Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question About Cheap Digital pH Meters
jpsmith123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-11-2005 at 18:07
Question About Cheap Digital pH Meters

Does anyone know how well the cheap ebay variety of digital pH meters work for testing chlorate and perchlorate solutions? Thanks.

Regards,
Joe
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 21-11-2005 at 08:53

I was given some cheap plastic pH meters. First I was pleased the freebies, however, I found I had to re-calibrate them before nearly every reading. I'd calibrate, get a reading and then 5 mins later the things had drifted way off.

I have heard good report about some cheap meters being stable, but not in my experience, so i think it would be pot luck. We paid about £140.00 for ours at work a couple of years ago and it is still really solid. (needs re-calibrating every year or so).

I guess it depends on your requirements - if it is going to get industrial levels of use and the results are for quality controll or something where you really do not want a spurious reading, then get a decent one. If you only want to test occassionally then you might be ok with a cheapie. Suck it and see.
lordmagnus
Hazard to Self

Mood: No longer annoyed ( I found a new girlfriend)

[*] posted on 16-1-2006 at 23:53

I bought a HANNA instruments CHECKER model, it works well for my lab, and my aquarium. After about a dozen test over a two day period,I rinsed the tip with distilled water, shook dry, and placed in the 7.01 PH buffer solution, and it had drifted more alkaline, so I adj. the 7.0 set screw on top, back till it gave a steady read of 7.01-7.02 and all is well again, for the $30 I payed, it is a great little instrument. I also use it to check the life remaining in my citric acid stop bath for my black and white photography.

I\'ll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he is gonna start a fair fight, or if he\'s bothrn me allot, or if I am getin payed good, or probably over a good woman.

-Jayne Cobb (Serenity)

dedalus
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2007 at 12:43

Quote:
Originally posted by lordmagnus
I bought a HANNA instruments CHECKER model, it works well for my lab, and my aquarium. After about a dozen test over a two day period,I rinsed the tip with distilled water, shook dry, and placed in the 7.01 PH buffer solution, and it had drifted more alkaline, so I adj. the 7.0 set screw on top, back till it gave a steady read of 7.01-7.02 and all is well again, for the $30 I payed, it is a great little instrument. I also use it to check the life remaining in my citric acid stop bath for my black and white photography.

Enthusiastic second!

That Checkr is one of the best values around.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 12:01

Go To Top