a spore print from a cap is a simple, but careful procedure. The goal then is to make a spore solution for a syringe to inoculate a substrate. An ideal solution contains only the spores of your specimen. Unless you have a microscope to identify and remove unwanted spores, I'd consider buying a premade syringe from one of shroomery.org's sponsors.

This link describes a psilocybin extraction:
http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin/adsarchive/extractio...

Here is more info:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_journal.sht...
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

thumbup.gif posted on 19-9-2005 at 12:38

Thank you Sway!
Ok, you've experience in growing cubensis, but have you also tried to grow other types? I will try to make incubation jars soon, but first I have to buy some vermiculite. For obtaining spores, I will pick up some big mushrooms and close tightly them in a jar. "If you're interested in mushrooms, mushrooms will go to you", that is what I thought when I saw some "Auriculus auricola-judae" in my house garden. Will they grow on non-wood cakes?

Thanks at all for help! ;)
epck
Harmless

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 23-9-2005 at 13:28

The main alkaloids in the Amanita muscaria mushroom such as muscimol and ibotenic acid are water soluble. I would imagine that an extract could be easily done with just water. I've also read that A. muscaria can be made edible by briefly boiling the mushroom and throwing out the water. Since A. muscaria are very common where I live I've actually tried this and they're not too bad tasting. However, I was a little too nervous to eat a large amount but there were no intoxicating effects.

I've read in multiple sources that the intoxicating chemicals in A. muscaria are passed through the urine. The ibotenic acid has unpleasent side effects such as nausea but upon dehydration is coverted to muscimol which has the more desirable effects. Supposedly the ibotenic acid is more completely transformed into muscimol in the human body and then released into the urine producing a superior high. I haven't tried this.

Remember there are very many Amanita mushrooms out there and they range from the deadly poisenous such as the Destroying Angel (nice name) to being prized for there taste, Amanita Caesarea. I believe the toxins in Destroying Angel are a rather complex peptide and am unsure how one would extract this peptide. If I feel like procrastinating some more I'll see if I can find the journal article I vaguely remember reading. A. muscaria is not particulary toxic however.
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

shocked.gif posted on 24-9-2005 at 10:58

Thanks for the infos. you've post, epck!

I want to advise you which this thread won't talk about drugs and their consume, so do not post words about this.

Thanks
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2005 at 06:22

Just remember
All mushrooms are edible -once.

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by unionised]
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2005 at 13:01

It's like to say: everyone can fly by itself...for one second (by jumping).
So, if one must post these things, please DO NOT post. Thanks! :)
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2005 at 14:09

This topic caught my interest very much so about this time last year. I happened to spot an Amanita M. growing close to my old appartment. I thought to myself, those mushrooms get you high don't they? Since then I have done a fair amount of research. I found that there is not much information on these mushrooms. I actually posted a topic similar to this on the shroomery, stating that I could not find any information on extracting muscimol or ibotenic acid from these mushrooms. One of the seasoned members informed me that extracting ibotenic acid from these mushrooms is a long drawn out process that does not produce yields worth while. Not to mention that his associate that performed the procedure had access to a professional lab. Sure ibotenic acid and muscimol are soluble in water, but so are many of the other mycotoxins that are present in these mushrooms. From the studying that I have done, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to stay away from these kinds of mushrooms. They can very easily make you violently sick if not prepared correctly. Also, they are in the amanita genius which happens to contain some of the most deadly "look alike" species known to man. If you’re thinking about playing with amanitas, one word comes to mind- DONT!!!!

N/A
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 08:22

I got into collecting wild mushrooms to eat a while ago. There are a lot of edible wild mushrooms but most of them taste crap, nothing like what you buy in the shop. In general they are full of magots if you do not pick them early enough. If you find the good edible ones like the giant puff ball, cep, field mushroom, horseshoe mushroom, field blewit they can be good. The best I found was the shaggy ink cap (lawyers wig), if you pick them while they are still under ground (a bit like truffles) they are excellent.
Poisoned myself once with mushrooms, 3 am on the toilet with a bowl to throw up into and one of the worst headaches I have ever had. It took 2 days to get over it, I was younger then.
My policy with wild mushrooms is never to touch anything with white gills unless known eg oyster.
As said before check out the colour of the spore print.
mick

Go To Top