Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Are you a real mad scientist?
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2005 at 19:07
Are you a real mad scientist?

We have come to a point were serious scientist are aiming for actually find a cure aging!
Just the thing that there are sane people that have a such goal, and think it could be realisable is for me wonderfull, amazing and inceadible.

The Great Guru in the field, Abrey de Grey outlines more specificly what has to be done here..
http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/

If you are a real mad (bio)scientist maybee the the antiaging movement would be something for you..

..join the Immortality institute..
http://www.imminst.org/
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2005 at 18:51

I've looked into it enough to realize that, even right now, today, for the "average" person at least, it seems possible to slow aging somewhat, and to do it relatively easily and painlessly; IOW, there is some "low-hanging fruit".

As I see it, if the fascists don't wipe out humanity first, it seems reasonable to speculate that there will be significant advances in stem cell technology, nanomedicine, etc., in the next few decades, resulting in a dramatic increase in human life span.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 15:49

This is probably worth a new topic, but I already have it as a topic on other forums because my goal is to creative awareness and understanding of aging, but anyways!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah_Mouse_Prize
http://www.mprize.org

All right, I think its is a topic of interest to all. I would like to start discussing ideas as to how to make Mus musculus, also known as common house mice, live longer. I am interested in trying, I have read many articles on some of the ways on making a mouse live longer, as well as anythings from fruit flies to worms, but I would also like some more ideas, perhaps I have missed an article or two, etc.

I'm not sure I have enough commitment to a mouse for several years, but I would still like to try and do something. However, even if I don't perhaps I could interest some of you guys to donate, or perhaps try experiments as well. I suppose this thread may only help increase awareness but I would like for it to also help out the Methuselah project in one way or another.

Check out this TED talk from Aubrey De Grey.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/speakers/view/id/34

In a little while I will add some articles I have found on life extension, etc. However, right now is not the best time for me to do so.

Anyways! lets get to discussing on how to increase lifespan of Mus musculus!

[Edited on 28-12-2007 by kclo4]

[Edited on 28-12-2007 by kclo4]

biochemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 20:03

Sirtis Pharmaceuticals should have some interesting stuff going into human trials pretty soon.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 23:48

This would mean we have the intelligence to extend life while lacking the wisdom to control birth rates. Don't you find this rather alarming? If primitive religeons still control the politics of population we're doomed to resource wars and continuing mass extinctions.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
-jeffB
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 08:01

Quote:
Originally posted by biochemist
Sirtis Pharmaceuticals should have some interesting stuff going into human trials pretty soon.

SIRT1 activator?

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biotech/19776/
-jeffB
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 08:17

Quote:
Originally posted by chemrox
This would mean we have the intelligence to extend life while lacking the wisdom to control birth rates. Don't you find this rather alarming? If primitive religeons still control the politics of population we're doomed to resource wars and continuing mass extinctions.

We've already extended life while lacking the wisdom to control birth rates. When people can count on longer, healthier lives, they seem to start having fewer children. I don't know if I'd attribute this to "wisdom", but it does happen.

Me, I'm not greedy. I just want to extend my life long enough to get myself uploaded. There'll be plenty of computational room for everybody by the latter part of this century. At that point, the grand moral/ethical debate will be over how many virtual instances of yourself you're allowed to spin off.

I like meat, but I'd rather not die as it.
Spargine
Harmless

Mood: superposition

[*] posted on 9-2-2008 at 23:42

Finding a cure to aging is hardly mad science, giving yourself glow-in-the-dark-skin by incorporating luciferases into your genome is.:)

@Chemrox, public health officials used that same argument against vaccination in Pasteur's time. Overpopulation can be solved with a bit of (ethical) chemistry. Once we figure out how to synthesize REALLY REALLY long carbon nanotubes, we will be able to build an elevator to space and start shipping people off to space colonies.

