Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: The WORST BOOKS Ever Written
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 06:50

If you are lucky enough to ever find it:

NOTES on MILITARY EXPLOSIVES, Written by Erasmus Weaver (1909!) One of the 1st books published by Wiley (& Sons, Inc.) 382 pp Extremely well made, was text book from Military Collage in Southern US.

Obtained was a 4th edition from 1918. dates of past editions were '09, '12', '17. All are beatifully bound in the old style of book binders fom the past.
The book is a compendium of what was used as the military standard at the turn of the century and how they weere manufactured. Most of the primary explos material is devoted to mercury fulminate but the techniques described are fantastic ("fulmination concepts")! Some of the little details are worth every penny of the price of this collector's book. (It's available only through rare book dealers). There is a great deal of space devoted to nitric esters and most of the materials are "garden variety" - HOWEVER, this is a well thought out volume with enough detail in manufacturing in it to please a jaded reader. That is not to say it is not somewhat introductory but it has enough information on hand to make it more that an "intro" type work.
What is most interesting is this is the period of histroy that words started to change in the sciences. One quickly notices the mixing of "nitre of Barium" and related descriptions. Background on manufacturing is good, details on applied use of energetics (i.e. Blaster's Manual" type material) is also well done. All in all it's damn interesting fom a historical perspective and there are tid-bits of good info available. ---- (Rare Book) special order via Albris or Chatham Book Sellers.

quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2006 at 07:21

I just got a copy of "The PENTAERYTHRITOLS" American Chemical Society Monograph Series, by Berlow, Barth, & Snow. 1958 Rienhold Publishing. - - This was a tough one to get. Hard bound well preserved book that is nearly 50 yrs old. Very old library copy in fair condition. (Don't ask what it cost...I collect this stuff :P ).
Chapters deal with Preperation, physical properties, anayysis, oxidation, reduction, pyrolysis, reaction with inorganic reagents. Chapter on nitrates, amines, halides, ethers, acetals, esters, etc. 17 in all. 300+ pages.
This is a older monograph series and containes most if not all of what someone would want to know regarding the compound if you plan on working outside the given perameters of documentation. It -=IS=- almost 50 yrs old and is quite generalist in approach. but if one has little background (like me) in solid alcohols this is wonderful. What I like the best is that the sighting at the close of each chapter gives patent references. What I liked the least is that the notation is in a style typical of the 1950's.
If one has a yearning to know most all the uses of pentaerythritol in industry and the wonderful way it could be used in the future, this will be a quick read. As a society the west uses possibly hunderds of tons of pentaerythritol a year (extrapolated from 1950's usage). There are various grades of this material and it's availablity is enormous. Worth the time to hunt it down? Yes for a collector. Not a casual glance. Moderatly rare I believe.

tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 01:00

No point scavenging for books. Just download an ebook with any P2P software i think this is illegal, though, and not reliable
Boomer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 04:00

If all people were like you there would be no ebooks! :mad:

And good luck finding Paul W. Cooper "Explosive Engineering", Malvin E. Cook "The Science of High Explosives" or Per-Anders Persson "Rock Blasting and Explosive Engineering" online. All I know is that Cooper's "Introduction..." has been scanned lately.

These are all in print, with editions from the last years, and can be ordered from your local book shop. Cooper cost me 20 bucks LESS than from the ISEE site this way (IIRC 130$).

The biggest fun is getting old/rare books, e.g I have the complete Escales series sans "Black Powder". Want a PDF? It's the original German version sorry!
phj
Harmless

Mood: inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 04:29

Quote:
Origineel gepost door daeron
agreed i dont want to discriminate against the religious wuns,but cmon if one is educated and really into science dont those quite simple and dogmatic answers that start and end with GOD sound a bit too simple and retarder for a person versed in the scientific method.

Isn't there a religion versus science topic on Sciencemadness?

Personally I think the contents of the Bible are true.
But I see myself as a scientist too.
That's because science and religion, in my opinion, don't have to interfere with each other.

