Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2000ml sepertory funnel
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 17:15
2000ml sepertory funnel

A bout a week ago I was browsing Ebay and found this 2000ml Bomax funnel for 25 dollars plus shipping. My wife let me use some code she had for 25off. so all I had to pay was the 14.99 shipping.

Anyone use Bomax glass before?

It showed up. No marks cracks or bubbles. I didn't really need it but, I figured a 2000ml funnel are normally really expensive.

[Edited on 15-11-2014 by gardul]

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 20:20

Are you sure it isn't a Chinese knock off fake version and they misprinted the Bomex label which is a known glassware manufacturer.
In the life after detonation thread, Yamato71 talks of a beaker which caused his accident that was supposed to be pyrex but was Chinese made and mislabeled "pyrox".
I brought a 3000ml separatory funnel off ebay that was a brand I hadn't heard of and used it a couple of times without a problem. One day I walked into my lab and it was sitting on the shelf with a hairline crack through the middle of the glass stopcock part. I picked it up and it fell apart at the bottom into two pieces which rendered it useless.
Ever since then I try and buy Schott Duran glass whenever I can, the stuff is very hard to break.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 21:09

Bomax is in fact chinese.
Of course all chinese knockoffs are not necessarily bad.
Some are medium quality.
Few of the knockoffs with names similar to good brands
are actually high quality.

http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Super-A-Scientific/600883...

Of course much 'name brand' is also made in china.
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 21:27

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
Are you sure it isn't a Chinese knock off fake version and they misprinted the Bomex label which is a known glassware manufacturer.
In the life after detonation thread, Yamato71 talks of a beaker which caused his accident that was supposed to be pyrex but was Chinese made and mislabeled "pyrox".
I brought a 3000ml separatory funnel off ebay that was a brand I hadn't heard of and used it a couple of times without a problem. One day I walked into my lab and it was sitting on the shelf with a hairline crack through the middle of the glass stopcock part. I picked it up and it fell apart at the bottom into two pieces which rendered it useless.
Ever since then I try and buy Schott Duran glass whenever I can, the stuff is very hard to break.

That's not good. I keep a good eye on it. I really didn't have a use forit asof yetsince most of my studies are no more then 500ml.

I have some ( okay sadly ALOT) of glassware from china. I havn't had to many issues with it. Anything I really need to push I use my pyrex stuff. I normally don't heat the crap stuff above 150C.

I just figured that I wouldnt be heating this or putting it through abuse the price wasn't bad.

[Edited on 15-11-2014 by gardul]

greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 06:31

Yeah, sep funnels arent too bad i suppose because you never heat them and the most abuse they take is some shaking.
I don't know why mine just cracked sitting on a shelf, maybe it had problems during manufacturing which made it unusually fragile.

[Edited on 18-11-2014 by greenlight]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 10:20

If it cracked at the stopcock, take might imply that you left the stopcocked tensioned in storage. If you want to do best, loosen Teflon stopcocks once you clean a sep funnel or addition funnel. That will both reduce the pressure on the glass, as well as keep the Teflon from creeping and deforming. That is recommended for all Teflon stopcocks, not to store under tension. Also, some people just over tighten then, which can break any glass stopcock. Remember a wedge has enormous strength and leverage.
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 18:02

Thank you Doctor bob, I think that is exactly what caused the stopcock area to crack considering that was the only separatory funnel I purchased with a teflon stopcock.
The rest of mine are all glass and I never have breakages or problems storing them so your explanation makes perfect sense.
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 18:20

When I get home from work I will have to check to make sure I didn't tighten it as I am Just keeping it in a box for right now. Thank you Dr. Bob for that infomation.

Go To Top