Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  28
Author: Subject: Tour My Lab
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2016 at 09:11

Living on my own at college was probably the best experience of my life. It prepares you to enter the real world and you're surrounded by hundreds of other people that are your same age group, and many of them share your interests. My parents are and home life was great, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 23-2-2016 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Well, for me at least, the closest good universities (including the one I will attend) are still about an hour long commute from where I currently live. If I was closer, I probably wouldn't move out. There's also the idea that it's good to live on campus your first year or two, so that you can get to know fellow students better and become more immersed in campus life.

Not to mention Coeds *cough*

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

farlepet
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-2-2016 at 13:27

Finally got around to cleaning my lab space:

IMG_0545.JPG - 2.2MB IMG_0546.JPG - 1.5MB IMG_0547.JPG - 2.3MB IMG_0548.JPG - 2.1MB IMG_0549.JPG - 1.4MB IMG_0550.JPG - 1.3MB IMG_0551.JPG - 1.2MB IMG_0552.JPG - 1.1MB
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 27-2-2016 at 10:22

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
Well, for me at least, the closest good universities (including the one I will attend) are still about an hour long commute from where I currently live. If I was closer, I probably wouldn't move out. There's also the idea that it's good to live on campus your first year or two, so that you can get to know fellow students better and become more immersed in campus life.

Not to mention Coeds *cough*

*cough* :D
I'd love to move out, but I probably will end up going to a local university, so it'll be tough to convince my parents of the profit of moving out...also the cost of board might be an issue, though I think there are some scholarships that can apply to dorms. Looking forward to going to a university, but I still have another year till graduation of high school...

Farlepet, you've got quite a nice, clean space there! You appear to do electronics work, too, which makes it hard to keep things clean and not cluttered...

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-4-2016 at 18:08

I may be getting a new lab space within the next couple of months too... we'll see. My dad wants to get a decent sized storage building and is willing to let me use half of it to get all of my stuff out of the corner of the garage that I currently use. It won't be a huge space, but it'll be better than what I have now and I'll probably be able to move most of my glassware out of my bedroom/bathroom where I currently store it too. I'm hoping to have a pretty big sink, and an exhaust fan if not a fume hood. I have a squirrel cage fan from our old air conditioner that should work quite well.

Unfortunately, I will only have a few months to enjoy the space on a regular basis before I move out for college, but I won't be far away, so weekend visits would be possible. :)
The new lab space I mentioned in the quoted post showed up last week. :D

I got everything moved over to it and I'm really loving the space. It's certainly motivating me to do chemistry every day now rather than just once a week or so. I haven't yet set up the sink or the fan, but hopefully that will be done by the end of next month before it starts getting really hot. I will post pictures of it (added on to this post) soon.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 23-4-2016 at 18:47

I can't wait to see it zts.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-4-2016 at 21:07

Now that I have less clutter and more privacy, I'm also thinking of starting to make YouTube videos. To keep me going for a while, I'm planning to make a series of videos that will culminate in running a Grignard. First I'll have distillation of bromine and preparation of phosphorus tribromide, next, bromination of an alcohol, then fractional distillation and drying of ether from starter fluid, and then finally preparation of a Grignard reagent and reaction of it with some carbonyl containing compound. I haven't decided on the alcohol or the carbonyl yet, there are many possibilities, and there isn't anything I'm trying to make in particular. I just want to do the reaction.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 23-4-2016 at 23:45

farlepet,
nice lab,
I see that you also combine chemistry and electronics hobbies,

keep your hydrochloric acid fumes away from your electronics and tools ... super efficient rusting !

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2016 at 09:15

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

keep your hydrochloric acid fumes away from your electronics and tools ... super efficient rusting !

heh, yeah, I was noticing that recently...

K2ArO7
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-5-2016 at 09:27

3 different labs.
First pic is my chemistry/electricity lab.
Second pic is my electronic lab.
Third pic is a portable suitcase lab.
These labs are to some degree used in my job, it is not all hobby!

