Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Content for sciencemadness
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

smile.gif posted on 30-5-2002 at 11:49
Content for sciencemadness

One of these days (honestly) I'm going to get around to putting up some web pages on sciencemadness in addition to the message board. There's already an FAQ that I've written sitting somewhere around here. I've also thought of other content that would be good to put up over time, such as step by step breakdowns of various experiments.

This is my grand Call for Content. I can't offer individual accounts to people who have material to contribute, but I would be glad to host good material and credit its orginator. For example, if you have a page of experiments that's currently hosted on a lousy free server like Geocities, I'd be happy to duplicate the content locally and credit you with it. It would be rather like having your own paid web host, with the disadvantage that you have to wait for me or another administrator to upload any materials that you send to us.

So, eventually, there'd be an index page of contributors like this:

Fantastic_Contributor
Madscientists
Member_1
Member_2
Polverone
Zed

etc.

Each link would go to another page with that individual's content. But, as I said, it wouldn't exactly be like having your own paid host. I would probably try to make sure that all the pages look at least somewhat similar and are legible. And, as I said before, the content and updates for the pages would have to be processed by an admin before they would appear; there wouldn't be individual FTP accounts set up (at least not right away).

I welcome all sorts of content, but I can't/won't host any warez, improvised weapons information (general explosives is OK), or really large videos.

If you have content you'd like hosted on sciencemadness, let me or madscientist know via e-mail or private message.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 16-8-2004 at 14:05

Great idea!
May I ask how much space you deem to provide? Per person, or rather, how much space there is altogether?
Also, I guess one of the problems is that of bandwidth, if there are lots of images etc, is there a chance that the bandwidth may be exceeded?

PS Strange, I never saw that post until now :o

[Edited on 16-8-2004 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 16-8-2004 at 14:53

It'd be best if each member that wanted their site on the host would use a set template for their site or something.

Would make it easier on you having to try and match all of the pages if everyones using the same template.

All that glitters isn't gold.
Polverone

[*] posted on 16-8-2004 at 15:08

There's theoretically about 300 MB of free space available. Actual physical space on the main partition is lower than this. I seem to be getting by okay by making symlinks to material in /var/tmp, but of course /var/tmp is (theoretically) temporary...

Uniformity would be nice, but I'm not too worried about that.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2004 at 16:58

I am sure that a lot of space could be saved by storing material as ZIP or RAR archives wherever possible. Much of the FTP material is stored as many small HTML and to a lesser extent PDF serial file sections, which could easily be compressed into multi-file archives to conserve space. The very small files especially contribute to taking up space, because files are stored in clusters of 16Kb or 32 Kb, whch is the minimum that even the very smallest files occupy.

John W.
Polverone

[*] posted on 16-8-2004 at 17:51

There's a bunch of uncompressed HTML files on the FTP site? I must've missed those last time I was browsing. PDF compresses only slightly when it contains a lot of images (i.e., scanned books especially). PDF without a lot of images does compress fairly well and has always led me to wonder why PDF has never included a general lossless compressor, like DjVu does. I'm pretty sure axehandle is using reiserfs for the FTP, which uses 4KB blocks, so he's not wasting quite as much space as you fear. And of course the extra granularity is nice when you want just one article, not a bunch of them.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
peterthesmart
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2004 at 17:46
Storage Issues

If you guys are planning to include lots of pictures or other files on the sites, you can use Image Shack for pictures and YouSendIt for larger files. Both sites offer these services for free.
http://s11.yousendit.com/
Handy for sending files under a gig, I'm not sure how long they store the files on the server though.
www.imageshack.us
Hosts pictures of various formats up to 1024kb in size, more than enough for most pictures. They store the pictures until they are not accessed for a year.
If you use both sites, you'll be left mostly with HTML files, which take up barely any space.

[Edited on 18-8-2004 by peterthesmart]

Go To Top