Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of Sugars from Aldehydes+Alkaline Earth Hydroxides?
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 24-9-2005 at 04:44
Synthesis of Sugars from Aldehydes+Alkaline Earth Hydroxides?

i was reading the synthetic use of metals in organic chemistry, and in the Mg/Ca/Ba section, i came across a short section on the production of sugars from the hydroxides of Mg, Ca and Ba. it's very vague and gives no indication whatsoever of the mechanisms involved before it goes on to talk about acrolein bromide+Ba(OH)2-->acrolein.

what i do see is that trioxylethylene+Ca(OH)2-->slightly yellowish syrup called "methose"

does anybody know how the reaction happens?

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 24-9-2005 at 06:12

I think it's similar to the reaction of i.e. acetaldehyde and formaldehyde to form the sugar pentaerythritol. The mechanism of that is well known. Even formaldehyde and acetone works as well, to form a dimer of pentaertythritol.
Those reactions are also done in the presence of either Ca(OH)2 or Ba(OH)2.
Essentially, C beta of acetaldehyde is reactive, and has each H reacting with CHO to from the CH2OH, which is then reduced in due course.

Look up the pentaerythritol synthesis, that will help you.

PS What is ' trioxylethylene'?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2005 at 08:10

i meant trioxymethylene. it was early in the morning. sorry

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 24-9-2005 at 08:15

If you call it paraformaldehyde people are more likely to understand... I had to google it to get what you mean.

Anyway, so yes, this supports it. You might get more interesting sugars with paraformaldehyde and other aldehydes, though, even something like glyceraldehyde, acrolein, etc.
From personal experience, such preps are unfortunatley rather cumbersome, as the products often don't crystallise.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2005 at 10:01

could i make sugars with ketones instead of aldehydes?

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Even formaldehyde and acetone works as well, to form a dimer of pentaertythritol.

This answers your own question. Chemoleo

[Edited on 24-9-2005 by chemoleo]

trilobite
Hazard to Others

Mood: lonely

[*] posted on 24-9-2005 at 14:48

I remember a lecturer telling that acidic condensation of formaldehyde gave among many other things glucose and it's enantiomers in an experiment performed in the 19th century, but I haven't tried to find more information on the subject. The inspiration for the experiment surely originated from the fact that formaldehyde and glucose have the same empirical formula, CH2O. I presume it is not too selective a synthesis. :P
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-9-2005 at 11:50

actually chemoleo i meant with ketones only and a lack of aldehydes. is that possible? could i use acetone only and see a reaction?

Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 25-9-2005 at 14:08

Yes, you will see a reaction, but I am not sure if it goes the same mechanism as the other reactions mentioned here. Acetone and barium hydroxide will make diacetone alcohol.

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=CV1P0199
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
trilobite
Hazard to Others

Mood: lonely

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 18:04

Oh, now I read the thread through properly. How do you define a sugar? To my knowledge it is essential that a sugar has, in it's open chain form, a carbonyl group and several hydroxyl groups so, that it can cyclisize to form a ring through an oxygen atom (hemiacetal formation). Traditionally it also has an empirical formula of a carbohydrate (CH2O)x, but there are exceptions like deoxyribose, so the definition has been expanded since old times. Pentaerythritol at least is not a sugar nor a carbohydrate.

The reaction that is being discussed here is called Aldol condensation. The name originates from aldol, CH3-CH(OH)-CH2-CO-H, the self-condensation product of acetaldehyde (originally simply called aldehyde, from alcohol dehydrogenatum). However, in my opinion it is not very useful in synthesizing sugars since the problem is to be able to put several hydroxyl groups in a row to adjacent carbons in a chain. It is always the alpha carbon (the carbon next to a carbonyl group) of a ketone/aldehyde that is reacting with a carbonyl group of another molecule, be it formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acetone, benzaldehyde or whatever -- you won't get a hydroxyl group in that position unless the aldehyde/ketone you start with already contains a hydroxyl group in that position. I don't know how well it would work in practice, but theoretically if you used alpha-hydroxyacetaldehyde HO-CH2-CO-H, the self condensation would result in HO-CH2-CH(OH)-CH(OH)-CO-H and (HO-CH2-CH(OH))2-C(OH)-CO-H among higher condensation products, both of which are able to form a five-membered ring: (the empty space between lines makes it hard to draw clear vertical bonds)
Code:
CH2-CH(OH)-CH(OH)-C-OH '--------O--------' HO-CH2-CH-OH | CH2-CH(OH)-C(OH)-C-OH '--------O-------'

Another question is why isn't there a carbonyl group in pentaerythritol if it is formed through Aldol condensation? First acetaldehyde reacts three times with formaldehyde, always forming a bond between the alpha carbon of the acetaldehyde molecule and the only carbon of a formaldehyde molecule. This reaction gives (HO-CH2)3-C-CO-H, whose only carbonyl group, the one coming from acetaldehyde, is then reduced to a hydroxyl by the excess formaldehyde present in the reaction mixture, giving pentaerythritol (HO-CH2)3-C-CH2-OH or C-(CH2-OH)4.

With all respect, what I can't understand is people asking questions about organic chemistry without studying even the elementary reactions themselves, it's not like the information isn't available on the net, even if one hasn't got access to an academic library (which is the only acceptable excuse of not going there to read the books, in my opinion). Please do not hold yourself down. I must add that the Aldol condensation is an irreplaceable cornerstone of organic synthesis, one of the oldest known ways to form a C-C bond, with applications, variations and advances being developed even today. Anyone who wants to understand organic synthesis has to understand this reaction as well.

[Edited on 27-9-2005 by trilobite]
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2005 at 12:57

Trioxymethylene is another name for s- trioxane and isn't the same as paraformaldehyde (which is a linear polymer).

Once, long ago, before the details of photosynthesis were worked out, it was thought that formaldehyde was an intermediate in the production of carbohydrates. (A quick google for "formaldehyde hypothesis" might help here.)
There are probably a number of definitions of sugars and carbohydrates. For the latter, you can always go back to the origin of the name. If the stuff is a hydrate of carbon ie has the formula
C(x) H(2y) O(y) or Cx (H2O)y it's a carbohydrate.

Go To Top