615_7904.JPG - 96kB B15_1814.JPG - 105kB

[Edited on 15-5-2016 by K2ArO7]

[Edited on 15-5-2016 by K2ArO7]

316_3324.jpg - 120kB
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2016 at 09:39

Jealous of some of your labs :)
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2016 at 21:24

is that a WiseStir hotplate K2Ar07? I have one and really like it
K2ArO7
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-5-2016 at 07:31

Quote: Originally posted by NedsHead  
is that a WiseStir hotplate K2Ar07? I have one and really like it

That is correct, it really works nice.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2016 at 08:16

Quote: Originally posted by K2ArO7  
3 different labs.
First pic is my chemistry/electricity lab.
Second pic is my electronic lab.
Third pic is a portable suitcase lab.
These labs are to some degree used in my job, it is not all hobby!

Very impressive.

Welcome!

Firmware21
Harmless

Mood: Ņ͈̣̭̺̈ͬ͊̔i̓̿͑ͯ̂ͪ҉̸̺̀t͉̣͕͙̟̪̅͐͂̏͌ͭ͗̑͝ṙ̶̛̙̥̝̻̟̓ͬ̾ͧ͒͘ͅa͒͊ͯ̾̑̏̌̓̕҉͚͚͓͔͙͚̥t͆̌͑ͩ̐͗ ͖̻̲̪̲̙͘ͅe͙͕͙̙̤̤̫̒ͩͣ̅̊̍̉͒ͬ́͟ͅs͈̬̮̥̻͂ͥͨ̂ͮͨ͒́͠ !!!

[*] posted on 17-5-2016 at 13:00

Here's what i've got

There's an evident lack of sink and fumehood, which are subtituted by :
1. Going outside when needed
2. Cleaning the glassware in my designated W.C sink...

Also, there's this annoying carpet that i've already trashed with minor spills of reaction mixtures.

DSC_0118.JPG - 2.6MB DSC_0115.JPG - 2.7MB

Where I keep most of my glassware/stuff/Reagent (with the more nervous ones somewhere else...)

DSC_0093.JPG - 3MB DSC_0117.JPG - 3.2MB

This badass Soviet Era Centrifuge (Traded for a little glassware)

DSC_0116.JPG - 2.8MB

And some of my latest acquisitions :) (Second Hand Vol. Flasks)

DSC_0098.JPG - 2.2MB

DSC_0109.JPG - 2.9MB DSC_0105.JPG - 2.5MB
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2016 at 15:14

Cool labs K2ArO7, the first one looks like it could be on a boat, some kind of portable research lab. T'would be cool if it were :)
Firmware, that's a sweet centrifuge, and a cool lab in general! I like the lab-bedroom integration :D Not that I'd ever have one in my room, personally, but aesthetically appealing household labs are always cool, and something I want in the future.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 18-5-2016 at 03:06

Well, good news and bad news for me.

Looks like I am about to lose my lab for a while. I'll need to pack it up and it will be out of action for a bit.

The good news is that we are buying a new house -- that is, if our offer is accepted. I will be able to build a spacious dedicated space for a lab and won't have to share bench or storage space with other things. I'll probably acquisition a fridge-freezer at the same time. I can build a fume cupboard (assuming I can figure out a good place to vent to). So, watch this space for j_sum1_labspace 2.0 in a few months.

KodasLab
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-6-2016 at 16:41
My relatively new laboratory :)

Please excuse the messy fume hood and (temporary) chemical storage, I'm planning on getting a proper acid base cabinet eventually.

[Edited on 21-6-2016 by KodasLab]

bBkMM44_edit.jpg - 151kB

DSC03282_edit.jpg - 154kB

DSC03284_edit.jpg - 148kB

DSC03283_edit.jpg - 149kB

Edit: Reduced image size

[Edited on 7-5-2016 by zts16]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-6-2016 at 17:01

Wow. Nice space. I am inspired. (I'll be building myself a new space in a couple of months. I might pinch some of your ideas.)

As an aside, I am not sure how you embedded these pictures but they are oversized for my browser. If you edit your post and use the upload file feature at the bottom then they should resize appropriately while still allowing viewers access to the hi res if they need it.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-6-2016 at 11:18

Nice lab! Though the pictures probably need adjusting (I've done it too, though...)
Haha, is that a graduated cylinder I see with one of those things used to measure the density of ethanol to determine concentration? :)

Texium
Administrator
Thread Split
9-7-2016 at 06:12
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-12-2016 at 16:18

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Well, good news and bad news for me.