Have you read the entire Bible already?
If not: may I ask you what your opinion is based upon?

I would like to discuss about this, but maybe we have to start a new thread.

[bewerken aan 3-7-2007 door phj]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 04:51

Phj, that post of daeron (and also Quince, who started this) is too retarded to spend your time on. Some people never go beyond infancy.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
nitro-genes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 05:12

Experience tells me it is very difficult to discuss religion for the simple reason that you are a believer or not. It would be an equally pointless discussion when it comes to which colour people like better. That is why these discussions usually end in a quarrel without any meaningful comments. I'm quite sure these type of discussions can be generally found on the net, so I doubt SM is the right place...

@ Boomer:

I wouldn't mind catching up on my German! :D
Blackpowder has always continued to fascinate me...

[Edited on by nitro-genes]
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 06:41

Quote:
[...]so I doubt SM is the right place...

Exactly!

tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 07:33

I wouldn't say the bible is the worst book, some facts are actually correct, Noah's ark perfectly floated when tested in labs!
phj
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 07:38

Or how about the first world war that commenced exactly in 1914, as predicted by Daniƫl?

But we're getting a little off-topic now.
Let's discuss about the worst book again.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 15:46

"Answers that start and end with GOD"? (with relation to the Bible). What about the Koran, claimed to have been ghost-written by Dog-Spelled-Backwards (the false god of Islam), and claimed by Muslim suicide bombers as justification for going around killing as many other people and themselves as possible, on promises of a free trip to Paradise with 72 virgins? That would surely make the Koran surely the deadliest book around; never mind textbooks on explosives.
phj
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 23:14

Quote:
Origineel gepost door JohnWW
...free trip to Paradise with 72 virgins?

Sometimes I wonder why they're still virgin...
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 23:35

Shall we stop making a mockery of Islam? I don't like it if others make a mockery of my religion (Christianity), but then one also should not make a mockery of other's religion.

Let's go back to the topic of pyrobooks and related stuff. There is already too much detritus in this thread.

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2007 at 05:07

But why be so sectarian , here's a hindu point of view _
" As i see it, faith is belief without reason . For those who believe, no explaination is necessary; for those do not, no explaination is possible." -Verghese Kurien
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verghese_Kurien

Or perhaps that of a statesman of the English gentry
" A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
Let's go back to the topic of pyrobooks and related stuff. There is already too much detritus in this thread.

- Good thought

quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2007 at 06:27

Legard had released a 3rd edition of the Preparatory Manual of Explosives. Legard has done quite a few of his "Preparatory Manuals" but the 1st and 2nd editions of the Explosives text had some glaring issues regarding his lack of accuracy siting the patents from which he drew from.

I have not had a chance to check if some of the sited patents were accurate (numerically, anyway) but he did add some items that made a well rounded text. He uses LuLu's as a "per-unit" publisher and this is somewhat interesting. The use of LuLu's started during the release of the "Preparatory Manual of Black Powder & Pyrotechnics" and some folks think that with the whole terrorism issue none of the smaller publishers want to risk another "Hit-Man" law suite.

Quality-wise I wanted to comment that I enjoy the effort that he had put into his past projects. I don't think that he had always been satisfied with them......I've never talked with him; but I think he could do better than some of his past efforts......he seemed rushed to completion....just my opinion. The 3rd edition seems to be his best and if someone were to buy any of his books I would suggest that one as a starter as it's better organized. The Pyrotechnics book was terribly organized, with one page or section seeming to end at the end of a page but really was continued on the other side. THAT seemed like a rush job.
mfilip62
pierced by a crossbow under a bridge while eating Billy goats

Mood: I like turtles!

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 08:58

Quote:
Originally posted by Quince
Help for what? Like the great physicist Steven Weinberg said, "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
:mad:

Yes,a Jew!
And we all know what those Jewish smartasses leaded by satan want to make of christianity,nations,and sacrifice their own people to acquire some profit and influence!