@jeffB the main moral/ethical debate is not about spinning off multiple copies of yourself, but if the uploaded version of you would actually be you. So far we are doing fairly well at simulating neurons, but we need to know more about hormonal and other interactions with neurons before we can upload you. Oh yeah, and current subcellular brain scanning technology results in destruction of your original brain.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/01/connec...
more on the scanner
http://www.mcb.harvard.edu/lichtman/ATLUM/ATLUM_web.htm

My response to are you a mad scientist, YES!
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 14:54

I want to glow :) will it make me live longer probably not but a least I wouldnt
get lost in the dark.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 12:28

I would just like to point out that curing aging is pointless. There's no cure for death. And there never can be one. No matter how advanced medicine gets (within reason... re-assembling atoms into your body is not medicine), it can never bring you back to life after you get liquified in a horrible giant blender related accident.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2008 at 13:44

Ageing is caused by a combination of the shortening of the telomeres - the terminator strands at the ends of DNA chains - and damage to DNA by free-radicals, both of which ultimately result in DNA being unable to replicate and thence cells being unable to grow and divide to replace cells that die (thus limiting cells to an average of about 50 divisions before they can no longer do so).

The latter can be greatly reduced by use of anti-oxidants and avoidance of exposure to ionizing radiation. The former theoretically can only be prevented, and cured, by somehow inducing cells to switch on production of the enzyme telomerase. So far as is known, this happens spontaneously only in cancer cells (which can divide without limit, making cancers effectively "immortal"), and in reproductive cells (ova and sperm). The Geron Corporation in California is supposed to be foremost in research into the possibility of telomerase production in normal cells.

As for "mad scientists": - made in what sense of the word? It can mean: insane or deranged or lunatic; or angry or enraged or abnormally furious, or extremely foolish or unwise; or overcome by desire or enthusiasm; or wildly excited or frantic; or infected with rabies. Which sort of scientist (or engineer, or medical doctor, for that matter) would you prefer?
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 8-3-2008 at 19:15

While I think it would be nice to live longer, I would far rather live happily.

As for what bfesser said, I am in agreement. No cure for death.

Entropy is cruel indeed.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 20:36

Quote:
Originally posted by bfesser
I would just like to point out that curing aging is pointless. There's no cure for death. And there never can be one. No matter how advanced medicine gets (within reason... re-assembling atoms into your body is not medicine), it can never bring you back to life after you get liquified in a horrible giant blender related accident.

Pointless?
haha is curing aids, cancer and everything els pointless?

Would you rather live a life where you never get old, and then one day die in a horrible blender accident, or one where you slowly get old, get diabetes, weak bones, lose your hair, teeth, eye sight, memory, etc?

Also, as Fleaker said; "While I think it would be nice to live longer, I would far rather live happily."

even a life with out aging, if it were the same length, i would bet would be a happier life.

Anyways, i am pretty sure they are going to cure aging in a relativtly short time, after all, they have all sorts of things to make different animals live many times there own lifespan. The best is with yeast which they have made live 10 times longer!
Thats like 790 in human years!
Also, for those who are interested in the studies they have done, perhaps you'd like checking this out:
http://uwaging.org/genesdb/#interventions

Sorry, if i shouldnt embed videos, but this is a great video!
please watch it

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-4336018714668472419&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

Oh yeah, and Wolfram, I am a member of http://www.imminst.org/ as well!
what a great site that is!
sbovisjb1
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 19:21

I would think that you are only a "Mad Scientist" when you have tested novel psychoactive reagents upon yourself. :D:o

\"Chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost maniacal
impulse to seek their pleasures amongst smoke and vapour, soot and flames,
poisons and poverty, yet amongst all these evils I seem to live so sweetly
that I would rather die than change places with the King of Persia.\"
-- Johann Joachim Becher
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 21:06

Quote:
Originally posted by sbovisjb1
I would think that you are only a "Mad Scientist" when you have tested novel psychoactive reagents upon yourself. :D:o

Only if the purpose is to somehow advance knowledge but more then likely you just want to get high and while I don't particularly dislike people who use psychoactive substances I do dislike people who use them then claim its for science or "the greater good."

Quote:

If Science can't live without Jews, then We(Germans), will have to live without Science - Adolf Hitler.

You sicken me.

Quote:

While I think it would be nice to live longer, I would far rather live happily

Definitely, many people seem to think being super rich or living forever is what they want but when they get it they aren't very happy.

