Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Upgrade a-hoy!
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 16-2-2003 at 16:31
Upgrade a-hoy!

No doubt many of you have grown tired of the bugs and quirks found in our current board software. I am going to attempt to update it to version 1.8 to fix these problems. I hope that this goes smoothly...

Edit: Excellent! The new install went fine, the "edit" button works now, bbcode img problems have been fixed... dance with joy!

[Edited on 17-2-2003 by Polverone]
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 16-2-2003 at 18:10

the index_log.log exploit has been disabled too :)

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
The Ed
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-2-2003 at 18:12

hooray for working edit buttons. is the old color scheme coming back?

Polverone

[*] posted on 16-2-2003 at 18:17

No, the board appearance is currently in heavy flux (as you may have noticed if you've been browsing as I work!).

I think the old board color scheme was kind of nice because it was soothing and calm, but (depending on the computer and monitor) it could also look dark, dreary, and oppressive. I wanted to go to something lighter with warm hues. I may be experimenting with appearance for a while yet to come. I have also changed font settings because on the browsers I normally use, the font for this board was pretty small and could be hard to read.
raistlin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-2-2003 at 18:49

This is EXTREMELY nice! No more wasted post because of my little errors! Good work Polverone!

[Edited on 17-2-2003 by raistlin]

\"To ignite, or not to ignite, that is the question.\"
rikkitikkitavi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-2-2003 at 10:39

I like it a lot. Especially, header with the
logo and " the art and science of amateur experimentalism".

Muspratt would have been proud!

/rickard
Polverone

[*] posted on 17-2-2003 at 11:32
possible problems

Rhadon has been seeing PHP errors on the pages. I was seeing them yesterday, but I thought I fixed the problem. Have others been seeing errors too?

Also, the cookies the software uses has changed. To properly log out and in again you will probably need to clear your old cookies.

I use Mozilla all the time and I admit that I haven't viewed the site using other browsers since the upgrade. Let me know if things are looking funny on your end.

Thanks for the kudos, those who have written. I will re-color the front page logo today and make it non-tiling as suggested.

Edit: I just realized that if there *are* people having trouble, they may not be able to log in to respond to this post. So send me e-mail if you are experiencing difficulties.

[Edited on 17-2-2003 by Polverone]
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 17-2-2003 at 14:24

For me, currently there is no color and no icons. It is strictly 'red x's' and black on white. All other websites work fine for me, but the board is still screwed up. At the top, I get this error: "Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/sciencem/public_html/talk/header.php on line 360"
Polverone

[*] posted on 17-2-2003 at 14:58
drat

I wonder what you and Rhadon might have in common? He has had trouble logging out and in and he gets the same PHP error you do, but he hasn't reported trouble with colors and icons.

Tell me what browser, what OS, do you use any proxy software or anything else that might mess with things, etc.

I have now looked at the new board with Opera 7.01 and IE 5.5 (under Windows 2000) and Mozilla under Linux and Mac OS X. I've also looked with IE 5 under Mac OS. The only one that seemed to have any trouble was IE 5 on Mac OS - the divider bars were going through text.

Keep the bug reports coming if you have them. I want to get this nailed down.
Rhadon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-2-2003 at 01:06
Also have problems with colors and icons

I just wanted to say that I also cannot display colors and icons correctly as long as I'm logged in. When I'm logged out, everything is as it ought to be.

I'd say that my computer is unable to interpret some PHP commands correctly, but I have no idea how this could be possible.

Perhaps the problem does only occur with the accounts of Haggis and me. I remember that I have adjusted the color scheme on the old board... perhaps it's only a little detail like that which hasn't been noticed yet.

Polverone, perhaps you might try logging in into my account and see whether you do then have the same problems as Haggis and me?
Rhadon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-2-2003 at 01:17
Got it!!!

I just found out how to get it to work:

The problem was indeed related to the color scheme. When you change the color scheme to ScienceMadness, everything will work fine.

