Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lack of economical sources
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2005 at 12:46
Lack of economical sources

I'm currently living in Canada, and I find it a horrible mess trying to get even the simplest of chemicals.

Other than your essential acids (HCl, H2SO4, HNO3) and your bases (NaOH, chiefly), it's been near impossible for myself to get other chemicals.

Just today, I was intrigued about the process of converting benzoic acid to the simple methyl benzoate, so I went to my local pharmacy, and asked if they carried it. They did not, and claimed that to order it, it would cost upwards of $20 for 100 g.

I was even willing to prepare the benzoic acid myself via precipitating out from a solution of sodium benzoate, but that wasn't much cheaper either ($16 for 100 g).

I was curious if anyone else ran into this trouble before, as I know that often pharmacies carry USP grade reagents, whereas (in general), technical grade is sufficient for our home pursuits :)

Also, if anyone can suggest any other alternatives//locations where I can even purchase something as simple as benzoic acid, it would be greatly appreciated
Octal40
Harmless

Mood: Moo0dy

[*] posted on 19-10-2005 at 06:02

I have 100g of Benzoic Acid you can have... Just come up with a way to transact. eBay maybe? I personaly hate to give out personal identifiable info but I'm willing to help. You decide if you want it bad enough.

I got it from eBay in the first place.

[Edited on 19-10-2005 by Octal40]

Oh, I need more time to come up with a sig.
hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2005 at 08:59

Maybe by pyrolysis of PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastic. If the PET bottles are also common in Canada you can use this plasic as source.

Here is the link:
http://www.dupontteijinfilms.com/datasheets/mylar/healthsafe...

I've heated PET in a test tube and got a white condensate at the upper end of the test tube, which I claim to be benzoic acid
(m.p.122°C, b.p.249C°) Maybe you can do the pyrolysis in a steel tube (attached destillation tube) inside an oven and let the benzoic acid destill over, since the rest of the PET plasic will serve contaminate any glassware.(carbon and other residues)
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-10-2005 at 10:10

Sodium benzoate is a common food preservative. I purchased a lb of it at a fairly reasonable price from someone selling it for the preservation of carp bait. :D

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 19-10-2005 at 13:45

Ebay is always useful. Many sellers will ship internationally at a reasonable price.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 19-10-2005 at 16:08

I used to have that problem, but now I have many suppliers. U2U me with what you are wanting and I can recomend you source(s). US suppliers that ship to (individuals) in Canada, and Canadian suppliers which ship to individuals, your pick.:)

Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2005 at 17:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
Sodium benzoate is a common food preservative. I purchased a lb of it at a fairly reasonable price from someone selling it for the preservation of carp bait. :D

Wow, I didn't know that it was used as preservation for carp bait :o

I wonder if I could get some that way (perhaps from someone in the aquatics industry?)

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
Ebay is always useful. Many sellers will ship internationally at a reasonable price.

I'm not too worried about the shipiping costs and such, but moreso the fees customs might impose. White powder coming out of a package isn't exactly a good thing nowadays...
thalium
Hazard to Others

Mood: :D

mad.gif posted on 23-10-2005 at 09:37

I now have problems finding even the simplest of glassware:mad: . To buy a 500 ml flask you have to fill in forms on 3 pages:mad:

I don\'t believe in ghosts but they believe in me

Hell was full so I came back..
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 23-10-2005 at 19:53

Thalium you might as well be living in Texas. :( That's horrible. What events brought on that Draconian measure. Or is it just official paranoia?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 4-11-2005 at 06:19

There is a small outfit in Arizona that may ship stuff. The guy doesn't like to do a BIG mail-order business but he does sell used equipment and is very cheap. - Hg about $35 lb....LOTS of glassware, and lots of reagents. He is a legit & streight guy so don't even think about asking for List 1 stuff (drug making chems like acidic anhidryde or phosphorus). But general, chems he has at very cheap prices. If he can't get it he will level with you and tell you why. He doesn't play games or lie. He has been very fair with prices on used magnetic stirrers, hot plates, etc. - He like to use UPS, not the USPO.

ADCHEMCO 520.790.8485

Go To Top