"There are two tragedies in this world not getting what you want, and getting it"

Quote:

Anyways, i am pretty sure they are going to cure aging in a relativtly short time

I very much doubt it, people have been saying that for a long time with one miracle cure after another we can prolong life...to a point.

I have no cure for aging and I don't pretend to know much about it but what I can say is many people have grown old and died looking for a way to prevent it.

DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 05:11

Quote:
Originally posted by bfesser

So say you live happily to 80. You don't think it would be nice to live happily to 120 before dying instead? We're not talking about curing death here, just slowing down aging and putting off the enevitable for a bit longer. You know - you can see your great grandchildren grow up, be amazed by the new advances in science etc..

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 10:21

"Yes, but why stop there?" is then going to happen. People will start saying the same thing about the age of 120. And when does it stop?

Brain overload. There must be some point at which the human brain will simply become so full it won't take any more in. Senility already occurs, imagine the state of such people that elderly.

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 12:20

Which is thus another component of aging. ;)

For better or for worse, human evolution is probably going to proceed via "artificial" means.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 12:55

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
Which is thus another component of aging. ;)

For better or for worse, human evolution is probably going to proceed via "artificial" means.

Tim

I agree completely, humans will continue to improve themselves and their living conditions through the use of technology--this is the way humans have evolved to function.

Infact, scientists have already developed the framework and derivative chemicals for a computer that would be able to process at the speed of the human brain, in a two inch-by-two inch cube:
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/10/748041.asp...
http://www.primidi.com/2002/10/27.html
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12817413.000-science-m...

A small implant based on this technology, once brain-computer-interfaces are more developed, may be able to double a human's processing and memory capability. This is provided humans even choose to remain in a biological body; I'd rather not stay in something so fragile, so as to avoid the aforementioned "blender accidents." At the very least, an Iain M. Banks situation could occur where one's consciousness is simply backed up, and a new body is grown for the person.

My favorite interpretation of anti-aging research is one of the most common: That we essentially need to treat the human body as an engineering problem--what parts can be fixed, we will fix, if anything needs replacing we will replace it. (Artificially grown organs, implants, etc.)

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
sbovisjb1
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 13:48

Quote:

If Science can't live without Jews, then We(Germans), will have to live without Science - Adolf Hitler.

Wait what! I didn't even see that. The only way that I could have SOMEHOW put that in my quote was when I was reading a book on Hitlers Scientists and I saw that quote. :o I am Jewish and am very proud of that fact (and German at that) :( How could that have gotten in my signature?

\"Chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost maniacal
impulse to seek their pleasures amongst smoke and vapour, soot and flames,
poisons and poverty, yet amongst all these evils I seem to live so sweetly
that I would rather die than change places with the King of Persia.\"
-- Johann Joachim Becher
Skrinkle
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 23-6-2008 at 13:24

I wouldn't mind only living to age 70 or 80 if i could still have a nimble and healthy brain.

hooray ampakines!!!
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 11:23

^chemrox you are correct sir "every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great and, if a sperm gets wasted God gets quite irate!" so don't jack off if you fear god.

did you see the monty python production where the irish catholic family had too many childeren: thinking contraception was a sin and, as a result selling all thier childeren to science?
hillarious.

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by jon]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 11:52

Quote:
so don't jack off if you fear god.

Well, I understand Christine O'Donnell has, since having it explained to her that masturbation and pederasty are not the same thing, dropped her opposition to this popular, er, passtime . . .

jon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 12:43

well christine o'donnell has no business running on the platform she is on where is her resolve to judeo christian mores?
theres another study done about the shape of the phallus and why the foreskin has the form it does.
and three different countries participated.
the u.s. spent 430,000 dollars and concluded it was to give pleasure to the opposite sex the u.k. came to the same conclusion after spending 100,000 pounds sterling
the austrailians spend 15 dollars australlian and, concluded thier findings;
so when a man masturbates his hand does'nt slip and whack himself upside his forehead.

here we go the roman catholic who sold his family to science

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47P59ha9k9s&feature=relat...

jon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 13:33

now if you swing the opposite way could shop at sex criminal fashions for such things as paedophille beards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15S0g8pG6HU&feature=relat...

on a related note: no i am not jon lajoie

Pages:  1  

Go To Top