My problem with not being able to log in in Opera was my own fault. Looks like I was playing around with the settings a bit too much :) Now everything's okay.
Polverone

[*] posted on 18-2-2003 at 01:17
ah-ha!

You adjusted the old color scheme! Well, quite by accident, I completely deleted the old color scheme when I was exploring my new administrative powers right after the upgrade. That rather forced me to hastily explore new coloring options :) I would guess that setting your personal theme to something else would fix things.

I am sorry about the problems you've experienced and I promise I won't be deleting any more theme files.
Rhadon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-2-2003 at 01:19

No problem! Sometimes it's good if there are things that don't work rigt from the beginning on. Like editing posts :D

EDIT: What a feeling, I can edit my posts! I wouldn't be half as pleased if I hadn't waited for that feature so long :)

[Edited on 18-2-2003 by Rhadon]
BASF
Hazard to Others

Mood: hydrophilic

thumbup.gif posted on 18-2-2003 at 03:03
W O W !!!

what should i say......the new layout of the board is just great!

I think i will make another T-shirt using the madscience-logo from above:DD

Haggis
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 15:48

This is really starting to bug me. Whenever I try to log out I get these lines of text:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/sciencem/public_html/talk/header.php on line 360

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sciencem/public_html/talk/header.php:360) in /home/sciencem/public_html/talk/misc.php on line 134

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sciencem/public_html/talk/header.php:360) in /home/sciencem/public_html/talk/misc.php on line 135

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sciencem/public_html/talk/header.php:360) in /home/sciencem/public_html/talk/misc.php on line 136

I cannot log out. I am running IE 6.0 and Windows 98 SE. I will try to clear cookies, perhaps that might help.

Edit!!! Score! I cleared cookies and files and I now have the new board! I can also edit!. Good job, guys.

[Edited on 19-2-2003 by Haggis]

Edit: I had the new color scheme, but whenever I log in, It goes back to the php errors and the blank black and white.

[Edited on 20-2-2003 by Haggis]
Polverone

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 18:03
clarification

I'm not entirely sure from your edited post: are you still experiencing errors when you are logged in? Like Rhadon, had you customized your color scheme? Set it to one of the existing themes in your control panel and the black and white problem should be gone.
Haggis
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 18:13

Yes, I am still experiancing errors when I'm logged in. When I open my control panel, it is all text. There is only a few hyperlinks, but no way to type in my mood, or change the 'theme' which is what I think you mean by color scheme. This is what it does in my control panel:

Brief Account Summary For Haggis - [Member]
Username Haggis Posts 11 UID 229
Newsletter Subscription? no E-Mail Jmonkey_77@hotmail.com Mood:
Avatar & Member Status: Member Avatar: Theme XMBForum.com
Custom Status

It is all text there, nothing editable. Polverone, I would trust you with my password if you would like to take a look-see for yourself. Whenever I delete cookies however, (essentially logging out) it returns to the color scheme and the icons.
Polverone

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 18:30
no worries

I don't need your password to change your account. I reset your theme. Is it fixed now?
Haggis
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 20:19

Wow, thanks a bunch. You did a great job on the new logo. If you were to offer it, I would love to have a t-shirt with that logo on it. If there is no plans in the future for t-shirts, may I use the image and make my own?
Polverone

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 20:47

If you want to use the logo for a t-shirt, you'll want a higher resolution version. Are you thinking of the one on the front page or the banner-style one that is sitting at the top of this page? I did the logo in Illustrator and just exported a low-res bitmap for web usage, so I can give you a much larger graphic.
Haggis
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 20:54

My idea was the smaller logo with "The art and science of amateur experimentalism" over the heart and the main 'Science Madness' logo on the back. I don't know how well the logos would transfer to real life printouts, but I'm guessing that they would be a bit smallish. Heck, I'd be proud to wear a Science Madness shirt around town.
Polverone

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 22:44

Well, this weekend I will put high-res versions of both the main logo and the main logo + text up for download, so that you can print out something that will look nice and clear on a shirt or anything else.

Go To Top