Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tour My Lab
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 04:04

Nice lab space j_sum1, I was hoping you would do a "Tour My Lab". most of my glassware and equipment is still packed away in storage containers otherwise I would put up some pics as well. the shelf above the work bench looks a bit scary, might be time for a new piece of timber?
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 13:43

Indeed, fine lab j_sum1! I like the 'rag' you have your ground glass sitting on, we used those all the time at the auto-shop I worked at.

Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 14:01

Cool lab j_sum1! I'm envious of that nice heating mantle. What is growing on the tree near your lab?

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 19:51

Thanks pinkhippo, tvc and nedshead.
I really needed a good solution for storing glassware because if I didn't, I'd end up stacking stuff on top of it and breaking it. Boxes with shaped polystyrene with the rag glued on top has turned out to be a really good solution.
The tree you see is a lemon. On the other side is a really prolific lime. I pruned a couple of metres off the top a few weeks ago. Just behind me in the photo is a mulberry. And on the ground are potatoes, parsley, mint, thyme, oregano, sage and a few flower bulbs -- and a bunch of weeds.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2016 at 08:21

A fine garden, then, indeed. I definitely want a lab-side gardden in the future. Also, some lab cats...

Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-1-2016 at 22:23

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
lab cats...

Maybe if you extract some nepetalactone...

[Edited on 1-14-2016 by Pinkhippo11]

http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-1-2016 at 05:20

lab dogs are more common than lab cats.

edit
btw, I haven't seen gardul around for a while.

[Edited on 14-1-2016 by j_sum1]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2016 at 16:28

Yeah, I don't think he's been here for a while. Max Gergel talks about lab cats a lot in his "Isopropyl bromide" book.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2016 at 12:23
Just showing off my humble table top lab

Still growing but I figured I'd share my lil work space and show off the new gear from Alchemy glass. This is a far cry from what I once have, back when I lived in the shitty (Ahhem, city) I had pretty well every thing stolen tools glass wear computers every thing so will need to spend serious cash befor I have a more functional set up (Need to build a proper desk / fume hood too) there are other things too but pointles showing pics of that (Epson salt, bicarb so on.)

The reagent jar is my purified and filtered sulfuric acid from drain cleaner, it goes from dark brown to off yellow oil! it is concentrated to 96.5%

Treat it with 200Ml of 35% peroxide then boil for 3h, once cool I filter it through fiber glass filter backed by fine stainless steel mesh.

Be for I filter it to the storage bottle I weigh out 100Ml to determine the % of concentration if below 95% I boil it longer till it is 95 or better %.

The wire you see is 30 guage NiChrome, and into the cap is 20 guage copper speaker wire.

The container on top of the truvia is purified Erythritol.

Any questions or comments are welcome. All so share your photos too. and mods if all ready such a thread please do move this post there.

full spread.jpg - 383kB glas wear 1.jpg - 285kB glas wear 2.jpg - 281kB product lables1.jpg - 301kB product lables 2.jpg - 151kB Clean acid!.jpg - 202kB
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 30-1-2016 at 12:40

Titebond?

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2016 at 13:01

Yup excellent glue for making the paper caps that I use, easy to clean up, it falls under the same title of the Nichrom, basically it is a purpose driven set up so it includes the stuff that the resulting chemicals are used with.

That's why I show a finished cap along with a blank shell and the nichrom.

Another really high quality strong glue is WeldBond, it is another water soluble glue used for general stuff.
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
30-1-2016 at 14:55
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 15:21

Nice lab photos. Good idea to write the tare value on the containers.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 16:09

TY. Ya nothing worse then trying to make sure you have enough reagent then lose chemical by putting it in another container to measure it out.

So to make life easy for my self I put the tare weight of container + lid, and tare of container no lid. That way you can know what you have precisely with out any mucking about!
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 16:27

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
TY. Ya nothing worse then trying to make sure you have enough reagent then lose chemical by putting it in another container to measure it out.

