Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Redox Chemistry, a little help please?
Fried Zygote Sandwich
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2005 at 00:38
Redox Chemistry, a little help please?

I'm pretty tired right now so I'm not thinking very clearly so this is probably stupidly simple, but I've got a bit of a hangup on a question I'm doing.

I'm suppposed to balance this equation assuming it's in an acid solution (in the presence of H+ ions)

2CuS(s) + HNO3 --> Cu(NO3)2 + H20 + NO (g) + S (s)

Ordinarily I'd balance the half reactions (excluding H and O), add H20 to compensate for O, H+ to compensate for H, and electrons to compensate for charge. But this equation already seems half done. The H2O has been accounted for, etc.

I tried just straight up balancing the equation but it's sort of unruly. Trying to break it apart into the half reactions also gave me troubles. Any ideas?
Thanks.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-10-2005 at 04:09

3CuS + 8HNO3 ---> 3Cu(NO3)2 + 4H2O + 2NO + 3S

How I did this?

Just write linear equations for all of the elements.

x CuS + y HNO3 ---> p Cu(NO3)2 + q H2O + r NO + s S

For Cu: x == p
For S: x == s
For H: y == 2*q
For N: y == 2*p + r
For O: 3*y == 2*3*p + q + r

Now you have 5 equations with six unknowns. Take one of the unknowns equal to 1 and then solve the set of equations. In the resulting solution, multiply, such that all solutions become integers.

What I described above is the 'highschool-level' method. I have written a program, which can do all these things automatically. The program works along the lines I scetched above, but it uses the more general concept of null-space of a matrix. That concept is not suitable for hand-calculations, but very useful for writing a computer program.

Here follows a link to my program. Feel free to play around with it.

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/chemeq/index.html

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 14-10-2005 at 12:00

Solving redox equations simply mathematically is dangerous. Half reactions are the way to go.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Fried Zygote Sandwich
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-10-2005 at 13:43

How would I create half equations for this?
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 15-10-2005 at 14:26

3CuS --> 3Cu2+ + 3S + 6e-

8H+ + 2NO3- + 6e- --> 2NO + 4H2O
---------------------------------------
3CuS + 8H+ + 2NO3- ----> 3Cu2+ + 3S + 2NO + 4H2O
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-10-2005 at 22:38

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Solving redox equations simply mathematically is dangerous. Half reactions are the way to go.

I only agree, if you do not know the reaction products very well. The chemistry part is determining what is formed, when certain reactants are mixed under certain conditions.

Once, you KNOW your products, then the purely methematical way of solving the equation is a guaranteed sure fire, no misses at all, although for handwork it may not be the easiest one. The computer program I've written, however, does not have a table of of halfreactions (even better, it can generate half reactions :D if you know the products).

Another advantage of using the mathematical method is that it imemdiately detects possible non-stoichiometry in a reaction.

The reaction we are talking about here is a good example.

In reality you will get NO and NO2, depending on conditions. More concentrated acid will give NO2.

If you attempt to solve the equation, with both NO and NO2 at the right hand side, then an infinity of solutions is possible (try it!). The mathematical solution sees that the null-space of the coefficient matrix has dimension larger than 1 and hence gives a warning. My program also detects that and gives a warning and provides N independent solutions, with N being the dimension of the solution-space.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top