Looks like I am about to lose my lab for a while. I'll need to pack it up and it will be out of action for a bit.

The good news is that we are buying a new house -- that is, if our offer is accepted. I will be able to build a spacious dedicated space for a lab and won't have to share bench or storage space with other things. I'll probably acquisition a fridge-freezer at the same time. I can build a fume cupboard (assuming I can figure out a good place to vent to). So, watch this space for j_sum1_labspace 2.0 in a few months.

An update.

Here is my lab still in boxes. I spent a couple of hours last night sorting and labelling so theoretically I know where stuff is. The boxes on the table are an assortment of chems and equipment that I picked up at a garage sale. There is a lot of junk in there but also some nice chems. Behind the table is a dishwasher and drying oven.
2016-12-16 09.25.29.jpg - 1.2MB

And here is the lab space. A lot of work to do. The site is a breezeway under the house. Nice natural ventilation but I will still need to build a nice fume cupboard. The stumps in the ground are ironwood and I have no idea how deep they go. I expect to break a few saw teeth cutting them off. I think they once supported a water tank. There are also piles of waste concrete that will need to be broken up. Then I need to pour a concrete slab, line two of the walls, run some electricity, build benches and storage, install the sink and build the fume hood. The plan looks good in my brain but it will take a while.
2016-12-16 09.26.05.jpg - 1.4MB

Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 16-12-2016 at 03:09

Jsum those ironwood posts look like a challenge, the energetics lads would have a few suggestions for you!
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-12-2016 at 04:51

Quote: Originally posted by Chemetix  
Jsum those ironwood posts look like a challenge, the energetics lads would have a few suggestions for you!

Not under my house they won't!

If I can lay my hands on a chainsaw that should do the trick (carefully). But if not, I will chip away with a hand-saw. I have done it before. You just need to be patient and persevere. Last time was through railway sleepers and they took four minutes each. These are a bit bigger and the orientation is not as nice. I'll dig around them and I think they will be 15-20 minutes each.

I am actually more worried about the concrete. Some of it is quite thick and dense and will take a bit of shifting. Let's see how I fare tomorrow.

mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 28-1-2017 at 21:27

I have a spare room in my current place and I am considering moving my lab out of the shed and inside.

Pros of the move:

• The shed is too hot to work in during the summer and too cold during the winter, and too humid all the year round for storing electronic equipment, sensitive reagents, or books & notebooks
  • The wiring is inefficient to the point of throttling high-power devices like the hot plate, and verges on a fire hazard
  • I have been unable to stop the roof from leaking, and when the combination of humidity and temperature is just right (and it usually is), the condensation means indoor rain anyway
  • The roof's problems have been fated to worsen ever since my attempt at the Glauber HCl synthesis geysered.
  • It's too small for more than one person
  • That's okay, because the floor feels unsteady with more than one person in it
  • There would still be no in-room running water, but I the bathroom would be right next door (vs hauling buckets too and fro for washing at present)
  • Disrepair has given the whole thing an... unsettling aesthetic
  • Converting the spare bedroom to a lab would keep me from being tempted to live with another roommate ever again, and save me a great deal of heartache, neckache, and getting scammed out of rent.

The Cons:

• Being nearly open-air, the shed is as well ventilated as one could want, whereas I'd be potentially sharing an atmosphere with the residence.
  • I will need to find a way to ventilate without heating/air conditioning the whole outdoors
  • I would have to take double precautions to keep the cat out.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards moving it in, but I still need to think about the logistics involved.... I'll need to clean and paint first anyway, so I've got some time to think about that.

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-1-2017 at 22:03

Are you able to install a decent extractor fan? If you can suck out the nasties then indoors sounds ideal.
And kinda related... I have been impressed with how UC235 copes with the hazardous gas situation safely without a fumehood. There is much good practice to be learned right there.
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  28

Go To Top