And if you are soo dumb to belive those craps please keep it for yourselve!;)

Just despicably smartass like this kike cann said that science and religion are divided and present those and alike deviant thoughts trought mass media!

If You ask me,all of them need to be lined up in the front of the wall and shoot and all of their books need to be burned,
becouse those,not bible are spring of the evil,pain and suffering!
nitro-genes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 09:47

Nobody can probably blame you for expressing this opinion after the dreadfull things that happened in your birth country, though there are many members on SM having other religions, who have nothing to do with the things that happened over there and would be seriously offended by your post. Religion itself isn't bad because like with a gun it's eventually the individual that decides what to do with it...

SM really isn't the place for these kind of debates, so please stop provocating. It isn't helping anybody anyway...
StevenRS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 15:41

I liked were this thread was going... Until I got 1/2 way down the first page.:mad:
I don't have any bad books to comment on, but I have a pretty good one, The Chemistry of Powder and explosives. I describes in great detail exactly what is happening in the explosions of MANY different compounds, not only describing how to make them.

[Edited on 3-1-2008 by StevenRS]
quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2008 at 06:09

"DETONATORS, ELECTRICAL DETONATORS & PRIMERS for HIGH EXPLOSIVES": Hall, Howell, Taylor, Cope. - is a re-print of the USBoM working papers of tests done at the turn of the twentieth century. The US Bureau of Mines had some extensive testing programs and some of their people developed some mechanisms that are still utilized today. The value of this re-print is profound from both a historical and practical standpoint. The book is a collection of USBoM bulletins that deal with both developmental data and material testing. The collection is subject specific and covers the major detonators (blasting caps, etc) of the day. The chemicals utilized during this time were diverse as it was around 1906 that mercury fulminate was found to be just too environmentally sensitive & toxic. Thus, there were those testing programs that dealt with some pretty strange primaries (this may be where you can find actual testing of practical uses of the diverse picrates, HMTD, etc, etc).
Remembering that this was prior to numeric modeling and was basically a period of industrial applications of energetic chemistry (pre-WWI), the material could be useful in
understanding some of the more complex studies of primaries today.

Don't look for this one to be scanned by some child and thrown around; it's not too easy to find. One issue that is troublesome is that there APPEARS TO BE LITTLE ORDER TO THE PRESENTATION OF THE BULLETINS. There is some really interesting material here but it's hidden in the minutia of EXTENSIVE sand-bomb and lead block testing.
It's a rather expensive book for what is essentially just re-prints of USBoM material ($65) but has some merit and is a great source for continued searching through the Dept. of the Interior's now defunct Bureau. ..Worth a look.

[Edited on 21-1-2008 by quicksilver]
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 25-3-2008 at 23:24

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
For example: The Prepretory Manual of Explosives, J. Ledgard, while being a very interesting and well thought out text has an enormous amount of typos in it. While I certainly don't think it's a poor work by any means, there are omissions in it that are very serious. One very serious issue therein is in Chapter 20 where the preperation for ammonium chlorate is listed. NO WHERE in there is any caution listed for the sensitivity and unique issues entailed in production of AC. Unfortunatly (including the amount of typos) spoiling a potentially good work.

That's probably a good one to put up there. It gives a procedure that claims to produce copper fulminate from Cu(NO3)2 in HNO3 and EtOH.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 17:47

The Jolly rogers cook book is pretty bad, rumor has it that he blew his own thumbs off doing some of the stuff in it...
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 22:22

anything by Ayn Rand

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 28-3-2009 at 00:15

In the course of a literature search I accidently came across this book with the strange title "Kings Chem Guide"

[email=]books.google.com.au/books?isbn=1411659236[/email]

Meeting statements such as

Quote:
enzymes have a particular attracation for substances like carbohydrates

and, this very funny, explanation of fractional distillation

Quote:
Distillation takes advantage of the vapour densities of the various components of gasoline. Vapours of liquid with lower densities will condense higher up in the apparatus. The pentane fraction will condense at the highest mark due to its density being less than hexane ...

my initial thought was the author was a dabbler with no real understanding of chemical theory but with at least a good practical understanding. There are excellent experimentalists like that.

