Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: from a secret admirer
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 14-4-2008 at 06:06

Where I am, AN requires a permit from the Ministry of Industry to buy, while nitric acid is unrestricted.

Almost 20 years ago I wanted to blue some steel (firearms related) and the traditional recipe for bueing salts is a mixture of AN and lye (caustic soda NaOH) - quite concentrated and at a high temperature. But I could not buy the AN to do this. If I had been in the USA I could have just ordered a fiber drum of the blueing salys from Brownells but here, other side od the Pacific, I just wanted to mix my own. No dice.

Obviously this restriction is based on security concerns over diversion of AN to prepare improvised explosives.

I can probably buy AR grade NH4NO3 in Kg quantities, I am not sure, as I have never tried. But obviously that would be inappropriate and uneconomical for a technical process like blueing steel. Buying a 25 Kg sack, simply was not on.

A similar situation exists in this part of the world viz KClO3. It is used to increase the yield of certain tropical fruit by commercial growers but the government restricts imports over security concerns similar to AN. So growers smuggle it in through Laos from Yunnan, Cina. I mean, by the multi-ton load. Occasionally illegal stocks of chlorate go off and people get killed. Also occasionally, terrorists divert chlorate from agricultural stocks (legal or not) and use it to make bombs. The bomb(s) in Bali a few years ago were principally chlorate mixtures.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2008 at 06:55

This is the first time I read that KClO3 is used in agriculture. Where could I find more information about it?

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2008 at 07:05

Perhaps the FAO (UN) or the USDA or the EU equivalent.

The application I know of is to up the yield of lamyai (longan) which is a small tropical fruit related to lychee.

Try this Google link, I just did a search on chlorate agriculture and got a lot of pertinent hits.

http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en&q=chlorate+agricult...

[Edited on 14-4-2008 by Sauron]

Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 14-4-2008 at 09:56

I knew (from my halcyon weed-cultivation days, curtailed by "legalised" state interference!) that chlorates can boost plant growth but I didn't know they can explode spontaneously in storage.
For that to occur I'd imagine there'd be some organic contamination present---or lots of anode-debris (just joking).
I found NaCl03 great fun though, back in its weedkilling days!
Even green-grocers stocked it, and selling by weight (the salt being wet) was a nice little earner!
Nostalgia imminent. . .

P
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2008 at 11:38

I'm sure it was a matter of an unfortunate admixture with some sort of fuel. You are correct, it would not have been spontaneous. And it was not a minor explosion. If memory serves more than a hundred people were killed. This occured in Chian Mai province, Thailand.

E-tech
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2008 at 11:31

The Bali bombings were chlorate and aluminum powder.
Wouldn't potassium nitrate work just as well as ammonium nitrate in the urea nitrate reaction?
-=HeX=-
Hazard to Others

Mood: Precipitating

[*] posted on 29-7-2008 at 00:48

The urea nitrate reaction here took me a lot of lost sleep to find.... But I dont mid that, for it is completely OTC :D many thanks to Roscoe (Mr. Anon.) For providing me with a method to make several kilos of high explosive. I have a question though: would 95% sulphuric acid work in place of the hydrochloric acid? Over here we do not have food stores and I only managed to smuggle over 1 litre of 23% this time. I think sulphuric would work, just how much should I use?

If you give a man a match he will be warm for a moment. Set him alight and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 29-7-2008 at 06:52

It looks like mr. annonomous got that hydrazine sulphate sythesis straight off this site, unless of course he wrote the site himself:
http://designer-drugs.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/h...
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 29-7-2008 at 07:53

Or unless the stoned people ripped the article of this site. It happends, you know...
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 29-7-2008 at 08:17

nope the article was published before the thread was posted...
If you check out my thread on making soidum azide via hydrazine wich is about 10 threads below this one cobrasniper555 wrote he knows the person who wrote that article.... hmmm!

[Edited on 29-7-2008 by Picric-A]
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 29-7-2008 at 09:27

I wouldn't trust that Mr. A fellow any further than I could throw him, and would definitely make subject to good verification anything that either he or that equally suspicious Rosco Bodine character might say:P:D:cool::o;)

IIRC the use of sulfuric instead of HCl for the urea nitrate reaction is complicated by a suspected double salt formation
or is otherwise just not as clean and straightforward. The
HCl method as described works better of the two from trying it both ways, and the HCl is cheaper.

[Edited on 29-7-2008 by Rosco Bodine]
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 31-7-2008 at 13:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodine
Hey Sauron , life is for learning .

The urea nitrate synth from Mr. A above works ,
I'll personally vouch for him :D

Then it's kind of like GB1429282 which uses 35% HCl , NaClO4 and urea to get urea perchlorate. They don't test it, but also claim KClO4 or NH4ClO4, and H2SO4 or HNO3 could work. Extraction is kind of a pain though.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 06:32

A friend of mine told me long ago something about a possible link between Mr. A and someone else on this thread. Double personality... for a nobile goal.
-=HeX=-
Hazard to Others

Mood: Precipitating

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 08:08

Ah now a_bab... Dont we all know who it is that has schizophrenia :p *Taps nose* but Damn Roscoe, I really like the azo clathrates, however I have not had the time, or stirring hotplate, to try them yet. Soon I will though and I will also be trying a silver variant too. I posed on roguesci about that a while back. Thanks for the advice on the sulphuric forming a double salt, I will source some more HCl soon. I sense a rather large bang on its way :D

If you give a man a match he will be warm for a moment. Set him alight and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 09:37

The silver probably won't form the lattice crystal like the basic lead salt will do. If you want a hotter azo-clathrate
just try the chlorate or perchlorate variant.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top