So to make life easy for my self I put the tare weight of container + lid, and tare of container no lid. That way you can know what you have precisely with out any mucking about!

A good plan. I usually do my final weighing when I make something I already have a lot of by taring the balance with the container and compound, but your method works great.

Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2016 at 19:30

Today I am proud to present something which has been in the works for the last few months: My Lab Version 2.0

It's been tough going without chemistry during construction, but I think I'll be able to make up for lost time with a hood which I purchased and refurbished, an additional table, and a craigslist deal which has left me with enough glass, chemicals, and equipment to last me several years.

Now, without further adieu, my new lab:

a4Q3Bi1.jpg - 274kB

ARhYpHr.jpg - 437kB

QgCQgB5.jpg - 330kB

JUs3VjA.jpg - 401kB

HyQXd0w.jpg - 638kB

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-2-2016 at 19:59

Your lab is awesome! That must be a 6' hood?

Do you have a sink? If not, you will surely want one.

[Edited on 22-2-2016 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2016 at 20:12

Thanks Magpie! It is indeed a 6' hood.

You're completely right about a sink, and I have a metal basin and faucet, although I still need to construct the table for it, and space is getting a little tight :(
Maybe I could sink it into the wooden table?

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 21-2-2016 at 20:26

Wow Zephyr, your old lab space was nice but this takes it to a whole new level.

Also, I like how you put one of your SM patches in every picture. :)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 08:12

Super cool. That hood actually has a working sash (much better than my homebuilt one). You even have a rotavap. (Where'd you get it? The Craigslist deal?)

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 10:11

I appreciate all the responses!
Thanks for noticing the patches Zach, there are still a few left if anyone wants to buy some...
Although I an saying goodbye to my old home made hood, I'm not too sad to see it go.
And you're correct, I did get the rotovap on craigslist, otherwise i would never have been able to afford it.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 11:05

Quote: Originally posted by Zephyr  
... I have a metal basin and faucet, although I still need to construct the table for it, and space is getting a little tight :(
Maybe I could sink it into the wooden table?

I think that is a good idea. You need table space beside the sink on which to set glassware before and after cleaning.

I recommend placing the sink as close as possible to the hood to save many steps.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 16:56

Zephyr, that's quite a chemical collection, where'd you obtain some of the larger, older stuff?

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 17:53

I may be getting a new lab space within the next couple of months too... we'll see. My dad wants to get a decent sized storage building and is willing to let me use half of it to get all of my stuff out of the corner of the garage that I currently use. It won't be a huge space, but it'll be better than what I have now and I'll probably be able to move most of my glassware out of my bedroom/bathroom where I currently store it too. I'm hoping to have a pretty big sink, and an exhaust fan if not a fume hood. I have a squirrel cage fan from our old air conditioner that should work quite well.

Unfortunately, I will only have a few months to enjoy the space on a regular basis before I move out for college, but I won't be far away, so weekend visits would be possible. :)

HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 23-2-2016 at 02:13

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I may be getting a new lab space within the next couple of months too... we'll see. My dad wants to get a decent sized storage building and is willing to let me use half of it to get all of my stuff out of the corner of the garage that I currently use. It won't be a huge space, but it'll be better than what I have now and I'll probably be able to move most of my glassware out of my bedroom/bathroom where I currently store it too. I'm hoping to have a pretty big sink, and an exhaust fan if not a fume hood. I have a squirrel cage fan from our old air conditioner that should work quite well.

Unfortunately, I will only have a few months to enjoy the space on a regular basis before I move out for college, but I won't be far away, so weekend visits would be possible. :)

Sounds good, especially the fumehood part. Say, why is that americans are so keen on moving out when they go to college? (other than to go interstate) in australia i have found it very different than what is shown on american media.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 23-2-2016 at 06:51

Well, for me at least, the closest good universities (including the one I will attend) are still about an hour long commute from where I currently live. If I was closer, I probably wouldn't move out. There's also the idea that it's good to live on campus your first year or two, so that you can get to know fellow students better and become more immersed in campus life.

Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  28

Go To Top