However then I read the totally original account of PCl3 preparation below, where calcium and phosphorus exposed to oxygen for some reason unite with each other rather than forming the far more energetically favourable oxides CaO and P2O5, which are some of the most stable oxides in chemistry, and it seems the author never did what he is describing.

It appears the book is a flight of fantasy, a compilation of what the author imagined should work never having done the work, or understood the theory. Possibly he picked up some gossip, read some stuff on the internet, balanced a few equations. The 'recepies' for a few drugs and pyro precursors suggests his aim was at the clandestine and (tiny) amateur market. I have never seen anything like it. People often write misleading rubbish but to have someone publish a whole book of the stuff must be some sort of record.

Here's one more joke, a caviat to the phosphide preparation in an open crucible with a bunsen burner

Quote:
Note: some elemental phosphorus may be liberated in the reaction so use proper ventilation

PCl3 from calcium phosphide.JPG - 112kB

[Edited on 28-3-2009 by len1]

[Edited on 28-3-2009 by len1]
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 03:48

Below is a snapshot of a 'distillation' setup from Ledgard's Kings Guide to Chem - its very original - one never sees arrangements like that, its interesting to find out why.

concept.JPG - 49kB

The author states the setup is based on a density differential. It is well known that vapours of higher density lie below those of lower density, for instance chlorine vapours will stay inside an upright container open to the air for a long time because chlorine is heavier than air. So why doesnt this distillation setup work?

When the gas mixture boils off from the liquid surface it is essentially a thorough mix of the ingredients, whats required is that they now segregate on the way up according to density. Boyancy force drives the segregation, if the mass difference of two molucules is delM

F = delM g

For simplicity assume the height of the segregation vessel is H = 10cm. Then for ten atomic units mass difference the energy difference = force x distance is

del E = delM g H ~ 10^-26 10 0.1m = 10^-26J

while the 1D kinetic energy with which the molecules are thermally agitated is

E = 0.5 k T ~ 3 10^-21J

the ratio of gravitational to thermal energy is about 300000!

Its clear no separation of any note will be achieved this way. A mixture of different density gases in the lab will stay a mixture!

The probability of finding a particle of energy E in an isothermal system is proportional to

e^-E/kT

so roughly the probability of a heavier particle being at the top rather than the bottom of such a segregation collumn is about

0.5 e^-delE/kT ~ 0.5 - 0.000001

so no difference at all!

The question arises why do gases segregate in the lab - CO2 for instance clings to the floor?

It seems the diffusion coefficients for gases are fairly small, and their viscosity sufficient so that convection predominates diffusion. A clump of chlorine gas generated in a flask,will 'fall' to the floor due to convection arising from internal viscosity. But that is not the thermodynamically stable state - eventually it will mix evenly with the air in the room.

[Edited on 30-3-2009 by len1]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 12:23

Quote:

A clump of chlorine gas generated in a flask,will 'fall' to the floor due to convection arising from internal viscosity. But that is not the thermodynamically stable state - eventually it will mix evenly with the air in the room.

Len1 you have explained what has long puzzled me: The conflict between these statements: "All gases mix to a homogeneous mixture" and "heavier gases sink to the floor."

I, too, naievely I guess, thought that density was the driving force for the 2nd statement. So, are you saying too that a hot gas rises, as say in a mirage, because the viscosity of the colder air is less?

A related observation also has puzzled me. Some observers have said that upstream air in a vent was contaminated by another gas introduced downstream. I resolved this in my own mind as due to diffusion at the staionary boundary layer along the duct wall. Does this seem a reasonable explanation?

Sorry for the off-topicness but I had to ask.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top