Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Why DMF is controlled?
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 07:21

Yes, but as a company you could get punished for selling it - call it what you like. It is possible that his supplier was ignorant regarding the legislation and still sold it, or he knew but still wanted to make profit, or the authorities of the country in question don't care to enforce certain legislations, god knows.

Take Holland, it is party to the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs. This convention prohibits cultivation and trade of naturally-occurring drugs, yet one still can have a coffeshop (company) and sell shrooms and pot in Holland, authorities don't enforce the law in practice, it only exist on paper to please the US war on "drugs". I would not be surprised if there are countries within EU who are in the simillar manner relaxed towards certain chemical restrictions, but the legislation still exists - even if only on a piece of paper.

[Edited on 9-10-2005 by Sandmeyer]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 10:17

Well, I am Dutch and indeed, as long as drugs have a natural origin, the authorities are quite relaxed. Things, however, are changing slowly, because of troubles around these so-called coffeeshops. They attract a certain class of people, who are not welcomed by the people, living in the neighbourhood of these coffee-shops. So, quite some coffeeshops are closed again or banned to areas at the border of the cities.

If people have a few hennep-plants for personal 'joy', then nobody makes problems of that.

Chemical drugs is another matter. As soon as a meth-lab is discovered, it is dismantled and all stuff is taken away and the people involved get into deep trouble. On the other hand, the use of chemical drugs, strangely, is tolerated to a certain extent. So, making them is strongly prohibited, but if you can get your hands on some pills, then the use of these pills is not punished.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 13:26

The fact that I could buy CHCl3 from some dodgy supplier as an individual isn't important. The point is its illegal.

There are many formamides and none of them is on the UK poisons list (which is probably required to mimic the EU one very closely) otherwise Google would find them.
There's probably a reason for it. While many laws are totally arbitrary, the UK list of poisons rather dully only lists the nasty (and relatively common) ones so its no great suprise that DMF seems not to be on it. I haven't got the EU equivalent but if someone can provise a link I'm sure many of us would like a look.
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 14:51

Chloroform and benzene can not be used in "substances and preparations placed on the market for sale to the general public"

This just seems to forbid selling to everyone. Selling only to some particular individuals who have certain properties ( like being chemistry teacher or keen hobbyst ) is not selling to general public. There may be other laws that forbid any selling to any individual but this probably is not one of them.

Laws in modern world are so complex and messed up that you will never know for sure what is legal and what not.

[Edited on 9-10-2005 by chromium]
Madandcrazy
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 27-1-2006 at 08:39

Some suggestions to my last Topic which was closed by vulture. This thread was not found by me in the forum.

Is the formic acid usful for the suggestion, decompose it by continuing with
NaOH, the synthesis ends with the known reaction or is the synthesis possile with
n.n-dimethylchloromethane ?

O=COOH + ClCH2N(CH3)2 + NaOH(sat.)
-->
O=CHOCH2N(CH3)
O=CHCH2N(CH3)
or
O=CHN(CH3)2

A incursion is using chloroamin and formamide for a step of the synthesis subtitute
the NH2 group with the Hydrogen atom.
O=CH-NH2 + NH2Cl
-->
O=CH-NHNH2
-->
O=CH-N(NH2)2

[Edited on 27-1-2006 by Madandcrazy]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2006 at 07:06

"O=COOH "
Pardon?
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-1-2006 at 16:00

DMF is a high boiling industrial solvent, 140oC. Handled with caution it should be OK. You should try not to inhale the vapours, I think is worse for a woman but it is bad for everyone.

mick
Madandcrazy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2006 at 07:30

Excuse me unionised for the error in the formula, formic acid of course O=COH.

I mean the possibilty in the reaction or the decomposition of the formic acid.

O=HCOH + NaOH + ClHN(CH3)2
-->
O=HCOH + NaOH + ClCH2N(CH3)2
OH-CHOClCH2N(CH3)2

more is when for instance chloromethane is reakted with
the chloroamin or the formamide in a spezial ;) solvent to the

ClNHCH3 or O=CHNHCH3

[Edited on 2-2-2006 by Madandcrazy]
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 1-2-2006 at 08:22

What the... ? Formic acid is H-(C=O)-OH ! :o

I forsee a neutralization, a loud *BANG*, and a cloud of (possibly) noxious gases in the route you propose.

Oh, and some of your valences are just plumb wrong.

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Madandcrazy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 07:38

Yes you have absolute right for my errors posting about formlas H-(C=O)-OH sparky, you know something about cooling by careful neutralizating a chemical reaction with a acid.

I meant in this thread only some about DMF or any useful
chemicals for futher ;) syntheses like n,n-diaminoformamide.

[Edited on 2-2-2006 by Madandcrazy]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top